W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0505: idle control system malfunction?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
my 505 code has been acting up the last couple days.
i had to clear it about 4 times already in 2 days.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by benz_addict
Stock.
Also getting the code P0106 now... very rough idle after some time. I am going to replace the Manifold Air Pressure Sesnor ($53) and start from there. Good start?
I replaced that my self took me half hour to find the sensor (LOL) and abother 30 mins to replace.

For me the P0106 was caused by the Y-Pipe that attaches to the TB was not on properly due to the flimsy plastic tabs that broke off that secure it to the TB. I made a custom bracket and now it's on TIGHT. Cleared the code and hasn't came back on since (been 300 miles)

As for the P0507 code, for me it was the TB wiring. The TB extension harness that connects from the TB to the harness (about 2ft long) was defective some how and the pin connectors were bad. That was dealt with and after the TB needed re-adaptation. Cleared the code and didn't come back. Hope it doesn't.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
I replaced that my self took me half hour to find the sensor (LOL) and abother 30 mins to replace.

For me the P0106 was caused by the Y-Pipe that attaches to the TB was not on properly due to the flimsy plastic tabs that broke off that secure it to the TB. I made a custom bracket and now it's on TIGHT. Cleared the code and hasn't came back on since (been 300 miles)

As for the P0507 code, for me it was the TB wiring. The TB extension harness that connects from the TB to the harness (about 2ft long) was defective some how and the pin connectors were bad. That was dealt with and after the TB needed re-adaptation. Cleared the code and didn't come back. Hope it doesn't.
do you have a part number for the tb harness extension piece? how was it "dealt" with. i get that code to occasionally and i'm not sure what causes it
Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Originally Posted by prodigymb
do you have a part number for the tb harness extension piece? how was it "dealt" with. i get that code to occasionally and i'm not sure what causes it
I'm sorry, I don't have the part number. I got the wiring soldered from where the extension connects.

On the other hand the god damn P0106 code is back with the rough idle. I replaced the MAP sensor already. How can I check if the MAP is getting the correct voltage?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
On the other hand the god damn P0106 code is back with the rough idle. I replaced the MAP sensor already. How can I check if the MAP is getting the correct voltage?
If you have 80mm throttle body, it may be the throttle body. I had the exact same codes and exact same problem. Think some of the throttle bodies (80mm) that are or may be compatible with the e55 don't work for the CL55, so that may be the case with you. Even may be the case with some E55s and certain years with certain throttle bodies. The throttle body was throwing those codes. If you have scanner, check throttle body % at idle. Should be about 3%. Mine was at 1% with 80mm throttle body. Also may be vacuum leak. Check the brake booster cable plugged near the firewall. There was a seal inside that was leaking just a tad and that was the reason for the rough idle in my car. Had that replaced, idle was much, much improved, but still threw codes until I swapped the throttle body. If you can get someone with a smoke machine to put smoke through your lines, they can pinpoint if and where there is a leak. If no leak, may want to try throttle body swap (stock or perhaps 82mm). I put stock throttle body back on and no codes since and normal idle (~550rpm) now.... over 2k miles. Hope that helps. It is a real pain in the butt.

Last edited by jicl55; 11-08-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 273 Posts
2005 E55
guys I did a 82mm tb and im also getting p505 and sometimes p507.is it an air leak or the tb itself?also my idle is like 650 ish what is considered normal?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Originally Posted by skratch77
guys I did a 82mm tb and im also getting p505 and sometimes p507.is it an air leak or the tb itself?also my idle is like 650 ish what is considered normal?
I still get the p0505 code but it doesn't bother me anymore, at least not until it's smog testing time. For now I just clear the code. We checked everywhere for vacuum leaks tp no avail, so I'm starting to think it's just that 82mm tb. Vadim tried to help me out too with some advice. The issue has been more persistent in the cooler winter weather and I'm noticing a huge gas mileage drop when the code is on. Once it's cleared gas mileage is markedly improved. We're talking 13-14mpg averaging 30mph with error code on, versus 15.8 - 16.5mpg averaging 30mph when the code is cleared.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
I still get the p0505 code but it doesn't bother me anymore, at least not until it's smog testing time. For now I just clear the code. We checked everywhere for vacuum leaks tp no avail, so I'm starting to think it's just that 82mm tb. Vadim tried to help me out too with some advice. The issue has been more persistent in the cooler winter weather and I'm noticing a huge gas mileage drop when the code is on. Once it's cleared gas mileage is markedly improved. We're talking 13-14mpg averaging 30mph with error code on, versus 15.8 - 16.5mpg averaging 30mph when the code is cleared.
really thats not good,I need to smog soon and I cant get a sticker now.i was told the 82mmtb was plug and play with no codes.

are there people running a 82mm without throwing codes?

when you clear your codes I think the car has to re adapt and your fuel trims are reset so that might be why your always getting different mpg since your not giving your car enough time to set its ltfts
Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
Skratch you might be right. When I reset, however, it only clears one code at a time. I don't know if that would reset any adaptations or anything other than the single code. I use an old ODBII scanner, very basic handheld. This code is annoying because sometimes it will come on again after a hundred miles of driving, and other times it will go away on it's own within a day of coming on. Then when I'm really lucky it will stay off for several hundred miles before triggering again. If no one has a sure fix (I've read and tried everything others have suggested here on the forum) I will put the stock unit and y-pipe back on 200 miles before smog check.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Im going to see if mine has a leak,i think that is why were getting codes,or it just might be a volt difference on the 82mm tb that is pissing the ecu off.

did you try the reset tb procedure?

funny thing is today in sitting at a light,my car had the smoothest idle it ever had,you couldnt even tell if the car was running.I thought I fixed the damn issue after the tb re calibration reset and I was like finally,this thing is running clutch.

got home and scanned it.

idle control malfunction code

Last edited by skratch77; 01-14-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
I haven't tried the tb reset procedure. Hook me up with a link if you have it. I couldn't find it with a search. I did the usual though, checked for leaks between TB and s/c, y-pipe and tb, vac hose under the TB, checked phenolic spacers for any uneven surface, tightened all hose clamps, etc.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 PM

2003 cl55 (sold)
It maybe your guys' throttle bodies. If you have to do smog, you may have to put the stocker back on to pass. Also, which 82mm did you use? One off of a 550 or a tuner company's? Exotic Metal had the same issues I was having with a 80mm, but he then used a 82mm directly from a S550 and I do not believe he has had a problem with codes or idle since.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Im getting the code and tried alot of things but no luck,still waiting to get back from a mb tech on some specs.

I think its the tps% at idle thats causing it to throw the code.I will scan my brothers stock car once I get a chance.My car fully warmed up is at 1.1% in park and from what Iv searched its supposed to be around 3% can someone confirm?

can that be adjusted in star also,I went to my dealer and they had no idea what Iwas talking about.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Some TPS sensors will cause the car to sit at 1% while others will be at 3%. I'll send you another one to try.

Im getting the code and tried alot of things but no luck,still waiting to get back from a mb tech on some specs.

I think its the tps% at idle thats causing it to throw the code.I will scan my brothers stock car once I get a chance.My car fully warmed up is at 1.1% in park and from what Iv searched its supposed to be around 3% can someone confirm?

can that be adjusted in star also,I went to my dealer and they had no idea what Iwas talking about.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Jerry@LETMotorsports
Some TPS sensors will cause the car to sit at 1% while others will be at 3%. I'll send you another one to try.
Hey Jerry just took my brothers car out from the storage and we scanned it,his car is bone stock and once warmed up he is at like 3.0% and 2.7% in drive

If you could send me another to try that would be awesome because I dont want to take apart my stock one because I know that works perfect and dont want to mess up its calibration and end up with 2 messed up sensors.

Not sure if they come calibrated from mb,maybe I can move the blade a little,or like you say if some run at 3% that must be why its throwing the code.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
got 2 days with no p505 code and for the second time it threw a 106 code in 5th gear when the s/c kicked in(light throttle)but lots of engine load.

running a smoke test threw it this week and if it comes up with no leak Im taking the tb off.Now I know why there were so many 80 and 82mm tb for sale.

I mean what are the odds that were all getting the same codes thrown?I thought I was lucky and was only getting the 505 code and thought it was finally gone these past few days but now I got the 106 code and need to reset it and start all over again.

heres a little help if your dealing with the 505 code.

when you reset the ecu,drive it around as much as possible with out idling and try to pass as many emissions as you can.Our ecus are kinda picky,now if you get the stupid code DONT do a reset.trust me,just keep driving around and the stupid thing goes away on its own.Iv done this 3 times now.Shut it down and do a cold start the next day and your 505 code wont be there without a reset.Now I think the 106 code might be tuning related since I can get it to come up when i put alot of load on the car,it might be over boosting for the map its in ect.i can repeat the code,it does it in 4th sometimes and if your in 5th and punch it on the highway it will throw it real quick and shut down the s/c.

I dont know if its tune related because I never ran it with my older tune but the new tune I have threw the 106,and my ltfts are +7.8 on both banks

Last edited by skratch77; 02-15-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:59 AM

2003 cl55 (sold)
got 2 days with no p505 code and for the second time it threw a 106 code in 5th gear when the s/c kicked in(light throttle)but lots of engine load.

running a smoke test threw it this week and if it comes up with no leak Im taking the tb off.Now I know why there were so many 80 and 82mm tb for sale.

I mean what are the odds that were all getting the same codes thrown?I thought I was lucky and was only getting the 505 code and thought it was finally gone these past few days but now I got the 106 code and need to reset it and start all over again.

heres a little help if your dealing with the 505 code.

when you reset the ecu,drive it around as much as possible with out idling and try to pass as many emissions as you can.Our ecus are kinda picky,now if you get the stupid code DONT do a reset.trust me,just keep driving around and the stupid thing goes away on its own.Iv done this 3 times now.Shut it down and do a cold start the next day and your 505 code wont be there without a reset.Now I think the 106 code might be tuning related since I can get it to come up when i put alot of load on the car,it might be over boosting for the map its in ect.i can repeat the code,it does it in 4th sometimes and if your in 5th and punch it on the highway it will throw it real quick and shut down the s/c.

I dont know if its tune related because I never ran it with my older tune but the new tune I have threw the 106,and my ltfts are +7.8 on both banks
It is most likely the throttle body if the smoke test came up negative. Like I said, went through the same things (with an 80mm from a CL600) and it doesn't seem uncommon. As soon as I put the stocker back on, no codes and haven't had any since. Who knows why it works for some and doesn't for others. Before you go through the whole uninstall/install process, if you can get your hands on one, try an 82mm from a 550 engine.

Exoticmetal had the same problems as me (and you and many others) and used one from a S550 (273 141 03 25) and hasn't had a problem since, as far as I know. It is the same displacement as our engine, so maybe that is why it is better or correctly calibrated, I really don't know. The idling seems to be a problem (or very light throttle).

It should be about 3% at idle. I think the code seems to show up specifically when idling or light throttle because the flap is barely open and the engine is barely getting any air. It senses that more air is coming in than it is allowing, thus thinking it is a vacuum leak and throwing the related codes.

I believe the ECU (or TPS or somewhere in between) is is trying to compensate for what it thinks is a vacuum leak and trying to close the throttle body (to about 1%). If you can't get one off of a 550 (CL550, E550, S550, CLS550, CLK550 (or GL450, I believe also), put the stocker back on and chalk it up to experience.

It might be the tune also or something else according to the times you believe it to come on and with the supercharger shutting down and all that. That never happened to me, so it may be something related or totally different (IC pump, incorrect wiring?), or it is going into some sort of limp mode, but do think it is most likely the TB. My codes would always be pending until it finally threw the CEL a little later. I cleared it, did the throttle body reset, etc. and it always came back. A couple of times, like you stated, the code went away without clearing it, but always came back some time later (sometime p505, sometimes p106, sometimes both). I also experienced erratic idle when at stoplights or cruising. I dealt with this for about a year, so I tried just about everything before going back to the stock TB. (At the time was not aware and never tried the s550 throttle body and would have had to pull out the supercharger inlet anyway since it was the 80mm one and either get the 82mm one or have it machined, so was over it and put all stock back on).

Hope that helps, good luck and keep us posted. Such are some of the joys and headaches of modding.

Last edited by jicl55; 02-15-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Im hopiing the smoke tests shows a leak,but deep down I know it wont.My car drives and idles perfect.

I talked to a tech at kleemann and said the throttlebody needs to be 2.7 or 2.8 degres at idle,the ecu is either closing it to compensate for a leak,or the tb we are using is not calibrated for our cars.

my last resort is a 550 tb,but I feel like Im doing all the R&D here,its 1100 bucks from the dealer.I was told it was a plug and play setup and after talking to many in pms everyone is getting the code and the people that arnt either have a 550 tb or one from renntech or kleemann(witch use mercedes tbs)I went to my dealer and had them use star to figure it out and they reset the tb and said there were no other codes.

The bar/map 106 code puts my car in limp mode when it comes up,if im in a gear that puts too much load on the car it will throw it instantly,like I feel the s/c kick out and bam check engine light goes on.

It never did that with my older tune but on the flip side,you guys are getting that same code with the bigger tbs.

If anyone has a 550 tb that I can borrow,or even buy please let me know,its my last resort before giving up.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Keep in mind that the mounting flange may be different on the MB 82mm as compared to the EC version.
Seems like your IPW needs a bump to correct the LT trims. Are you tuned for the throttle body?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Keep in mind that the mounting flange may be different on the MB 82mm as compared to the EC version.
Seems like your IPW needs a bump to correct the LT trims. Are you tuned for the throttle body?
they use an adapter plate and if needed I would make a new one to fit ect.What is the 113 part number for the 550?I have a few numbers but they dont come up on parts.com.

Im suppsed to have a tune for it but I havnt got a chance to get it back on the dyno to see the a/f becasue Iv been dealing with the codes the tb is giving,so it has a base tb tune that not tweaked yet.

btw,what does ipw stand for and a positive LT means its adding fuel right?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
TB# 2731410325, gasket# 2731410680.

IPW= injector pulse width.
I assume "+" means it is adding fuel, which would make sense with the greater air flow of the 82mm.
Is this the second 82mm throttle you have tried?

Keep up posted of your progress.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Why am I just seeing this thread now!

I just got all my goodies installed this past weekend and BAM.

CEL

I just put on a 80mm which was derived from VRP. 180mm pulley / tune from Eurocharged. Along w/ HE & pump.

I don't have a scanner but I'm assuming these codes are from the TB install.

So....

WTF do I do now. It seems like everyone is still racing with this setup. Should I not be driving around with these CEL. I guess first off, I would need to get a scan to see exactly what they are.

If I have to pull the TB, i'm going to loose my mind
Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
I've managed to live with it lol
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM

'05 E55, '06 300c SRT8
Eurocharged 82mm TB - code P0505

What a surprise, me too! Eurocharged says I must have a leak somewhere. Seems odd that none of us can install a TB correctly.

Todd
Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 AM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 SQ5 / 2012 Ferrari FF
Anyone mind any magic bullets for the P0505 code? I get that occasionally now after my 82mm TB install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: P0505: idle control system malfunction?