MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Oil change on an E63? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/305214-oil-change-e63.html)

1 BAD BURB 06-25-2009 10:25 PM

Oil change on an E63?

I need to do one soon, like this weekend. The messages are going off on the dash. while i know its not urgent, i want to get this done asap.

I have always done my own oil changes. I usually use Amsoil or Royal Purple. I will probably go with RP since its readily available.

So, questions are:
-How many qts? (my old E55 used 8qts, does this use 8 as well?)
-What grade oil? (i used 10w40 on my E55)

I assume the filter is the top mounted version in which i can just unscrew, swapfilters and o-rings.

Any other tips on doing the change? like should one side of the car be higher then the other due to location of drain bolt?

Thanks guys!
Aj

nick 55 06-25-2009 10:52 PM

M156 engines are very critical of oil due to the variable cam timing. 9.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40, the oil filter, and a drain plug seal(generic copper seal is fine) are what you need. Oil filter is on top, under air cleaner front cover, drain plug is you know where. Good luck!

Nick

sack5000 06-25-2009 11:43 PM

Do a search for a thread on this topic and there are many, have fun and good luck.

BenzoBoi 06-25-2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by nick 55 (Post 3593765)
M156 engines are very critical of oil due to the variable cam timing. 9.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40, the oil filter, and a drain plug seal(generic copper seal is fine) are what you need. Oil filter is on top, under air cleaner front cover, drain plug is you know where. Good luck!

Nick

Spot on....:y

1 BAD BURB 06-26-2009 01:06 PM

thank you guys
can anyone tell me what size the copper crush washer is? or do they just use generic sizes that i can find at any parts store?

thanks guys!

P.S i did a search and nothing comes up specific for an E63. lots on the E55.

lomita 07-27-2009 06:39 PM

Where's All The Pics?

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB (Post 3594503)
thank you guys
can anyone tell me what size the copper crush washer is? or do they just use generic sizes that i can find at any parts store?

thanks guys!

P.S i did a search and nothing comes up specific for an E63. lots on the E55.

How'd the oil change go? Got pics?:X

Jon2007E63P30 07-27-2009 09:28 PM

To change the oil.

1. Get 10 qts of 0W-40 Mobil1 European Formula or 10 qts of 5W-40 Mobil1 ESP Formula M. The first you can get at Walmart, the second you need to get from an online vendor. According to Mobil

The product is not available from retail outlets at this time but you can purchase the product from your local Mercedes-Benz dealer. Please use our Find Mobil Products locator to find the dealer closest to you; search by "Service Facility."
Both of these, and only these, will maintain your warrantee. The 5W-40 is the more recent recommendation, but the other has not been removed.
2. Buy oil filter and drain plug washer from your dealer.
3. Get a big oil pan. 10qts is a lot.
4. Remove the rear plastic engine shield (under the car), the front one does not need to be removed.
5. Remove the front enginer cover (the one on top with the MB emblem) by carefully pulling up. Every time I remove mine I always feel like I will break it.
5. I would remove the oil filter first as it has a system designed to drain the dirty oil into the pan. Found this on the filter manufacturers web site.
6. Give it time to drain - while waiting, put in the new oil filter.
7. Put the plug back in with the new washer, re-attach the engine shield (make sure to tighten the screws, a couple of us had them back out and we ended up with plastic scraping the ground). You may find loosening the front shield makes putting the back one on easier.
8. Fill with 9qts, start up the engine to fill the oil filter, re-check the oil level and top off to get within spec on the dip stick.
9. Put the engine cover back on.

Did I forget anything?

5W-40 web search gave me
http://mooreballiewoil.thomasnet.com...ic-?&forward=1
Cheaper is
http://avlube.com/mo1espfom5wc.html

g.smiley 08-03-2009 10:17 PM

^^^^Thanks jon.

What about using an extractor pump right through the engine? Would make life a tad bit easier..

1 BAD BURB 08-03-2009 10:31 PM

i ended up just taking to the nearest quick lube change. i was out there with them watching and hangin out so i know everything went as it was suppose to.

i just got lazy and didn't want to get under the car and do it myself. So, it cost me about 90 in parts (filter was $20 from dealer (DAMN!) and oil was $70 from parts store) quick lube place charged me $15. all said and done, lot cheaper then going to the dealer. what do they charge, like 200???

Aj

Jon2007E63P30 08-04-2009 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by g.smiley (Post 3653572)
^^^^Thanks jon.

What about using an extractor pump right through the engine? Would make life a tad bit easier..

Do a search on the PL, I think there is a statement regarding draining rather than extracting.
Found it

Dear bjecsc,

Thank you very much for your post.

The drain plug at the front of your E 63 AMG engine is not convenient for draining the oil. Following the service instructions on the E 63 AMG, only the drain plug in the oil pan at the back of the engine is appropriate for draining the oil. Extracting through the dip stick is not possible either. A nearly complete emptying is guaranteed while your engine is at operating state temperature. A possible remaining quantity in the front area is negligible.

We hope this information finds you helpful.

Best regards,
AMG Private Lounge Team

Jon2007E63P30 09-07-2009 02:56 PM

Wanted to let eveyone know that I found Mobil1 5W-40 ESP Formula M at Pep Boys in San Jose on Stevens Creek.

It is a brand new item for them.

Rovel 03-23-2018 04:41 PM

I am very confused re: how many quarts of oil I should be pouring in. I had oil changed twice since I got the E63. Both times I drained the oil from the pan. Didn't drain the oil cooler. First time I put 8.5 quarts as the oil cooler may hold about 1 quarts of oil. It was over the max reading and I drained some.

The second time I put 7.5 quarts and the oil is right at the max sign. How 7.5 quarts could bring the reading to the max? Even if the oil cooler had 1 quarts, that would make it 8.5, not 9.5 as many folks state here.

Is the dipstick lying?

Yuille36 03-29-2018 10:22 AM

The car holds a total of 9.2 quarts, the issue your having is that you don't drain the oil cooler which holds about a quart by itself. I personally put in 9 quarts, warm the car up then check the level again and add more if needed. Grant you, I drain the oil cooler each and every time.
Also I don't want a quart of dirty oil mixing in with my new clean oil. I know it will happen with all the residual oil left inside the crevices on the engine. But to a lesser extent. :nix:

BetterTomorrow 03-30-2018 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30 (Post 3642361)
To change the oil.

1. Get 10 qts of 0W-40 Mobil1 European Formula or 10 qts of 5W-40 Mobil1 ESP Formula M. The first you can get at Walmart, the second you need to get from an online vendor. According to Mobil

Both of these, and only these, will maintain your warrantee. The 5W-40 is the more recent recommendation, but the other has not been removed.
2. Buy oil filter and drain plug washer from your dealer.
3. Get a big oil pan. 10qts is a lot.
4. Remove the rear plastic engine shield (under the car), the front one does not need to be removed.
5. Remove the front enginer cover (the one on top with the MB emblem) by carefully pulling up. Every time I remove mine I always feel like I will break it.
5. I would remove the oil filter first as it has a system designed to drain the dirty oil into the pan. Found this on the filter manufacturers web site.
6. Give it time to drain - while waiting, put in the new oil filter.
7. Put the plug back in with the new washer, re-attach the engine shield (make sure to tighten the screws, a couple of us had them back out and we ended up with plastic scraping the ground). You may find loosening the front shield makes putting the back one on easier.
8. Fill with 9qts, start up the engine to fill the oil filter, re-check the oil level and top off to get within spec on the dip stick.
9. Put the engine cover back on.

Did I forget anything?

5W-40 web search gave me
http://mooreballiewoil.thomasnet.com...ic-?&forward=1
Cheaper is
http://avlube.com/mo1espfom5wc.html

Oil in the oil cooler? I didn't measure mine (as I just let it pour/drip into the pan) but a good half liter or more seemed to come out.
If you drain all oil from oil pan, oil cooler, and extract oil from oil filter housing and through dip stick (for whatever is left over in the pan), car should be pretty much dry.
Then putting in 9.5 liter (not qts, liter) should get you right at the upper mark of dip stick.

I just did mine with 5W40 Motul 8100 Xceed.
I had Mobil 0W40 Euro before and it was okay.
But with Motul, I could tell the difference right away.
Perhaps different grade oil (0w vs 5w) caused the difference, but the car feels smoother all around and quieter as well.

Rovel 05-24-2018 11:29 PM

Hi guys,
Will be doing 3rd oil change soon and want to drain all the oil including the oil cooler this time. I cannot find a diy post showing the location of the oil cooler drain. Can someone either explain where the cooler drain is or link me to a good diy post please?

Also bought motul 5-40 this time instead of mobil 0-40 as a) it is warm outside now b) mobil is too watery to me.

Yuille36 05-25-2018 09:16 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9004800bd9.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9ba0f4f1f8.png

The oil cooler drain plug is located basically right under the radiator, and the drain plug is located on the right side, look for the oil cooler lines. But you have to remove the from engine belly pan to access it.
Hope that helps.

Rovel 05-25-2018 09:24 AM

Thanks a lot! Will certainly help. Will take all the plastic covers out to find the plug.

Best.

Yuille36 05-25-2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rovel (Post 7462363)
Thanks a lot! Will certainly help. Will take all the plastic covers out to find the plug.

Best.

As soon as you removed the front belly pan, you'll do doubt see it. As it will be right in front of you, and you'll quickly locate the plug, as it is on the bottom right side, but left of the cooler line. As the photo shows.
It holds about a half quart of oil, remove your oil filter cap, and the cap for the engine oil, this will allow air in and help the oil drain better.

Rovel 05-28-2018 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Yuille36 (Post 7462374)
As soon as you removed the front belly pan, you'll do doubt see it. As it will be right in front of you, and you'll quickly locate the plug, as it is on the bottom right side, but left of the cooler line. As the photo shows.
It holds about a half quart of oil, remove your oil filter cap, and the cap for the engine oil, this will allow air in and help the oil drain better.

Hi, just wanted to thank you for the info on the cooler drain plug. Was able to find it easily. It looks like nobody ever touched that as I broke the seal around the bolt.

I then put 8.5 liters of Motul and I am above the max mark according to the stupid updated dipstick. I think it is not accurate as I can’t put more than 8.5 regardless I drain the oil cooler or just the pan. I wish I kept the factory dipstick

Yuille36 05-29-2018 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rovel (Post 7464582)

Hi, just wanted to thank you for the info on the cooler drain plug. Was able to find it easily. It looks like nobody ever touched that as I broke the seal around the bolt.

I then put 8.5 liters of Motul and I am above the max mark according to the stupid updated dipstick. I think it is not accurate as I can’t put more than 8.5 regardless I drain the oil cooler or just the pan. I wish I kept the factory dipstick

Something doesn't seem right here, your car holds exactly 9.2 quarts according to factory specs, and the owners manual even states that. I always put in 9.5 quarts and the level is always near the higher end of the dip stick but between the marks.
If you can only put in 8.5 quarts, your car will eventually tell you to add another quart. I would check with your local Mercedes dealer to see if you have the correct dipstick. Your cars hold more than 9.2 quarts....trust me.

amgE63amg 08-16-2018 07:37 PM

oil cooler drain on 2012 e 63

Does anyone know if the washer needs to be replaced just like on the oil drain plug and if it does is it the same washer on the oil drain plug my dealer couldn't find the part so if anyone knows the size and type of washer or part number thanks

Rovel 08-16-2018 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by amgE63amg (Post 7530792)
Does anyone know if the washer needs to be replaced just like on the oil drain plug and if it does is it the same washer on the oil drain plug my dealer couldn't find the part so if anyone knows the size and type of washer or part number thanks

It is the same washer on E63. I bought bunch from the stealer at $3.5 a piece and replace both washers when changing oil.

Yuille36 08-16-2018 09:22 PM

Buy them from RockAuto or Autohausaz as they are much cheaper, and not $3.50 each from the stealership. :y

amgE63amg 08-17-2018 12:06 AM

washer

Dealer I called said 1.5 cad for the oil plug washer so there both the same washer the oil plug and oil cooler drain

hachiroku 08-17-2018 12:15 PM

i ordered the washers from Pelican Parts...they're pretty cheap. Also, paired with Motul 8100 5-40w ordered as a 4pk from Amazon.

Aluminum Washer - 12 X 18 X 1.5 mm,
Brand: Fischer & Plath
Part #: 12X18X15AL-M131$0.25
$5.00

Oil Filter,
Brand: Hengst
Part #: 000-180-30-09-HE-INT$9.75
$48.7
Engine Oil Flush - Liqui Moly Engine Flush,
Brand: Liqui Moly
Part #: 2037-M19$12.75
$25.50