Sponsored by:

Transmission experts, need advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper SRT10, E55, Evo VIII, c6 Z06,CLK55, GT-R
Transmission experts, need advice.

I ran into a dilemma the other day, the beast started leaking transmission fluid after a 1500 mile trip. The car was sitting for 3 days after the trip before I noticed the puddle of red transmission fluid under it. I had the car towed to a local dealer and got the run around on the status of the diagnosis from what I thought was a stand up dealer, guess not. I was told that the transmission pump housing was cracked and that the tranny/torque convertor needed to be replaced as the pump itself isn't a replaceable part. I've never had any shifting or derivability issues with the car at all, so this came to me as a surprise. I'm confused about the pump, as far as I know almost every pump is replaceable no idea why the tranny/converter needs to be replaced. I haven't driven the car after the leak so I doubt the any internal parts were harmed, any insight on the issue is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by NYC E55
I ran into a dilemma the other day, the beast started leaking transmission fluid after a 1500 mile trip. The car was sitting for 3 days after the trip before I noticed the puddle of red transmission fluid under it. I had the car towed to a local dealer and got the run around on the status of the diagnosis from what I thought was a stand up dealer, guess not. I was told that the transmission pump housing was cracked and that the tranny/torque convertor needed to be replaced as the pump itself isn't a replaceable part. I've never had any shifting or derivability issues with the car at all, so this came to me as a surprise. I'm confused about the pump, as far as I know almost every pump is replaceable no idea why the tranny/converter needs to be replaced. I haven't driven the car after the leak so I doubt the any internal parts were harmed, any insight on the issue is appreciated. Thanks!
I am by no means an expert, but I too thought that every pump would be replaceable given that any pump would eventually stop or need to be replaced If the car is not under warranty, I would take it to an independent Mercedes shop and see what they think just to keep the dealer honest.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
NYC,

This is not a common issue, but it happens - and the problem is you don't really notice that the pump has gone out until you have leaked out a lot of fluid and therefore have burnt up the TC. You need to check your transmission oilpan for metal shavings because the entire transmission might need to be replaced as well.

I had an almost identical thing happen to me, and I wound up getting a new trans and TC. Thank GOD for extended warranty.

-m
Old 06-30-2009, 04:06 PM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
A1402700197... ask you dealer about this part number and see what comes up...
Old 06-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
NYC,

This is not a common issue, but it happens - and the problem is you don't really notice that the pump has gone out until you have leaked out a lot of fluid and therefore have burnt up the TC. You need to check your transmission oilpan for metal shavings because the entire transmission might need to be replaced as well.

I had an almost identical thing happen to me, and I wound up getting a new trans and TC. Thank GOD for extended warranty.

-m

I definitely understand what you're staying, I'm very meticulous with my cars and I know for a fact that the E didn't have any sort of leak whatsoever. The sudden leak came out of nowhere. I'm sure the dealers trying to cover their *** by going ahead and trying to replace the trans/TC but the service advisor was 300% sure that the pump wasn't replaceable which I highly doubt.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by TopEndS62
A1402700197... ask you dealer about this part number and see what comes up...
lol, I'm guessing it's the trans oil pump. Can't trust anyones words nowadays... Whatever happened to honesty ?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
I definitely understand what you're staying, I'm very meticulous with my cars and I know for a fact that the E didn't have any sort of leak whatsoever. The sudden leak came out of nowhere. I'm sure the dealers trying to cover their *** by going ahead and trying to replace the trans/TC but the service advisor was 300% sure that the pump wasn't replaceable which I highly doubt.
I know, that's how it happens. The pump gives out little by little and at first you will have a small leak, hardly noticeable. A lot of it will burn on the transmission housing. You probably won't notice. By the time the pump has shaken enough to empty out fluid, it's already too late. I cannot comment on whether or not the pump is replaceable, but if it took out the TC chances are that the trans is full of shavings too from not being properly lubricated. My trans was OK, but my tech pushed the warranty company to replace the trans even though it might not have needed it. Didn't cost me anything extra so I was for it as well. In the end, we got a new trans and TC.

-m
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
What is a puddle? a few drops, tea spoon, table spoon, 6 0z. The most common transmission leak is the "O" ring for the electronic plug and after a long drive can actually fill the wire loom with ATF then when you let it sit it it leaks out.

BTW a cracked pump housing/cover will gush ATF, hard for anyone with any mechanical aptitude not to notice.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
What is a puddle? a few drops, tea spoon, table spoon, 6 0z. The most common transmission leak is the "O" ring for the electronic plug and after a long drive can actually fill the wire loom with ATF then when you let it sit it it leaks out.

BTW a cracked pump housing/cover will gush ATF, hard for anyone with any mechanical aptitude not to notice.
+1 the "O" ring seal have been known to leak on earlier models and is actually an easy replacement.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master

It was actually a puddle, I went over to the dealer to check the car out on the lift but they had it off the lift and outside in the lot. I'm sure the transmission needs to be off in order to conclude that the pump was cracked, nothing was off, from what the service writer said they did a quick visual and made that assumption. We'll see tomorrow when I head over when they have the car up on the lift. Thanks for the advice thus far guys.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
nyc e55 what dealer is this?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Be sure to see the crack for yourself and ask to see the fluid and filter to inspect for metal shavings from the TC. They may be trying to take you for the run and sell you the whole trans and TC. Bring a camera and take pics--may bring out honesty in the dealer.

I would ask a good Euro Indy if the pump is a separate component of the trans (I think it should be as it is on many others vehicles). Most dealers cannot/do not work on subassemblies of larger components (i.e. supercharger bearings in the Lysholm). Internal trans components may not be any different...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 AM

I will be sure to check it out tomorrow. A tech friend of mine also mentioned the same thing. Most of the tech's aren't capable of performing such tasks so they just have them change out the whole unit instead of bits and peices.

Last edited by NYC E55; 07-01-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
I tech friend of mine also mentioned the same thing. Most of the tech's aren't capable of performing such tasks so they just have them change out the whole unit instead of bits and peices.
Spot on accurate!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
I am a mercedes tech and the pump is replaceable. I would call BS on this diag. I have never even heard of a pump being cracked. I have probably rebuilt around 100 of these transmissions and only a couple have had pump problems. You are right that most technicians today cannot work on a transmission. The only reason that you would have to repl. the torque converter is if the pump bearing damaged the shaft. There is a possibility that the pump could also have damaged the front cover. None of this is remotely capable of being diagnosed in the car. But honestly you probably do not want these people working on the car if this is their response. The pump is around 500.00 and should cost around 10.0 hrs flat rate to repl. If your adaptations are all ok and there is no debris in the pan
then the rest of the transmission is ok.
If your transmission does need to be repl and the torque converter, I would get an used one. What has happened is actually very rare and the price difference can buy you a couple of transmissions.
Good luck.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
I will be sure to check it out tomorrow. A tech friend of mine also mentioned the same thing. Most of the tech's aren't capable of performing such tasks so they just have them change out the whole unit instead of bits and peices.
Hey NCY E55, sorry to hear about this. Any update?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Check with these people. Ask for Ty
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/index.shtml

Last edited by AgSilver; 12-11-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added link