W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod integration v. plugging into the glovebox?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E 63 AMG Mercedes Benz
Ipod integration v. plugging into the glovebox?

Do you have the ipod integration if you can plug the ipod into the aux port in the glove box? If not, what advantage does the Ipod integration give you - because it allows you to listen to the Ipod. I don't know if i have it or not, but i can plug it into the glove box and listen. My dealer told me the ipod integration install is under $800, but what additionally does it give you???

From reading the posts, I guess, that you can listen to the ipod through that glove box port whether you have the ipod integration or not? Anyone who has it is worth it? I read the DIY with all of the pix and the install DIY is explained well, but I would definately pay the dealer to do it for me - have someone to take it back to if any problems. Thanks in advance for all the reviews.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
If you listen to your iPod a lot I suppose it's worth it. It gives you the actual iPod connector which not only plays your music at better quality (with the in-line amp) than the glove box connector, but it also charges your iPod, and allows you to control it through the COMAND or the steering wheel.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I installed myself,it is a project but for me was simple.
It was way worth it to be able to control from the steering wheel
controls and all the info comes up on hte instrument cluster
Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 AM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
I have the factory installed kit. The only advantage I see is that the kit powers the iPod. But if you have a newer iPod (I have a Touch) you need an adapter for it to charge.

Yes, the kit allows you to control the iPod through the steering wheel, but it is somewhat cumbersome. And I don't recommend you try to do it while you are driving. The default play is by song rather than playlist. Maneuvering to playlist (or any other sort) using the telephone buttons should not be done while driving. I usually set the sort that I want on the iPod before I plug it in to the kit.

If you search the forums for "iPod" you will find many discussions of this issue.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:14 PM

2006 E55
I wouldn't get the kit bc I rarely listen to my iPod but I would like to know where exactly is the aux port for the rare days that I do listen to it. Do all E55's come with aux port?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E55
open your glovebox and look near the top left you should see an aux port. then on your command press the audio button so you see the screen that lists radio, cd, cd changer.... on the top right you should see an aux option.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 PM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by iceman-kimster
I wouldn't get the kit bc I rarely listen to my iPod but I would like to know where exactly is the aux port for the rare days that I do listen to it. Do all E55's come with aux port?
I don't think all E55's come with it. Mine did not, but it's an 03.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
from what i understand, all w211 55's that have the comand system have the aux port on the rear of the unit... i believe 04 and up, or 05 and up, the port was extended to the glove box at the factory... for other vehicles, you can buy the aux cable that will allow you to extend it to the glove box...

i have heard that with the ipod integration kit, you have to sacrifice the aux port input of the unit... for those who have the ipod kit, is this true? if that's that case i personally would keep the aux port giving you the scalability to plug in not only an ipod, but other devices as well...