Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to this 55 motor?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 300ce
never been in one of these motors but seen alot of engine explosions over the years

my guess is the exhaust head separated from the stem first, that valve head really took a beating on all angles and finally did the piston in ~~~ if you look at this piston tops and the relief in the center, that valve bounced around in there till it broke the center of the piston (thinest part) ~~~ and at WOT unattached pieces go to the least resistance

my other guess is the exhaust valves are 2 piece construction, and the joining area failed
Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Ok, it seems the general opinion is, that the exh valve helped the piston break into peices and make a 55 into a glorified rock tumbler.

What catastrophic event weakened the exh valve? They are hollow stemmed and sodium filed.

What damage started the blow-by on two previous WOT runs? The damage had started and the next run it all went.

I want to make sure that I do not repeat this event or any others?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
What catastrophic event weakened the exh valve? They are hollow stemmed and sodium filed.
Are all 55's exhaust valves sodium filled? I thought only the SLR's had sodium filled exhaust valves...
Old 07-18-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars with Stars
i faced two times the problem of a gone y-pipe support ring (in the rubber hoses between airfilter housing and throttle body is a metall support ring integrated, to beware the hose of getting bend under high intake air velocity) with a similar result. if the airfilter isn"t removed or installed with great care, the ring could be bend and as a result it, ther ring may fall out and getting sucked towards the throttle body. now during wot the ring fits thrue the throttle body and will cause some damage and a lot of splinters on the supercharger rotors. these chips are also able to pass the fine intercooler channels and will reach now the intake ports and zylinders.
in one case i faced, only the cylinders where seized, on the other nearly same damage as on your engine happend (exhaust valve broke (stucked because of metal chips) and piston damaged, not completly gone like on your engine.

Last edited by Rouven036; 07-18-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Buick T-Type, 70 cuda, S65 and a very FAST Truck!
I had very similar thing happen to my old corvette. It ended up being a throttle body blade screw had backed out of the throttle body and made its way to the #8 cylinder.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:45 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
knowing about the bellows rings , is great info. I have and have had the 80mm bellows from the 08 sl55. I just pulled the bellows off again to triple check the rings inside. They are still there and not loose or missing .

The newer -larger bellows seem to really have the rings molded well inside the bellows.

Are all 55's exhaust valves sodium filled? I thought only the SLR's had sodium filled exhaust valves...
I am not sure about that. I can see the insdie of the valve stem on the broken #8 and it is hollow.