W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEM, 2.82 Gearing and Quaife install

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Thats kind of the point we will never hit the limiter in 5th with a 2.82 - heck we might not even do it with a 3.06 ... a 2.65 has no chance.

A 2.65 at redline in 5th gives 224 mph
A 2.82 at redline in 5th gives 211 mph
A 3.06 at redline in 5th gives 194 mph

Looking at that I kind of regret not getting a 3.06...

But I wanted a car that could break 200mph.... at 6175 rpm with my tires I should be bang on 200mph....

Just need to find a long enough road and a MASSIVE intercooler reservoir...
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car is sorted and running...... !

OK guys my car finally running properly after the following mods...

2.82 SL55 Diff swap
Quaife ATB
HEM's
TCU / EGS reprogramming by Kleemann
front washer lowering

Its the first time I have been able to drive the car properly since all this work was done.

Firstly on the install - the hardware is the easy bit. If you got the tools and patience most enthusiasts could do this work. Software took some sorting. Kleemann were very good in this regard I have to say. They shipped my EGS back and forth twice (at their cost) to get it right. The first time there was no real difference and car was still throwing 0730 code (incorrect gear ratio). The second time the car would not start - nothing nada.

Now just got the final tune back and I can say the follwoing:-

The drive & but dyno....
    This car needed a Quaife out the dealership door. Really its day and night getting power down out of corners and gives you massive confidence.

The gearing is most notable in 3rd gear where the car pulls very hard and also gassing it in 5th gear... pulls very hard.

Traction
    Well I have not had much problem here at all - seems the Quaife and gearing are complementing each other very well here... make no mistake catch it at the right spot in second gear and its all lights... With the faster shifting I am able to time the first to second shift much better in manual.... was never really able to do this. The PS2 even though 1cm narrower than my old BS 285 are a joy - when the car squats - they grip.

The HEM's have changed the sound of the car to be more "metallic" sounding if that makes any sense... seems to have smoothed out the top end more and feels as though the car is pulling more in the top end than before - although so much has changed its a little difficult to isolate, and its been so long since I drove the car hard. The sound has definitely changed and its for the better to me.

The washer lowering mod....
    Well I am complete tool. When I reassembled the one front wheel sensor I had inadvertently flipped the one sensor 180deg. So the car was trying to lift itself into orbit on the one corner. Quick re-re and back she came to normal. I now bottom out when entering and exiting my driveway but quick push of a button sorts that out. Can't say anything about handling yet but makes the car look much more balanced in ride height.

What a joy to drive - its like having a new car again...

Would I do the diff again?

Without hesitation IF:-
    I had a cheap SL55 diff available and you have to add a Quaife if you are going to shorter gears...
    I had the EGS software side resolved. Its best to let the guys have the car for this as its difficult for them to simply fiddle with the EGS in isolation.

Now I am off to fit my rear reservoir (39L) and this should be my last mod for a while....

BTW when I previously had the vibration under braking and I swapped out the rear discs - it initially went away - well its back ... no clue whats going on here mbe the front discs are gone too...?

Any further info I will post up - but overall one happy camper!

Last edited by stevebez; 09-11-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM
    MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
    ML550
    Congrats on having the patience to work through the issues and getting it back on the road! You really need the Brembo GTs now that you're much faster with all of that Quaife traction . . .

Last edited by komp55; 09-11-2009 at 03:31 PM.
    Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
    Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    S600TT, R350
    Steve, congratulations on getting it running!

Enjoy the HEMs!
    Old 10-07-2009, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    ck430 2002
    I just got my diff from Dronsfields for my clk430 and im very happy with it also i think the company is great.

Originally Posted by stevebez
    Place called Dronsfields. Not bad... packaging needed to be more robust, but they try and sort things out. There was another one going somewhere else but they wanted £1100 for it !!! Go to breakeryard.co.uk I think was the site I used... or google breaker yards.

I am chatting with Wetterauer and MKB re the software... Ill try Kleemann next. I first want to see what the car does when I drive with this ratio. It will certainly throw a code but I just want to see if it will go into limp mode - or still be drivable.

Got all the stuck bolts loose. The Caliper bolts were a nightmare as well as the rear casing diff bolts. Unreal - they must have used a can of locktight on each nut... Diff (now "loose") gets pulled tom and the new one goes in. May need to change back plates on the donor diff with the oem unit but thats minor. Hopefully it fits as is. If not the bits inside the SL diff get swapped into the oem diff casing ...

So far so good. Would definitely been done already if I had use of a lift but trestles it is for now... and the work continues.

Would have been quite enjoyable were it not for the stuck bolts and the carmped working conditions ... but hopefully the hard stuff is done.
    Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 AM
    MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool I found them very helpfull... and knowledgable!