Few tech motor questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Few tech motor questions?

I have about 3K on the new motor but had a few questions. One,,, the blower is way louder than my other blower and wondering why? I used to have to roll down the windows on a cold day and punch it to hear the blower whine.. Then only at high rpm. This blower screams almost right away and with windows closed. Normal? I now this question is subjective.

My heads are not rebuilt and came with the new motor and blower. I seem to heave a lot more rocker arm or valve train noise. Gets better after the motor is real warm but still seems to be loud. Are the rockers installed torque to yeild? Do they have a lash setting? Any reason they could be ticking?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I'm going out limb here, I might be wrong.. That being said. It might be your pistons causing the noise. Fodged pistons like wiseco expand more when they are heated. So maybe the noise is reverbarating up though the valves. Once they heat up and expand in the cylinder the noise could go away because the piston has expanded. There is a possibility over time the forged wiseco pistons could beat up the lined bore from expansion(Not sure on that though). Also the piston expansion might be not only expanding out, but up and down as well.

Again I could be wrong but its something to think about.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 08-21-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I'm going out limb here, I might be wrong.. That being said. It might be your pistons causing the noise. Fodged pistons like wiseco expand more when they are heated. So maybe the noise is reverbarating up though the valves. Once they heat up and expand in the cylinder the noise could go away because the piston has expanded. There is a possibility over time the forged wiseco pistons could beat up the lined bore from expansion(Not sure on that though). Also the piston expansion might be not only expanding out, but up and down as well.

Again I could be wrong but its something to think about.
I disagree, having built several engines with Forged pistons, all new forged pistons have a % Silicone content for quick thermal expansion to reduce the diesel clatter in the bore that was inherent in forged pistons of the '70s and '80s during a cold start-up.

Yasin
Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by slownrusty
I disagree, having built several engines with Forged pistons, all new forged pistons have a % Silicone content for quick thermal expansion to reduce the diesel clatter in the bore that was inherent in forged pistons of the '70s and '80s during a cold start-up.

Yasin
I dont disagree with you at all. It makes me wonder what the % of silicone is on these forged pistons compared to the OEM pistons. Would it be safe to say if the % of silicone in the forged piston is less then OEM it may be a possibility of some chatter?

Last edited by hooleyboy; 08-21-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
It makes me wonder what the % of silicone is on these forged pistons compared to the OEM pistons
I just bought a set of JE custom forged pistons I will see if the Data Sheets shows the silicone % on them.

Would it be safe to say if the % of silicone in the forged piston is less then OEM it may be a possibility of some chatter?
No it would not be safe to say that.
Yasin
Old 08-22-2009, 09:51 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I have some slight, slight knock on start up. I mainly hear valve train noise , that is louder than my other engine.

I know the Nickasil /forged or even wiseco combination is used in a ton of aftermarket motors. Porsche rebuilds use the same combo all the time and at the high perfoance level.

What I could have is to loose tolerances for this build. MB dealer built the motor but rings were file fit by a reputable performance shop. They had the build sheet but still could be to loose. Build sheet spec. was .0035. I think the material is 2618. Did not list silicone %.

I seem to be using about 1qrt every 1K so far. Strange thing, is there is zero smoke at start up, no smoke while reving and very little steam/smoke coming out the oil cap at idle. No leaks either.

The light weight wiseco`s really rev quickly, as compared to stock.. Motor is very strong, even in this 100 deg. heat. Will dyno soon, just to see and do a leakdown test.

These custom pistons were skirt coated with Armorglide.

Some of our forged pistons offer our new ArmorGlide™ skirt coating, which is the result of testing, development, and benchmarking through Wiseco’s rigorous in-house dyno program. The outcome is the ultimate in skirt coating toughness, lubrication, and bond technology working together to minimize friction, maximize horsepower, and provide improved wear resistance. Not only is ArmorGlide™ a high-tech lubricant that reduces friction, but it also allows the piston to be fitted tighter within the bore allowing a better ring seal and reduced noise from piston rock.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 08-22-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55

I seem to be using about 1qrt every 1K so far. Strange thing, is there is zero smoke at start up, no smoke while reving and very little steam/smoke coming out the oil cap at idle. No leaks either. [/b]
So 3 qt in 3k miles, Thats not normal.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Forged pistons typically require more cylinder wall clearance than cast hypereutectic pieces. Owing to their metallurgical composition and its physical properties, they tend to expand more when subjected to heat regardless of their barrel shape. Of course, manufacturers and engine builders strive to run them as tight as possible to help maximize the rings’ pressure retention and minimize blow-by.

Note that their actual hot running clearances are supposedly virtually identical – just enough to avoid scuffing - but by virtue of their larger (garage temperature) clearances, some cold start slap is to be expected and considered ‘normal’ by many. Point being, .0035 inch clearance pistons have a greater likelihood of generating discernible noise than those fitted with only .00175 inch – during a cold start. Don’t know if Wiseco offsets their wrist pin boss like the OEMs to reduce ‘rocking.’

MB has published that oil consumption in excess of one liter per 1000 kilometers is sufficient to warrant further investigation and, perhaps, repairs. One percent of an engine’s fuel consumption is another oft spoken workshop rule of thumb. Some newer BMW M and Porsche engines - with their OE forged pistons - will regularly consume almost that much oil, even when run-in properly.

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
..Motor is very strong, even in this 100 deg. heat...
Isn’t that what’s most important to hot rodders anyway? Know you’ll get it back on the track this autumn.

Valve train noise on a hydraulic roller rocker/compensator engine such as ours is not normal. Excessive valve-to-guide clearance may be the culprit if everything else checks out okay.

Your ‘55 likely has a new personal best in its future.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:24 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by splinter
Forged pistons typically require more cylinder wall clearance than cast hypereutectic pieces. Owing to their metallurgical composition and its physical properties, they tend to expand more when subjected to heat regardless of their barrel shape. Of course, manufacturers and engine builders strive to run them as tight as possible to help maximize the rings’ pressure retention and minimize blow-by.

Note that their actual hot running clearances are supposedly virtually identical – just enough to avoid scuffing - but by virtue of their larger (garage temperature) clearances, some cold start slap is to be expected and considered ‘normal’ by many. Point being, .0035 inch clearance pistons have a greater likelihood of generating discernible noise than those fitted with only .00175 inch – during a cold start. Don’t know if Wiseco offsets their wrist pin boss like the OEMs to reduce ‘rocking.’

MB has published that oil consumption in excess of one liter per 1000 kilometers is sufficient to warrant further investigation and, perhaps, repairs. One percent of an engine’s fuel consumption is another oft spoken workshop rule of thumb. Some newer BMW M and Porsche engines - with their OE forged pistons - will regularly consume almost that much oil, even when run-in properly.

Isn’t that what’s most important to hot rodders anyway? Know you’ll get it back on the track this autumn.

Valve train noise on a hydraulic roller rocker/compensator engine such as ours is not normal. Excessive valve-to-guide clearance may be the culprit if everything else checks out okay.

Your ‘55 likely has a new personal best in its future.

Thank you for all the info. The Wiseco`s were custom made off a stock OEM MB piston. They just used their there little standard race modifications.The offset was the same as the OEM offset and if the MB tech put them all in right, then they should be offset correctly.

Skirt was a little shorter, they were about 20% lighter when you add in the wrist pin. Coated skirts, some land improvements and oil mods. Other than that, they pretty much were identical to OEM.

Fuel MPG seems to be exactly the same. I get about 21.5 to 22.1 mpg driving on 200 mile trips. Cruise set between 73-76mph..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Motor Questions

Your description sounds like the car I am considering buying. This car has only 19k miles but the supercharger squeals alot and the valvetrain is noisy. Did you fix your noises? Any advice?
Thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by preston27
Your description sounds like the car I am considering buying. This car has only 19k miles but the supercharger squeals alot and the valvetrain is noisy. Did you fix your noises? Any advice?
Thanks
My S/C only screams when I punch it. These cars do not sound like most cars at idle. They are louder under the hood, as you do hear valve train sounds , S/C turning and at times pulley noise. My noise is still the same. I have not done anyting about it and may not.. I may check the valve lash, if thry are not torque to yeild.

If that does not work,, then I am sure a good set of long tube headers will make the noise go away..
Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Been a long time since I had forged pistons and those motors were so loud, you would not hear the pistons rattle. I think they were set at .009 in those days..lol

I found a lot of info on forged pistons noise and oil usage..

1. Forged pistons expand at a greater rate, requiring additional piston to wall clearance. The forging process makes the piston material density increase, this causes the additional growth when heated and is responsible for the added strength. The additional clearance required by the growth can account for the forged piston “sound” of the piston rattling in the bore, especially evident on cold start. This can be reduced with skirt cam design, offset wristpins and piston material, but your new forged piston engine will be louder than your original OEM cast piston engine.

2. Part cost. The forged pistons are more costly than there OEM cast counterpart. Some of this is the result of lower production numbers of “shelf” pistons, as well as complete custom pistons that are sometimes needed to meet a certain dome/dish design.

3. Oil consumption. The additional clearance, as well as shorter skirt designs for increased stroke engines that rely on tighter/narrower ring packs for packaging reasons, can lead to oil consumption that is greater than the cast piston engine. Most street/performance engines will consume less than 1 quart in 1500 miles, although this can vary depending on environment and use.