Question about Cancelling Extended MB CPO Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
Question about Cancelling Extended MB CPO Warranty

Hello,

Sorry if i'm not posting in the correct forum. I have searched the board extensively and can't find an existing answer.

I have an '06 cls55 that i bought used from a MB dealership in '07. At that time, I purchased a 1 year/100K mile extended CPO warranty from the dealership for $2,395. However, now that I drive the car very little (~1500 miles/year as i have a commuter car for work), I want to cancel the extended CPO warranty.

The car had 24K miles on it at the time I bought it, and I have put less than 3K miles on it in a bit over two years.

So, i contacted the dealership and told them I wanted to cancel it and get a refund. Initially they said "no problem, send us a fax stating so, and we'll get you a refund.". Well, after a couple weeks go by and no check in the mail, I call them back and they say that they are having a problem getting the money back from MBUSA, as they are stating that the 1 yr extended CPO warranty was "not an option, and part of the sale of the car". This despite the fact that the extended CPO warranty was "sold" to me as an option at the time that i bought the car.

In the end however, the dealership did refund me $800 of the $2,395 and basically said they were doing it as a favor to me and that the CPO warranty cost $1,595 from MBUSA and could not be cancelled/refunded. I guess that the $800 difference was dealership profit? Regardless, if what they are saying is true, then I do appreciate that they did refund me the $800.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but does anyone have any experience with this, or know if the dealership is telling me the truth before i try to contact MBUSA directly to try to cancel it and get a refund?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BlackKompressor; 08-23-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Normally when a Mercedes dealer sells any certified pre-owned Mercedes, the vehicle automatically comes with 1-year/100,000 miles warranty at no additional charge to the customer. This 1-year warranty can not be canceled because it is not even purchased by the customer; instead it is included as an incentive with any certified pre-owned Mercedes sold by a Mercedes dealership. If the dealer offered you optional warranty at $2395, then you technically have 2-year/100,000 mile warranty on the car. And that extra year of warranty can indeed be canceled.

You'll need to look at your initial contract and see why and for what they charged you the extra $2395 exactly.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Normally when a Mercedes dealer sells any certified pre-owned Mercedes, the vehicle automatically comes with 1-year/100,000 miles warranty at no additional charge to the customer. This 1-year warranty can not be canceled because it is not even purchased by the customer; instead it is included as an incentive with any certified pre-owned Mercedes sold by a Mercedes dealership. If the dealer offered you optional warranty at $2395, then you technically have 2-year/100,000 mile warranty on the car. And that extra year of warranty can indeed be canceled.

You'll need to look at your initial contract and see why and for what they charged you the extra $2395 exactly.
Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your help.

Looking at the sales contract, it is described as "CPO warranty 1yr/100K miles" under line 1.A.3. "Other" for $2,395.

Under 1.J. "Optional Service Contract" it says N/A-$0.

The dealership is telling me that because it is listed under the first section, "Cash Price of Motor Vehicle and Accessories", that it is part of the purchase of the car and therefore MBUSA will not refund me the money or allow me to cancel. So, in that sense, what the dealership is claiming makes sense. My only problem with it, is that when I bought the car, this was presented as an "extended 1 yr/100K mile CPO warranty" and purely as an option for me to buy.

Also, there was never any mention of a 2 yr/100K mile extended warranty, only the 1 yr/100K mile CPO extended warranty.

Thanks again in advance for any insight.

Last edited by BlackKompressor; 08-23-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: forgot to include info