W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another newbie on the forum with a few questions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Another newbie on the forum with a few questions....

Hey guys –

This might be my first “real” post other than some lurking. It’s a very helpful forum.

I’m a long time BMW guy who is heading to the MB stable for my next car. Just not a fan of the new BMW products. Stories for another day.

Anyhow, the reason for the post is to ask a couple of questions. I have searched the forum archieves and read many of the old posts, so I hope not to be repeating too much of what’s been said…so here goes…

I am looking for, most likely, an e55 or an e63. I am driving a BMW 550i (6 speed, sport pkg) right now.

I have found an ’03 e55 at the MB dealer in Indianapolis – 30k miles, asking $31k – (probably a bit high), but its their starting point. Seems to be in excellent shape – but no warranty. Thus, a warranty would have to be part of my purchase, I presume. Also looking at a couple of ’05 cars nearby too.

Question #1: is there much of a difference in the 2003 cars and the later models, 2005 & 2006 that I should really consider? The mileage (30k) seems very reasonable for a now 7 year old car.

Question #2: Would you trust an MB dealer on the condition of the car, or would you get Prepurchase inspection elsewhere?

Question #3: I am not a “modder” and wont do much, if anything to the stock car. I’m also not a track guy – just a car enthusiast who drives aggressively in town and on the highway. I am wondering if perhaps paying the extra money to go from the e55 to the e63 might be a better option for me. It would probably have more warranty, and it seems that the e63, while having a bit less torque, is damn near as fast, and perhaps a bit smoother – both shifting (the newer 7 speed tranny) and brake wise. If I’m a guy that prefers a bit more refinement, is the e63 the better answer? I do like the look a bit more as well - but again, cost cannot be ignored.

Question #4: I have heard from a couple of folks that the AMG cars do not handle quite as well as the BMW cars. Now, I realize that I have always run with the BMW crowd, and handling is certainly a subjective thing, but I wondered if any of you guys are former M5 or 5 series “sports package” owners who might chime in. Again, I’m not worried about drifting or track oversteer/understeer – just general handling on the curvy country roads between my home and office.

All thoughts VERY much appreciated.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 / 2008 E63
My short answer to 1-3, get a CPO 06 e55 from a dealer. Can drive a hard bargin on the 06, and the delta between 06 55 and 07 63 is still a bit steep. Best bang for the buck, latest tech on an e55 and CPO lets you sleep at night. Item 4, have had a 7 series sport pkg before. For your requirements, more than enough for the curves. Kicking over to the paddles is a blast, as is taking 516lbs tq out of a corner. My 2 cents.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by jdeastbay
My short answer to 1-3, get a CPO 06 e55 from a dealer. Can drive a hard bargin on the 06, and the delta between 06 55 and 07 63 is still a bit steep. Best bang for the buck, latest tech on an e55 and CPO lets you sleep at night. Item 4, have had a 7 series sport pkg before. For your requirements, more than enough for the curves. Kicking over to the paddles is a blast, as is taking 516lbs tq out of a corner. My 2 cents.
+2...If you can't get a CPO...get an aftermarket warranty. E63 will handle better...but again best bang for your buck is still 06' E55.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
I looked for an unmodded e55 for a while, had a hard time finding one that was either stock or not repaired. Then I got a great deal on the 63, bought that. Stock for Stock, the cars are equally quick up through the quarter mile. I know this because my buddy has a stock e55 and we take them both to the track and they quarter mile almost exactly the same, sometimes he is a hair quicker, sometimes I am. That being said, with the 55 it is a torque play vs. a more finesse play on the 63. The 55 gives a satisfying push in the back with no real lag at effortless RPM, but you are a BMW driver, and the 63 motor delivers power much more like a bimmer, the power builds progressively with the revs, and the motor is a sweet piece. It also carves corners better, but it is not quite as sharp as a BMW. The e55 feels a little "truckish" in comparison. The seven speed is a nice tranny, but if you've been lurking you know there is no rev matching on the downshifts in the 09 and earlier E63's, while there is on the C's. If you are going to drive long distances, the ride/handling balance is IMHO much better in the benz than the bimmer. I also sense there is less to break in a 63 vs an M5... it seems a little more straightforward. I agree that there are excellent values to be had on the 55 right now, and I also think you should wait until dealers get some 2010 63's in the showroom which should crush the price on the 07-09 e63's as dealers panic with the "older" bodystyle and people start trading in for the new body. The other thing is how long you are going to keep it. Both of these cars depreciate like stones, but the question is how well will the 63 motor hold up after 100k miles? I know that most people start getting nervous buying forced induction cars after 100k miles, so their resale drops precipitously after that point, but not sure how that will work with the 63 motor. It's NA, but at 11.3 to 1 compression it is pretty high strung! Oh yeah, and don't even think of getting one that is not certed. The Cert process makes them replace all the stuff that is more than half worn, so they always cost more to start, then the Cert costs a lot. But one failed sunroof motor or some random engine component later, I'll bet the cert pays for itself. Word of warning: four brakes on my e500 with rotors at the dealer: 1g. Front brakes and rotors on the 63: 3g. put away a little more in the "general maintenance" fund. Blah, blah, blah, drive them both, then decide!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Zax63
I looked for an unmodded e55 for a while, had a hard time finding one that was either stock or not repaired. Then I got a great deal on the 63, bought that. Stock for Stock, the cars are equally quick up through the quarter mile. I know this because my buddy has a stock e55 and we take them both to the track and they quarter mile almost exactly the same, sometimes he is a hair quicker, sometimes I am. That being said, with the 55 it is a torque play vs. a more finesse play on the 63. The 55 gives a satisfying push in the back with no real lag at effortless RPM, but you are a BMW driver, and the 63 motor delivers power much more like a bimmer, the power builds progressively with the revs, and the motor is a sweet piece. It also carves corners better, but it is not quite as sharp as a BMW. The e55 feels a little "truckish" in comparison. The seven speed is a nice tranny, but if you've been lurking you know there is no rev matching on the downshifts in the 09 and earlier E63's, while there is on the C's. If you are going to drive long distances, the ride/handling balance is IMHO much better in the benz than the bimmer. I also sense there is less to break in a 63 vs an M5... it seems a little more straightforward. I agree that there are excellent values to be had on the 55 right now, and I also think you should wait until dealers get some 2010 63's in the showroom which should crush the price on the 07-09 e63's as dealers panic with the "older" bodystyle and people start trading in for the new body. The other thing is how long you are going to keep it. Both of these cars depreciate like stones, but the question is how well will the 63 motor hold up after 100k miles? I know that most people start getting nervous buying forced induction cars after 100k miles, so their resale drops precipitously after that point, but not sure how that will work with the 63 motor. It's NA, but at 11.3 to 1 compression it is pretty high strung! Oh yeah, and don't even think of getting one that is not certed. The Cert process makes them replace all the stuff that is more than half worn, so they always cost more to start, then the Cert costs a lot. But one failed sunroof motor or some random engine component later, I'll bet the cert pays for itself. Word of warning: four brakes on my e500 with rotors at the dealer: 1g. Front brakes and rotors on the 63: 3g. put away a little more in the "general maintenance" fund. Blah, blah, blah, drive them both, then decide!
Great thoughts, all of which are much appreciated.

I like the look and performance of the M5, but the transmission situation is unsettling. I didnt like the SMG around town when I test drove the car, but the 6 speed clearly wasnt designed for the engine and is the throwback tranny from the 2003 M5 - and i cant imagine that working as well as it should.

The problem is that right now, all the nice 2006 e55 cars online all have 40k miles, which is really more than I want, even in a CPO car. I will keep looking, with an eye towards the e63, which sounds like the better fit for me.

Thanks again for the thoughts.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
I AM NOT A MODDER

WOW We've never heard that before

give it time my new friend
Old 09-04-2009, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
I AM NOT A MODDER

WOW We've never heard that before

give it time my new friend
Oh that slippery slope...I started with tinted windows and for some reason I couldn't stop...