W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day at VIR this weekend with E55... Any advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Audi A3
First day at VIR this weekend with E55... Any advice?

I've never been to a track before. I'm attending the Tarheel and Toe Driving School with my 2006 E55. Anyone have any advice for me? Traction Control off or on? Suspension Sport II? Anything else?

What kind of extra oil would you bring?

Thanks in advance!
-Forrest

Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
Use the stiffest suspension mode for the best cornering performance. Put your tire pressure at approx 32 psi warm all the way around and adjust from there. Watch some videos at the vir website to learn the basic layout of the track. First few laps will scare you as many of the turns have elevation changes that make it unnerving. Once you memorize the track you will pick up a lot of speed in the turns. I have raced my s600 there twice and loved the experience. Brakes can overheat and fade after a few hard laps. You will love it once you learn the track. Keep the traction control on for sure as the ESP can save your ***.

Last edited by Stephen04E55; 09-09-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 PM

E55 Estate
You will LOVE VIR!

I agree, go to the VIR site and watch some videos. The track is tough, but the elevation changes make it one of the best on the East Coast. I would leave the TC on, Sport 2. What tires do you have on your car? If they are all season you may want to jack up the pressure a bit. Good luck, have fun, and have someone take pics for you to post here.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
I agree with the others, tightest suspension settings, full nanny mode. Do a little research on your tires and see what pressures others have used.
Don't worry about the people going by you, that will change when you get used to the car and track.
Listen to your instructor, even when it doesn't feel right.
Bring whatever oil you have in the engine, you likely won't use much.
Check your tire pressures after each session and keep track of how the car worked at those pressures.
Enjoy.

Oh, get one of these and you'll enjoy it even more!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I would love to go to VIR! I'v ebeen trying to go for a while but it never works out. I agree with what everyone has said. I've been to Summt Point a few times and hopefully after I get my car tuned I will get a chance to run at VIR
Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 PM

997.2 GT3
What transmission mode do you guys use? Are the electronic brains smart enough not to shift mid corner while in S?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
I would change for racing brake fluid. The brake pads should be ok unless your really pushing. With a good fluid you shouldn't completely loose your peddle no matter what. Take everything out of the car. No coins rolling around or floor mats to get tangled up in the controls. Spare and jack out. Detail spray out. Microfiber towels can stay in the glove box. Start with a full tank of gas because you'll use all of it. Unless the track has a pump of course. And man o man are you going to love the experience.

Les
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I had a student in an E55 there at the June Marque Madness event...I drove the car and it's quite well balanced and fairly fast. Keep your eye on tire pressures and temps; it helps to have a good pressure gauge and needle pyrometer for temps.

Listen to your instructor and just try to learn, don't worry about speed the car is plenty capable already, you don't need to do a thing to the car in terms of mods, stock is best at your level. Keep an eye on your brakes and fluid; as a begginer your not likely going to be pushing it nearly as hard to fade your brakes assuming it's fluid is fairly fresh and your pads are in good shape.

Put the car is sport mode, you can use manual if you'd like I found it's ok either way. The car will have some body roll that's ok...you and your instructor can work on the right settings, some of that depends on track conditions...don't worry too much about the car...just work on learning and your driving with each session that goes by. The tarheel event is a good one...I've been to it many times, instructed at VIR for years and have raced there since 2004 w/ BMW CCA CR and NASA GTS Series in my BMW racecar ...by the way you're there to drive and not to race don't get cought up with other people trying to go faster than them...drivers schools are not timed events and not competative so just relax, have fun with your car, and focus on learning. Enjoy!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by Sunir
drivers schools are not timed events and not competative so just relax, have fun with your car, and focus on learning. Enjoy!!!
can we pin this words !!! Thanks for info Sunir!