Sponsored by:

E63 vs E550 4Matic in NNJ/NYC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Whore
Secondly, theres no way you are fitting 4 wheels and tires in the trunk, and even if you could, you would drive around all year with all that weight in the trunk? Kills your performance so bad you might as well be in an E550! And thats pretty unsightly and really living it "NY Ghetto" (the ghetto things people do in NYC due to lack of space).

If no ML63, then I would say E550 4matic all the way... even if you wern't in NYC, W212 E550 > W211 E63.

IMO.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by NDF55
Poorsod, don't want to threadjack but I'm currently facing a similar problem. I live on Long Island and drive an 06' E55. I can't decide whether to buy some snow tires and mount them on my stock rims or if i should buy an inexpensive all wheel drive daily driver. I even tossed around the idea of trading my car for a Grand Cherokee SRT8 for about five minutes. Maybe the first question we should ask is if a set of snow tires on a rwd AMG is enough to get us through a New York winter safely? Anyone who has any experience with this please chime in.
Yes. I drive around NH and back and forth to NY in the snow with snowies, and the car does great. My friend has an e55 and he drives it as his daily driver in the snow as well, 15 miles back and forth to work. Does fine. The 0-5mph is a bit compromised, but above that the car works perfectly if you know how to drive in the snow. All four wheels, Dunlop snows.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Originally Posted by 220S

Where'd you pick that figure that from? From MB's own W212 E550 website: "immediate power delivery whisks the E550 from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.2 seconds."
Poor MB advertising. I don't want to be "whisked" away. I want to be hurled against the seat like I'm taking off in the space shuttle.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 E63 AMG sedan (sold); E36 M3, E90 M3
awd is for sissies
Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Lincoln LS, ZR1
December 2009 Car and Driver mag has excellent article about seasonal tires. , Conclusion: RWD with dedicated winter tires is better than AWD with all season tires. Have test driven E63, E550, Caddy CTS-V, and Jag XFR. The Caddy is like a rock and fast, but who wants a Caddy ? The Jag is like silk compared to others, but the Nav stinks and reliability is questionable. The W211 E63 was squirrely at full throttle (chassis could not handle the power). The W212 E63 has a far better chassis and can handle the power. All big power (500+ HP) sedans need to make major wheel/tire sacrifices to get the power to the road. The E63 tires are far noisier and harsher than the E550.... and tire life is much shorter. Though I love the orgasmic thrill ride of the E63 under WOT, it will be a very rare occasion when one can realize the higher level of performance afforded by the E63 vs the E550. The only reason to purchase the E63 over the E550 is that it has the AMG badge. For most that is sufficient reason. Make sure you can deal with the tire noise, harshness, wear, and potential damage issues before you make your own decision to buy the E63.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:06 PM

E63 and winters... no doubt
Old 11-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Neither get the E55. If you ever decide you want to go fast you will kick yourself for not getting the supercharged version.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dr. G
awd is for sissies

Tell that to the next 500whp EVO you run into at a traffic light.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 PM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Why do all these first time posters keep reviving threads that are dead and non-issue.

I find myself reading for 6 or 7 minutes before i realize what has happened to me....i come to a point in the thread where i have responded 3 months prior & realize i just wasted 7 minutes reading a story of a guy who has made his mind up & is driving his new car.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
Neither get the E55. If you ever decide you want to go fast you will kick yourself for not getting the supercharged version.
To be truthful if you really want to go very fast why buy a 55???? And why buy a older car when you can have a new one ?????
Old 11-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
To be truthful if you really want to go very fast why buy a 55???? And why buy a older car when you can have a new one ?????
That argument can be made for any car short of a top fuel dragster. New vs old is meaningless when two basically identical cars are being compared and one is supercharged and one is not. The way these cars depreciate anyone who buys a spanking new Benz needs their head examined anyway.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 PM

E63, GT500
I've had an 05 E55 and an 07 E63 and now a 10 E63...I love the the 2010 and I dont think I'm crazy. No need for any examination.

JD
Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 AM

2019 s560 sedan
That argument can be made for any car short of a top fuel dragster. New vs old is meaningless when two basically identical cars are being compared and one is supercharged and one is not. The way these cars depreciate anyone who buys a spanking new Benz needs their head examined anyway.

Happy Thanksgiving.
a 2006 e55 is selling for 37k on average and a 07 e63 is selling for between 50 to 55k . So please show me the depreciation that you are talking about .

YOUR GETTING AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL QUESTION THIS PERSON POSTED .
Old 11-27-2009, 10:06 AM

2007 E63

Happy Thanksgiving.
More power to the people who have the cash and ***** to buy a brand new Merc. It makes these cars attainable for most of us on the used market Why would you ridicule them
Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by teolax
More power to the people who have the cash and ***** to buy a brand new Merc. It makes these cars attainable for most of us on the used market Why would you ridicule them
I have to be honest im not really a MB fan except for the AMG cars in the least. Until the CLS55 was introduced i would not have ever owned a Benz. I Just think its one of the most attractive sedans on the planet. The K55 engine was the deal sealing no brainer. Supercharged v8 "DUH" pulley exhaust tune and its over. As often as i go through cars, there was no chance i was going to fork over $100,000 for a car and have it worth $38,000 3 years later. I will play with this for a while and get something else in about a year, maybe a 996 or GTR.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG

YOUR GETTING AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL QUESTION THIS PERSON POSTED .
I looked at his question and made a recommendation. Based on the fact that if he ever decides that he wants a fast E class. The E55 is a much better choice, this fact is not even debatable.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
a 2006 e55 is selling for 37k on average and a 07 e63 is selling for between 50 to 55k . So please show me the depreciation that you are talking about
Im not sure what kind of E63 driver loigic you're using but its making my head hurt trying to figure your point out. A 2006 E55 in 2006 was a $90,000 car correct? Now you're saying its worth $37,000? i think my point has been made.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:09 AM

2007 E63
I have to be honest im not really a MB fan except for the AMG cars in the least. Until the CLS55 was introduced i would not have ever owned a Benz. I Just think its one of the most attractive sedans on the planet. The K55 engine was the deal sealing no brainer. Supercharged v8 "DUH" pulley exhaust tune and its over. As often as i go through cars, there was no chance i was going to fork over $100,000 for a car and have it worth $38,000 3 years later. I will play with this for a while and get something else in about a year, maybe a 996 or GTR.
I didn't ask why you bought a CLS55 over a 63 engine. I could care less how often you go through cars and I happen to agree with you on buying used over new. I asked why you would ridicule people who enable you to buy that MSRP $100K car for half the price used. Like I said, more power to them...
Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I didn't ask why you bought a CLS55 over a 63 engine. I could care less how often you go through cars and I happen to agree with you on buying used over new. I asked why you would ridicule people who enable you to buy that MSRP $100K car for half the price used. Like I said, more power to them...
What makes you think they enable me to buy these cars? what makes you assume im not able to purchase a $100,000 car? Most of these guys are financed out the *** leased car driving posers who are two pay checks away from losing everything they have.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:02 PM

2007 E63
What makes you think they enable me to buy these cars? what makes you assume im not able to purchase a $100,000 car? Most of these guys are financed out the *** leased car driving posers who are two pay checks away from losing everything they have.
Man, you need reading comprehension. I said they enable you to buy the cars for a fraction of the price, which you seem so high on. This is a 100% true statement that you save money on the cars you covet due to the willingness of others to take what I'm sure they know is going to be a huge depreciation hit almost immediately. I made no comment on your ability to buy new or used. I just found it laughable that you were saying that these people should have "their head examined" for buying new. What makes you assume that these people who buy new can't afford it? I see why someone started a thread dedicated to banning you...
Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Man, you need reading comprehension. I said they enable you to buy the cars for a fraction of the price, which you seem so high on. This is a 100% true statement that you save money on the cars you covet due to the willingness of others to take what I'm sure they know is going to be a huge depreciation hit almost immediately. I made no comment on your ability to buy new or used. I just found it laughable that you were saying that these people should have "their head examined" for buying new. What makes you assume that these people who buy new can't afford it? I see why someone started a thread dedicated to banning you...
They don't enable me to do anything if i wanted to buy these cars new i would have. Additionally,if all these owners could afford these cars so easily there would not be *record* levels of high line repo'ed inventory at auction.

The truth is often insulting to the uninformed

Last edited by Full Throttle; 11-27-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 PM

2007 E63
They don't enable me to do anything if i wanted to buy these cars new i would have. Additionally,if all these owners could afford these cars so easily there would not be *record* levels of high line repo'ed inventory at auction.

The truth often insulting to the uninformed
Right... So from the small fraction of people that have bought new cars and can't afford it you have made the leap to new cars buyers being "Most of these guys are financed out the *** leased car driving posers who are two pay checks away from losing everything they have."?

Again, reading comprehension. I never said they allow or enable you to buy the car, but they do enable you to save thousands on the used version. I can tell this is a waste of time so this is my last comment
Old 11-27-2009, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Right... So from the small fraction of people that have bought new cars and can't afford it you have made the leap to new cars buyers being "Most of these guys are financed out the *** leased car driving posers who are two pay checks away from losing everything they have."?

Again, reading comprehension. I never said they allow or enable you to buy the car, but they do enable you to save thousands on the used version. I can tell this is a waste of time so this is my last comment
Full Throttle is a used car salesman so I think he just sees things from a different perspective, that's all.

Although there's no reason for him to end up insulting people, imho.

I think there are many here who are very financially secure and just go out and buy a new car with cash for the helluva it. That's what I do with some of my bigger bonuses. I like it, it makes me feel good, so no big deal.... life's too short.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:11 PM

Lincoln LS, ZR1
E63 vs E550

Let's forget the $ and image issues and move on. For real world driving is the E63 really worth the huge sacrifice of noise and road harshness due to the tires required to put down 500 HP ? I questioned the dealer about replacing the tires on an E63 with more civilized daily driver tires. I was informed that the result would be a vehicle that basically performs no better than an E550. Beast tires are needed for the beast engine. The only time I really want the full power is at a light that is followed in short order by a merge. A 0-60 mph car at 4 seconds is absolutely better than a 5 second car......but 5 seconds will do in almost all cases. My ZR1 is frighteningly quick off the line....but I don't do drag races at lights with that car. With the purchase of a new E series I will be doing WOT's at the lights. Is there anyone out there that agrees with me about the E63 tire sacrifices for the everyday driver ?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by PSFAN
December 2009 Car and Driver mag has excellent article about seasonal tires. , Conclusion: RWD with dedicated winter tires is better than AWD with all season tires. Have test driven E63, E550, Caddy CTS-V, and Jag XFR. The Caddy is like a rock and fast, but who wants a Caddy ? The Jag is like silk compared to others, but the Nav stinks and reliability is questionable. The W211 E63 was squirrely at full throttle (chassis could not handle the power). The W212 E63 has a far better chassis and can handle the power. All big power (500+ HP) sedans need to make major wheel/tire sacrifices to get the power to the road. The E63 tires are far noisier and harsher than the E550.... and tire life is much shorter. Though I love the orgasmic thrill ride of the E63 under WOT, it will be a very rare occasion when one can realize the higher level of performance afforded by the E63 vs the E550. The only reason to purchase the E63 over the E550 is that it has the AMG badge. For most that is sufficient reason. Make sure you can deal with the tire noise, harshness, wear, and potential damage issues before you make your own decision to buy the E63.
Originally Posted by PSFAN
Let's forget the $ and image issues and move on. For real world driving is the E63 really worth the huge sacrifice of noise and road harshness due to the tires required to put down 500 HP ? I questioned the dealer about replacing the tires on an E63 with more civilized daily driver tires. I was informed that the result would be a vehicle that basically performs no better than an E550. Beast tires are needed for the beast engine. The only time I really want the full power is at a light that is followed in short order by a merge. A 0-60 mph car at 4 seconds is absolutely better than a 5 second car......but 5 seconds will do in almost all cases. My ZR1 is frighteningly quick off the line....but I don't do drag races at lights with that car. With the purchase of a new E series I will be doing WOT's at the lights. Is there anyone out there that agrees with me about the E63 tire sacrifices for the everyday driver ?
I'm not sure what you're really trying to say here..... what, you want a pair of DRs to do WOTs at traffic lights? Or that an AMG is useless over a 550 due to the rubber?

If you don't want the OEM Conti 3s, then put whatever you feel like putting on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 vs E550 4Matic in NNJ/NYC