What do you do in this situation... ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
What do you do in this situation... ?

So on the motorway in the fast lane doing the speed limit (actually fractionally over) following cars in front of me keeping a decent following distance. They move over to let me pass, and I over take them. I remain in the fast lane and a very short while later some chap comes RIGHT up behind me and starts waving arms about as if I am stopping him from saving the world from impending doom.... (The car is an S class, blacked out and debadged and italic number plates - which are illegal here).

I move over slowly - as he is being an a$$ and let him pass - In this instance I gave him a reasonably impolite gesture.... he wanted to have an argument through his passenger window at 70mph, which I did not entertain. Anyhow 0.5mile later he takes the exit... wtf was his rush?

Now if the guy came up behind me but maintained a reasonable following distance I would have a) moved over sooner , and b) surely would not have provided the free impolite gesture.

So my question is ...

What would you have done?

I had half a mind to pull over and have a face to face with the POS.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 CTS V Coupe 6MT
What to do?

I personally keep a supply of 3/4" x 2" bolts in both my C6 and TBSS just for this scenario.

In the TBSS I open the sunroof and just flip a bolt straight up which usually bounces off the "tailgaters" windshield or hood.
In the 'vette I usually wait until the are passing me and I throw one at the side of their car.

Either action results in no more "foreplay" from the retards.

I'm licensensed to carry as well, so my 10mm Glock is plan B

Stay safe, but don't take any shiz!

G
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by dasrok8
I personally keep a supply of 3/4" x 2" bolts in both my C6 and TBSS just for this scenario.

In the TBSS I open the sunroof and just flip a bolt straight up which usually bounces off the "tailgaters" windshield or hood.
In the 'vette I usually wait until the are passing me and I throw one at the side of their car.

Either action results in no more "foreplay" from the retards.

I'm licensensed to carry as well, so my 10mm Glock is plan B

Stay safe, but don't take any shiz!

G
You can't be serious?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Ha, know the feeling.

Other night coming home on the highway.
I see a faster car approaching from behind, only one headlight functioning properly.
Comes right up behind me and starts flashing me to move over.
Now that's fine, however I'm busy overtaking slower vehicles, which kind of gives me right of way, buddy.

In the past, I probably would have brake tested him, a throwback technique from my motocross days. I know its a stupid thing to do, but when you blood starts boiling ...

Anyway, I finish my overtaking, this guy still right up my ****. Then I engaged warp drive , kicked down to 3rd and floored the accelerator pedal right through the carpet. Took it up to, I dunno, 140mph, he just disappeared in my fumes.

Little bit later I take my turn, he finally catches up, but stays on the highway.
EEEEK, a cop car !
Luckily, I didnt flash him a bird or do anything stupid (other than drive way way over the speed limit).

Some days you just do the right things. He is, and remains a dick !

Last edited by AfricaOffroad; 09-25-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
As infuriating as drivers you described are, I always try to take advantage of their stupidity and let them pass and resume their speed and use them as my forward shield and tail them a quarter to half mile behind. Let them get the ticket.

Here in the US if someone opens their passenger window in the left lane of the highway in an attempt to open a line of communication, a little piece of metal can fly right inside that open window and get stuck in their eye. Over here you never know who has what so it is best to let it go.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK .... Glock 23 is a bit OTT but sometimes you wish you had an RPG to thrash up his ar$e...

Sorry - just venting.

Feel better now.

Its best to let them be and leave them alone... One thing about these incidents is not to escalate them... they can get bad real quick.

I would not throw anything at the cars - the brake test is nice but I would without doubt have been rear ended he was so close I doubt he would have seen my lights.

The problem is no one really wants to back down to a tool... and I guess the dilemma of what to do is whats the most infuriating.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
If I see a car coming up quickly in my review mirror I STEP ON THE GAS to see if it's a car worth racing and move over to the next lane. Then from there it's a matter of whats under the hood of that car that will predict the outcome .
Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Just let it go. There are a lot more important thing in life than confronting some random jackass on the road.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM

'05 E55, '69 Chevelle
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
As infuriating as drivers you described are, I always try to take advantage of their stupidity and let them pass and resume their speed and use them as my forward shield and tail them a quarter to half mile behind. Let them get the ticket.

Here in the US if someone opens their passenger window in the left lane of the highway in an attempt to open a line of communication, a little piece of metal can fly right inside that open window and get stuck in their eye. Over here you never know who has what so it is best to let it go.
Well said.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
it is sad that some people are just pathetic. i had the same thing happen to me after I passed a civic on a 2 lane onramp. he got up next to me and want to fight me. i just kept on driving then in an attempt to get me to bite he gets in front of me and starts slammin on his brakes on the freeway - we got down to about 30mph after he almost hit me and then i moved quickly to the left and the SC kicked in he was gone. When I saw him a bit later he was wearing a freaking Ameica's Tire Co work shirt. What a DOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate dumb people!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by efivefiveamg
You can't be serious?
+1
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by chiromikey
+1
Many people do that here in California except they do it with pennies instead of bolts At high speeds, even a penny can crack the windshield, cause a dent, paint chip, scratch, etc....
Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
If I'm in the left lane and a car is blazing up behind me I might move.... If there is room in the next lane for him to go around me I absolutely will not budge. No matter how much he/she is tailgating me or flashing lights/honking/flipping me off... I won't let some ******** inconvenience me when he has every opportunity to go into the lane he's trying to force me into instead.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Esh

E55
And I thought I was an A-hole. In traffic, if I'm in the left lane and I see someone ducking and weaving dangerously behind me, I'll speed up so they can't weave between me and the car next to me. They usually get irate, give me a 1 finger salute, but I could care less. I'd rather have them behind me than in front causing an accident. I don't race them...

On occasion I have been known to put a penny in an exhaust or two after they park, although I would never throw something at another car while it's moving.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Hate to say it guys, , but a lot of you are just reinforcing the "***** in an expensive car" stereotype. The "fast" or left lane is for passing. If you are done passing and can get over, then get over and let others pass. It doesn't matter of you're going 90, you should still yield to some moron doing 100.

In Illinois you can be ticketed for not yielding. Like Yacht Master said, let them pass and then use them as a rollling shield. Acting like the road is only yours to do with as you please will only make you look like an a**hole.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:26 AM

His wife crazy
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bobgodd
If I'm in the left lane and a car is blazing up behind me I might move.... If there is room in the next lane for him to go around me I absolutely will not budge. No matter how much he/she is tailgating me or flashing lights/honking/flipping me off... I won't let some ******** inconvenience me when he has every opportunity to go into the lane he's trying to force me into instead.
And this is why we don't have our version of the Autobahn, which was what our interstate system was meant to be. Without getting into where I'm originally from, that would probably get you punted into a ditch, depending on who you were blocking.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by X2Board
And this is why we don't have our version of the Autobahn, which was what our interstate system was meant to be. Without getting into where I'm originally from, that would probably get you punted into a ditch, depending on who you were blocking.
+1!!!

the left lane on a multi lane highway is a passing lane unless otherwise marked. if you're not passing or are about to get passed (regardless of your speed)...MOVE OVER. it's common courtesy, proper etiquette, basic traffic rules in most if not all states, and not to mention safer than forcing the faster moving vehicle to have to go around.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Many people do that here in California except they do it with pennies instead of bolts At high speeds, even a penny can crack the windshield, cause a dent, paint chip, scratch, etc....
damn that's crazy! if some ***** in a corvette did that to me he should think about being prepared to be picking up fiberglass off the freeway!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by izzyz28
Hate to say it guys, , but a lot of you are just reinforcing the "***** in an expensive car" stereotype. The "fast" or left lane is for passing. If you are done passing and can get over, then get over and let others pass. It doesn't matter of you're going 90, you should still yield to some moron doing 100.

In Illinois you can be ticketed for not yielding. Like Yacht Master said, let them pass and then use them as a rollling shield. Acting like the road is only yours to do with as you please will only make you look like an a**hole.
I am not a fast lane hogger and if someone comes up behind me at speed I always move over for them. But if a chap tries to get his bumper right under mine (after just joining the fast lane) he is driving dangerously and being discourteous at the same time. Why the F should I yield for him?

And this bloke was just as you describe - some wanna be in a debadged S class to boot.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:49 AM
Esh

E55
Originally Posted by izzyz28
Totally agree. I was referring to situations where traffic is moving, but all lanes moving same speed on the main highway I travel.

Here in Portland, Highway 26 East heading into downtown, the highway splits off in 3 different directions (405N, Market Street exit, and 405S). The closer your get to downtown, the more you need to be in the appropriate lane for where you are heading. Approximately 1/4 mile before it splits the lanes become solid white lines as you approach the tunnel right before the highway splits.

As you can imagine, this is what creates the bottleneck I described. People come down the hill approaching the tunnel on 2 long sweeping left and rights ducking and weaving through traffic. Hence the reason I don't let them weave right in front of me as most people are braking going down the hill.

It's not flat here in Oregon.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
The left lane is more or less a passing lane! Even if someone is speeding get the hell out of the way and let them pass. The police will do the job of getting them slowed down. I cant stand left lane riders.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Originally Posted by bobgodd
You are exactly the kind of ignorant ******* this thread is all about.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:41 AM
acb

2005 e55 amg
you smile, push the hate down into a little space, and release it upon a hill on your bike/boxing bag/bench press/AC DC Riff (less likely to get killed and good for your cardio-vas)
Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
having logged over 2 million miles in a big truck and driving 100 miles per day in my car to go to work i have seen it all. let it go. life is full of great things. fast cars faster women and great whiskey. dont waste a moment letting a douche' get you pissed. every time someone gives me road rage i just smile and think ill be home soon and life is sweet!!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by stevebez
I am not a fast lane hogger and if someone comes up behind me at speed I always move over for them. But if a chap tries to get his bumper right under mine (after just joining the fast lane) he is driving dangerously and being discourteous at the same time. Why the F should I yield for him?

And this bloke was just as you describe - some wanna be in a debadged S class to boot.

You said yourself that you remained in the left lane after passing. Perhaps this guy saw you cruising in the left lane while he was still a half mile back, and when he caught up you were still in the left lane, which pissed him off, so he got on your bumper. If all lanes are moving the same speed and you CAN'T get over, then it's a different story, but that's not what you said.

You never know what's going on with other people, and its usually best to be the bigger person and just get over and let them pass. Chances are they'll get pulled over anyways.

Also, if you want to get people on your side it would probably be best to not say things like "some wanna be in a debadged S class to boot". This statement just reeks of elitism, entitlement, and a better-than-you attitude. Maybe next time a guy in a Maybach will flash his lights at you instead of some poor schmuck in an S-class.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you do in this situation... ?