E63 Air Intake Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S
E63 Air Intake Problem

Hi everyone,

So the other day I went to change the air filters to K&N. When I popped the hood I realized the hose going from the front of the car into the airbox was slightly loose, meaning not out of the socket, but the little bumps in the plastic that hold it in place were not aligned and the hose was slightly further back. I thought nothing of it, continued with my K&N installation, made sure both airboxes were clipped back into place when done, and then reconnected both front hoses without any incident. I got into the car and drove off. Today I popped the hood back open to have a friend of mine look to make sure I did the airboxes right, and the same hose was slightly detached again. I was thinking of just putting a little bit of tape on it, because after some testing I noticed it would only pop off after a aggressive maneuver and since it pops off ever so slightly I figure some tape would be enough to hold it in place just fine (instead of going through the hassle of going to the dealer etc.). I plan on putting a piece of duct tape from the top of the hose to the side of the airbox, single piece. Thanks.

-Dave
Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by coold8
Hi everyone,

So the other day I went to change the air filters to K&N. When I popped the hood I realized the hose going from the front of the car into the airbox was slightly loose, meaning not out of the socket, but the little bumps in the plastic that hold it in place were not aligned and the hose was slightly further back. I thought nothing of it, continued with my K&N installation, made sure both airboxes were clipped back into place when done, and then reconnected both front hoses without any incident. I got into the car and drove off. Today I popped the hood back open to have a friend of mine look to make sure I did the airboxes right, and the same hose was slightly detached again. I was thinking of just putting a little bit of tape on it, because after some testing I noticed it would only pop off after a aggressive maneuver and since it pops off ever so slightly I figure some tape would be enough to hold it in place just fine (instead of going through the hassle of going to the dealer etc.). I plan on putting a piece of duct tape from the top of the hose to the side of the airbox, single piece. Thanks.

-Dave
Why not have the dealer warranty it....
Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Slow
Did you take out the charcoal filters? If you did give it a day or so and see if you throw a CEL. Let me know because every time I put my K&N's in I throw a CEL for a lean engine bank?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 AM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Hi everyone,

-Dave

This has been a problem of mine since day 1. Tape won't work, you will have to buy metal clamps to secure.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM

2016 AMG GT-S
Hi,

I removed solely the air filter inside the engine. I have not gotten any CELs yet. I had a friend look at it who maintains a fleet of taxi cabs (doesn't say much I know), but he concluded that there is some sticky proxy that connect the hose into the airbox. On the left side, there is still plenty of the proxy left, however on the right there is a lot less (I felt it too), which is why he said that it keeps popping out. I am bringing it to the dealer today at 11am, going to tell them what he concluded/let them figure it out.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM

Slow
Hi,

I removed solely the air filter inside the engine. I have not gotten any CELs yet. I had a friend look at it who maintains a fleet of taxi cabs (doesn't say much I know), but he concluded that there is some sticky proxy that connect the hose into the airbox. On the left side, there is still plenty of the proxy left, however on the right there is a lot less (I felt it too), which is why he said that it keeps popping out. I am bringing it to the dealer today at 11am, going to tell them what he concluded/let them figure it out.

If you kept the charcoal filters in you will not throw a CEL, I figured it was defeating the purpose of the high flow K&N's to run them with the charcoal filters in place. So I just put the stockers back in for now.