tranny adaptation problem??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 AMG
tranny adaptation problem??

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted but behind the scene I have been working on getting my car right. I have just one problem left which I has plagued me for about 18 months now.

So, I'm cruising at 70mph/2k rpm in either C or S mode...

If I then slowly apply gas the car kind of shudders and doesn't respond for about 1 second before jumping forward. It's as though there is a dead patch in the accelerator pedal. It happens mainly in 5th gear but can be replicated in 4th and 3rd at slower speeds but always around 2000rpm. My car is modded and this started occurring after I had cams installed and dyno tune done. For the longest time I thought that the problem was with the tune or maybe load limiters but it now appears not to be the case.

I recently had a completely new map installed by a different vendor as I had another little upgrade done. Leaving the dyno the car was responding as it should do and I thought **** me it's fixed! About 100 miles into the trip though the same thing happened. It then occurred to me that perhaps it was a tranny problem so I pulled over and did the "sneaky reset" trick. To my surprise the car was back to normal. At this point I'm elated because I at least have a work around the problem, but literally 20 miles further up the road it's back again. I pull over, do the deed, the car recovers and then it's the same all over again. This procedure is a PITA becasue it also resets other parameters such as A/C temp, dynamic seats, etc.

I have read through most of the relevant threads but I can't find reference to anyone having to do this at this frequency. At this point I'm wondering if I have a bad tranny. As I understand it the adaptation process considers driving style but also transmission wear/load. Perhaps it's compensating for the latter? I have 50k on the car.

I do a lot of freeway miles and 70mph /2k rmp is typically where I cruise so this has been driving me nuts. The car goes into the dealer tomorrow but I fear they will have nothing to add to this. I may ask them to re-flash the TCU. Has anyone had this done? Did it change anything?

I would appreciate anyone’s input on this...

Last edited by Fleebee; 10-07-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
Could be a radiator leak into the trans lines. Problem was seen in 2003 model year.

Problem was seen in higher gears with any acceleration. Jerking, loss of power, shuddering at RPM, etc... which is contributed by a malfunctioning torque converter. No issues in 1st and 2nd. I would get a glycol / trans fluid test. Problem gets progressively worse. If this is the issue, results in replacing radiator and trans flush. Problem will escalate to a damaged torque converter and potentially trans if it isn't caught in time.

Good luck. Hopefully it isn't it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ans-lines.html
Old 10-09-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 AMG
Well this was the quickest sinking thread of all time until you bumped it up.

You were spot on. I do indeed have contamination in the radiator and the trans fliud which is requiring a radiator and a flush.

Originally Posted by anerbe
Could be a radiator leak into the trans lines. Problem was seen in 2003 model year.

Problem was seen in higher gears with any acceleration. Jerking, loss of power, shuddering at RPM, etc... which is contributed by a malfunctioning torque converter. No issues in 1st and 2nd. I would get a glycol / trans fluid test. Problem gets progressively worse. If this is the issue, results in replacing radiator and trans flush. Problem will escalate to a damaged torque converter and potentially trans if it isn't caught in time.

Good luck. Hopefully it isn't it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ans-lines.html