Sponsored by:

new tinting law

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
new tinting law

Beasty boy's from CHI town. Now you can have tinted windows front and rear in the state of IL passed yesterday by the IL assembly yesterday.
See and read the new changes. I hope this make everyone happy.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/full...cSess=&Session=
Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
it's about freaking time

now they have to get rid of that front license plate law as well
Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Did this change in the law come with a 50% tax increase on window tint?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM

06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
Originally Posted by rluvsbenz
Beasty boy's from CHI town. Now you can have tinted windows front and rear in the state of IL passed yesterday by the IL assembly yesterday.

Originally Posted by jtc55
it's about freaking time
+1!!!!!

now they have to get rid of that front license plate law as well

Originally Posted by cahiil55k
Did this change in the law come with a 50% tax increase on window tint?
Priceless!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rluvsbenz

I read it a few times, and it looks like the rear windows are limited to 30% and the fronts are limited to 50% tint, or the rears are limited to 35% and the fronts are limited to 35%, so running 5% all around is still illegal. However, if someone else interprets it differently I'd love to hear it.

I'm tired of driving through LaGrange Park and worrying about grtting a BS tinting ticket, even though I only have 50%(I think, it was on the car when I got it) on the 4 side windows and the rear window. I already received 2 license plate tickets on my 2 previous cars thaere. The 2nd time, the cop actually stopped in the middle of 31st street about 100 feet ahead of me to wait for me to pass so she could see if I had an Illinois plate on the back of my Mustang. As soon as I passed(nowhere to turn, I knew immediately what she was doing) she got behind me and flipped on her lights. Nothing like drilling 4 holes in a brand new front clip with fresh paint.

Here's the section of the statute I read:

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, 5poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective 6material or tinted film upon the front windshield, except that 7a sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side 8of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along 9the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does 10not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the 11windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of 12action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer 13who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation 14of this Section. 15 (a-5) No window treatment or tinting shall be applied to 16the windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver, 17except:18 (1) on vehicles where none of the windows to the rear 19 of the driver's seat are treated in a manner that allows 20 less than 30% light transmittance, a nonreflective tinted 21 film that allows at least 50% light transmittance, with a 22 5% variance observed by any law enforcement official 23 metering the light transmittance, may be used on the side 24 windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver.25 (2) on vehicles where none of the windows to the rear

HB3325 Enrolled- 6 -LRB096 05916 AJT 15997 b
1 of the driver's seat are treated in a manner that allows 2 less than 35% light transmittance, a nonreflective tinted 3 film that allows at least 35% light transmittance, with a 4 5% variance observed by any law enforcement official 5 metering the light transmittance, may be used on the side 6 windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver.7 (3) on multipurpose passenger vehicles, as defined by 8 Section 1-148.3b of this Code, a nonreflective tinted film 9 originally applied by the manufacturer, that allows at 10 least 50% light transmittance, with a 5% variance observed 11 by any law enforcement official metering the light 12 transmittance, may be used on the side windows immediately 13 adjacent to each side of the driver. 14 (b) On motor vehicles where window treatment has not been 15applied to the windows immediately adjacent to each side of the 16driver, Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the 17use of a nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective 18film, perforated window screen or other decorative window 19application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat shall 20be allowed, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the 21rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be 22equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle 23which are in conformance with Section 12-502.

Last edited by izzyz28; 10-17-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:47 PM

06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
Originally Posted by izzyz28
I already received 2 license plate tickets on my 2 previous cars thaere. The 2nd time, the cop actually stopped in the middle of 31st street about 100 feet ahead of me to wait for me to pass so she could see if I had an Illinois plate on the back of my Mustang. As soon as I passed(nowhere to turn, I knew immediately what she was doing) she got behind me and flipped on her lights. Nothing like drilling 4 holes in a brand new front clip with fresh paint.
That's why I had my Beast registered under my address in Atlanta (no front plate). I F#%^#'n HATE Chicago's B***** laws regarding that useless a$$ front plate and window sticker. Not only did I used to work in law enforcement but I have yet to see or hear of ANY cop jumping out in FRONT of a car to get and run the license plate number. They FOLLOW you. Chicago is definately one of, if not the most politically corrupt and greedy cities in the US. Some Chicagoans may say "You don't like it here? Leave!" My response to that, besides "Kiss my a$$", would be simply, "I plan to".
Sorry for the rant guys.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
If you live in Chicago you might as well forget about getting darker tints. The state of Illinois sucks Chicago's c**k, so you know they're going to let Chicago come up with a local ordinance that will supersede the state-level changes. One example is Chicago's handgun ban.