Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights Don't Work. SAM Unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights Don't Work. SAM Unit?

I installed aftermarket HID lights on my 2003 E55 and after about one hour of use, both of the headlights went out and wont power back up. I took out the lights and put the OEM ones back and still no power. I also get a malfunction message for the right and left low beams on the dash. I know I needed to go the dealer to have them star the hid lights, but I dont think that is the issue. I also know that the car doesnt have fuses for the headlights, so I assume the SAM unit is toast. My car is no longer under warranty and would like to fix it myself. Can someone tell me where the SAM unit is and what it looks like? And if anyone has any other suggestions, they are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Anyone have any ideas. Im really stuck
Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Are you sure you plugged them back in properly? Only thing I can think of. I don't know if you'd get an error if the lighting control unit was blown.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S6 LP640 E500
Try to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes that should reset the computer.
But you will have to set all your radio stations and seat position again afterwards.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I double checked how I reinstalled the factory lights and still nothing. The malfunction messages came on once I installed the aftermarket lights and before they lost power. I reset the ecu by pulling the neg battery cable and the malfunction lights went away. But once I turned the light switch on, the malfunction msg came back and the lights still did not power up. E1000, you think that since I am getting an error msg the lighting control unit is working properly? Which means it must be something else. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.