W211 E55: Shifting "magically" from automatic to manual mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
W211 E55: Shifting "magically" from automatic to manual mode

Have you ever had this happen to you, where youre driving in automatic (sport mode) and all of a sudden you notice your car is in 1st gear? Any suggestions or similar experiences?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try to reset it

im not sure how to do it but someone will post info for u maybe a trans reset will help u out !!!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Unless you hit the M button you're not in manual mode according to how MB defines it.

Most likely you hit the left paddle shift...
Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by regor60
Unless you hit the M button you're not in manual mode according to how MB defines it.

Most likely you hit the left paddle shift...
I have the CLS63 designo steering wheel (similar to the C63 sport steering wheel) and so the paddle shifters are much more prominent and thus harder to accidentall push than the hold E55 steering wheel. Could I be shifting into first by just tapping the gear shift accidentally? This problem has occurred sporadically and I only notice it when Im driving slowly on city streets and the car suddenly feels different (hence, it moves into 1st gear)
Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by Pertplus
I have the CLS63 designo steering wheel (similar to the C63 sport steering wheel) and so the paddle shifters are much more prominent and thus harder to accidentall push than the hold E55 steering wheel. Could I be shifting into first by just tapping the gear shift accidentally? This problem has occurred sporadically and I only notice it when Im driving slowly on city streets and the car suddenly feels different (hence, it moves into 1st gear)
yes you could if you hit the gear shift. Be sure you're actually in S mode and not in M. if you're in M it will downshift on its own, but not so in S.

I'd focus on the circumstances if you can to be able to document exactly what you did, whether hitting the paddle/gear shift, in M or S, etc. If it happens without your setting M mode, or shifting, then you might want to take it to the dealer, because it's haunted.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
It happened to me once because by accident I downshift with the paddle.
I was changing lane and BUMP my car shiftdown and went very FAST.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by regor60
yes you could if you hit the gear shift. Be sure you're actually in S mode and not in M. if you're in M it will downshift on its own, but not so in S.

I'd focus on the circumstances if you can to be able to document exactly what you did, whether hitting the paddle/gear shift, in M or S, etc. If it happens without your setting M mode, or shifting, then you might want to take it to the dealer, because it's haunted.
Thanks. I talked to my boy who is a service guy out here in SD, and he repeated exactly what you said. Everytime it happens, I cant recall exactly if I did anything or not. Now I will be extra vigilant to make sure I know if I touched anything or not.

It always happens when im driving between 15-30 mph on the street, or at least thats when I notice it. I think I would notice being in 1st gear on the freeway doing 90+mph