W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my 2004 E55 Yesterday - What Quick/Easy/Cheap HP Mods Should I do first?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
My motto is to leave the power mods alone for now. You have to get used to this power. Then when it becomes "slow" to you, do power mods, it'll feel like a new car. If you do power mods now, then someday it'll feel slow and you won't have anywhere else to go powerwise. You'll be like Benzoboi with a 1000HP E55 and still think it's slow.

I say drop the car and get some rims. Get a carbon fiber front lip. Flat hood badge etc. You know the drill lol. If you need any help locating anything, hit me up.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
PM sent. I don't know much about the heat pump/exchange situation. I'm still new to this myself and can only give you a thumbs up on the tune. EVERYONE on this forum and elsewhere will recommend to upgrade the cooling systems. Hardcore drivers all talk about the s/c shutting down after several wot runs. Personally, I have NEVER had my s/c shut down. In all fairness, I have not really pushed the car to create that situation also. I have hit around 140mph several times after doing a petal to the floor type of accel and the car ran fine. The truth is, I dont plan to race my car. I do like to push it but my liscence status is checkered to say the least so I'm hesitant to be "that guy". I do enjoy a wot run here and there and I think the stock heat pumps work just fine IMO. I guess we'll see if I still feel the same way after my first overheat!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Off topic, how do you get a picture or pictures in your profile to always show up in your forum posts? Like Godfather, how do you get that fancy picture of your beautiful car in all your posts?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by TheVazha
PM sent. I don't know much about the heat pump/exchange situation. I'm still new to this myself and can only give you a thumbs up on the tune. EVERYONE on this forum and elsewhere will recommend to upgrade the cooling systems. Hardcore drivers all talk about the s/c shutting down after several wot runs. Personally, I have NEVER had my s/c shut down. In all fairness, I have not really pushed the car to create that situation also. I have hit around 140mph several times after doing a petal to the floor type of accel and the car ran fine. The truth is, I dont plan to race my car. I do like to push it but my liscence status is checkered to say the least so I'm hesitant to be "that guy". I do enjoy a wot run here and there and I think the stock heat pumps work just fine IMO. I guess we'll see if I still feel the same way after my first overheat!
just remember its not a question of WILL the pump fail it a question of WHEN will it fail! the bosch i/c pump is junk. some last 1000 miles some 10000 some 60000 miles. but eventually it will fail
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Thanks again guys. OK per your advice here's what I'm going to do in the next 2 weeks:
  • Order Johnson Pump - Evo Sport
  • Order IC - Evo Sport
  • Order 2 K&N Air Filters to replace stock cloth ones
  • Flush all fluids and replace with new
That should make sure my E55 has a healthy baseline and put me in good shape for the 115F degree summers here in Phoenix.

From there I will look at a tune and then upgraded pulleys and get her up to 600HP and 600 TQ!

Once I have that I'm going to order the custom license plate...wait for it..."GONEIN4" as my zero to 60 will surely be in that range after all this.

Thanks again guys you've been a tremendous help for a total newbie going on 3 days of ownership.

Alex
Old 11-01-2009, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Here's some pictures of it: http://www.carmax.com/enUS/carmax-ow...ate=10-27-2009

But I'm switching it out for a very low mileage one (23K!!) this coming week. It's gold in color with dark leather inside but the low mileage is key as I drive 100 miles a day to and from work.

Alex
Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Agree with others, no sense in seeking more power if the stock system is holding you back. Get a HE and IC pump to retain the power your suppose to have from the factory.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
100% agreed, I've just ordered the Johson Pump, K&N Filters and will do the upgraded HE next.

Thanks!

Alex