Sponsored by:

noise from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
noise from rear suspension

Hello, when driving over bumps or un-smooth surfaces, I can hear a strange noise like a as if something is in the boot, but coming from the rear suspension, passenger side. It is not a clucking or knocking sound but more sounds like the noise of the suspension hitting the stop bumbs. Any ideas anyone? Thanks as always!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by por997s
Hello, when driving over bumps or un-smooth surfaces, I can hear a strange noise like a as if something is in the boot, but coming from the rear suspension, passenger side. It is not a clucking or knocking sound but more sounds like the noise of the suspension hitting the stop bumbs. Any ideas anyone? Thanks as always!
Mine does this too, worse when it's cold out. I had it up on the lift yesterday replacing a transmission mount(btw, solved my horrendous vibration issue), and I inspected the rear suspension while I was under there. Everything seemed fine, and the car sits level at all 4 corners. The only thing I can think of is that there is an issue with the shock/damping porion of the airmatic strut. It sounds/feels like a dead shock absorber to me.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
your rear strut is bad.

I had that noise on the passenger rear.. going over bumps. Like a thump sound in the trunk.

Test on the road.. let the passenger rear hit a bump and let the driver rear a bump.. you will tell which one has the problem.

with warranty I got all 4 struts and shocks replaced, they were leaking. I doubt they were that bad, but the dealer don't care.. they want to juice the warranty.