W211 E55K QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW E46 M3
W211 E55K QUESTIONS

Hi Guys

I am brand new to the forum, and am on the cusp of purchasing a W211 E55K, and wanted to ask a few questions from the guys in the know, such as yourselves about this car.

Are there any particular years to avoid during the production run of the E55k? I've heard things about making sure you get an 04 onwards? Is this true?

Firstly, there are a lot of different Horse Power figures floating around, and the most common seems to be 469bhp, is this figure correct? And is this Rear Wheel Horse Power or crank?

Secondly, what are my options as far as tuning is concerned, and I don't wish to spend a fortune having larger superchargers and such like installed. I am thinking more along the lines of a Remap and High Flow Air Filters as a start. What's the best bang for my buck mods I can do from the off to get me a power increase.

Thirdly, the age old question of fuel return. Obviously this depends on how you drive, but what's the real world round town fuel return likely to be, and what's possible on a highway?

And finally, two options I really do like the sound of are the Air Con Ventilated front seats, and the radar guided cruise (distronic), are these very rare features? Were they very expensive when the car was new?

Any input you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Franco
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Great post- now search the forums for all of your answers.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 AM

BMW E46 M3
Hi

Not quite the reply I was hoping for!!

Perhaps some people could help me out with some answers!!

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
He did! Use the search function in the right corner! This has been dicussed and asked 1 million times!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
I honestly was not trying to be rude, but you can find out so much more from searching.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by itsmeek
I honestly was not trying to be rude, but you can find out so much more from searching.
+1 Lots of info on your topic if you search! The HP question has been dicussed in the last day if you read the topics.
e55 amg underated factory figures?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM

BMW E46 M3
I realise that these questions had been answered before, Im sure they have, but I'm not very IT literate, and I am using a mobile phone to access the forum as I don't have a computer at the moment, and the search feature doesn't work on my mobile!

Was just hoping the forum members would be kind enough to answer some of my questions in my post.

Sorry for any incovenience caused.

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Originally Posted by francom82
Hi Guys

I am brand new to the forum, and am on the cusp of purchasing a W211 E55K, and wanted to ask a few questions from the guys in the know, such as yourselves about this car.

Are there any particular years to avoid during the production run of the E55k? I've heard things about making sure you get an 04 onwards? Is this true?

This is true. I believe '05 and '06 have a better heat exchanger which helps keep the engine cooler. Other than that I believe they are all the same.

Firstly, there are a lot of different Horse Power figures floating around, and the most common seems to be 469bhp, is this figure correct? And is this Rear Wheel Horse Power or crank?

These cars are really somewhat all the same. They are rated from the brochure at 469hp at the crank, but tend to make more than that.

Secondly, what are my options as far as tuning is concerned, and I don't wish to spend a fortune having larger superchargers and such like installed. I am thinking more along the lines of a Remap and High Flow Air Filters as a start. What's the best bang for my buck mods I can do from the off to get me a power increase.

That is a great step in increasing hp. filters, larger crank pulley, cooling mods.

Thirdly, the age old question of fuel return. Obviously this depends on how you drive, but what's the real world round town fuel return likely to be, and what's possible on a highway?

I get about 12 city and 20 highway, buy a different car if you are asking this question

And finally, two options I really do like the sound of are the Air Con Ventilated front seats, and the radar guided cruise (distronic), are these very rare features? Were they very expensive when the car was new?

ventilated seats is very common where distronic was very expensive and is harder to find in a used car.

Any input you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Franco
-
Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 AM

BMW E46 M3
Many thanks!!

What is the cost of the Crank Pulley Replacement and what kind of HP gains is that likely to lead to?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 AM

2004 E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-do-first.html

Also on MPG, I get around 20mpg on the highway running at 70mph. But, that is rare as I did not buy this car to outdistance a Prius. 16mpg is more like it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Esh

E55
No offense Franco, but so far you kinda seem like the kind of guy that wants everyone else to do the work for you. I understand you're using a mobile, but please wait until you have computer access so you can search the forums.

99.99% of all questions you could possibly ask about getting into an (E55k options, gas mileage, stock hp, years to avoid, etc...) have been discussed so many times that people quite frankly get tired of answering the same questions 2-3 times per week. That is why you got the response that you did. Every post is available for you to view.

When you get to a computer hit "search" go to "advanced search", select the "W211 AMG" forum, and then type in the keyword to what you are looking for.

Example:

You want gas mileage, I would follow the steps above and in the search box, put "gas mileage" and see what comes up. If it's not what you are looking for try searching for "mpg".

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 AM

BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by Esh
No offense Franco, but so far you kinda seem like the kind of guy that wants everyone else to do the work for you. I understand you're using a mobile, but please wait until you have computer access so you can search the forums.

99.99% of all questions you could possibly ask about getting into an (E55k options, gas mileage, stock hp, years to avoid, etc...) have been discussed so many times that people quite frankly get tired of answering the same questions 2-3 times per week. That is why you got the response that you did. Every post is available for you to view.

When you get to a computer hit "search" go to "advanced search", select the "W211 AMG" forum, and then type in the keyword to what you are looking for.

Example:

You want gas mileage, I would follow the steps above and in the search box, put "gas mileage" and see what comes up. If it's not what you are looking for try searching for "mpg".

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Esh, I find you to be a little presumptious, and offensive if I'm honest, I don't think it's fair for you to start suggesting that I wish others to do all the work for me due to to the fact that Im too lazy to search the forums myself. You're making assumptions of my personality without knowing anything about me. That's not fair or right.

I have explained that I am doing all of this from a mobile device, and for a number of reasons, that are beyond the scope of this forum, I do not, and will not have access to a PC anytime in the near future.

As a Senior member of the forum, I would have expected a little more from you if I'm honest. If the roles were reversed, and I were the senior member, replying to the post of a new forum member, who I knew didn't have full internet access on a PC, I would be only too happy to furnish him with any knowledge I had that I thought may be of assistance to him.

I realise from what you've said that you get frequent requests like this, but I cannot use the search feature, and if as you say, the answer to my questions already exist, you could simply copy and paste some of the answers to previous posts into this thread, saving you writing them all out again couldn't you?

Anyway, it seems I've caused a great inconvenience here, which was not my intention, I was just after some help that's all.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Esh, I find you to be a little presumptious, and offensive if I'm honest, I don't think it's fair for you to start suggesting that I wish others to do all the work for me due to to the fact that Im too lazy to search the forums myself. You're making assumptions of my personality without knowing anything about me. That's not fair or right.

I have explained that I am doing all of this from a mobile device, and for a number of reasons, that are beyond the scope of this forum, I do not, and will not have access to a PC anytime in the near future.

As a Senior member of the forum, I would have expected a little more from you if I'm honest. If the roles were reversed, and I were the senior member, replying to the post of a new forum member, who I knew didn't have full internet access on a PC, I would be only too happy to furnish him with any knowledge I had that I thought may be of assistance to him.

I realise from what you've said that you get frequent requests like this, but I cannot use the search feature, and if as you say, the answer to my questions already exist, you could simply copy and paste some of the answers to previous posts into this thread, saving you writing them all out again couldn't you?

Anyway, it seems I've caused a great inconvenience here, which was not my intention, I was just after some help that's all.
You just keep asking the same questions that have been answered a hundred times. If you could get to a local library or a freinds house and borrow a computer you could find all this info. I am not sure anyone wants to dicuss it for the hundreth time. Two of you questions were dicussed within the last week and are still on the main page!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 AM

BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by emoving
You just keep asking the same questions that have been answered a hundred times. If you could get to a local library or a freinds house and borrow a computer you could find all this info. I am not sure anyone wants to dicuss it for the hundreth time. Two of you questions were dicussed within the last week and are still on the main page!

I am working on an Oil Rig in the North Sea of the coast of Scotland at the moment, so no I can't just pop to the library, or a friends house. Perhaps if you had channelled some of your energy into answering my initial questions in the fist place, rather than making assumptions about how I might be able to get internet access on a pc? Believe me if I could, I would!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I am working on an Oil Rig in the North Sea of the coast of Scotland at the moment,
Now that's cool!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 PM

BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by myntk12
Now that's cool!

Not really! It's not the worlds safest or most social job, but that's refelected in the pay I guess.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
I'll attempt to help out....

All model years appear to be reliable. Many 2005 cars had sliding center console design vs. pop out cupholders, as well as different speedometer (200mph vs 160) and aluminum rubber studded pedals.

The car is actually 493 CRANK horsepower, just was rated differently because the S-classes and SLs are more expensive (didn't want you to think you could get the same power from a lesser-expensive car).

Others on here know much more about tuning than I, but I would suggest a pulley, tune & air filters.

Fuel mileage - 11 to 13 city, 17-19 highway roughly.

Ventilated front seats are nice. Don't have experience with Distronic. Distronic is a lot rarer on these cars than S-classes. It seems the Ventilated Front Seats are hit-and-miss, whereas with the E63s they were pretty commonplace.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Francom, don't be discouraged we just see these questions a lot and a lot of times the people that ask them never even buy an e55 or completely drop the forum as soon as they use us for all of our info. lol it's kinda like getting played by a girl/guy, but don't offense, just use the forum for what is is and make sure you help out the newbies once you figure some stuff out. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55Bullet
Francom, don't be discouraged we just see these questions a lot and a lot of times the people that ask them never even buy an e55 or completely drop the forum as soon as they use us for all of our info. lol it's kinda like getting played by a girl/guy, but don't offense, just use the forum for what is is and make sure you help out the newbies once you figure some stuff out. Good luck!
+1 Be safe on that rig!

P.S. Disctronic is a gimmick! It sucks! Unless you like following people from 7 car legnths back the entire trip!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 PM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
7 car lengths is not that far back at 80 mph, No? Distronic is on my list as the must have, but I always rethink that option.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No but I had it and when it keeps you 7 car legnths back behind the jackass driving 60 in the left lane its a PITA. Then you have to turn it off to get on his *** to get him over. I thought is was a complete waste.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by emoving
Then you have to turn it off to get on his *** to get him over.
I can't believe it that I just read that
Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Esh

E55
Gotta admit the oil rig thing is pretty cool. Getting net access from your mobile out there. This forum isn't exactly the most mobile friendly if you can't use the search feature.

It is rather frustrating, however, to see the same questions pop up so often when a search does solve them.

How far our are you on your 55k purchase?

Last edited by Esh; 11-04-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 AM

BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by Esh
Gotta admit the oil rig thing is pretty cool. Getting net access from your mobile out there. This forum isn't exactly the most mobile friendly if you can't use the search feature.

It is rather frustrating, however, to see the same questions pop up so often when a search does solve them.

How far our are you on your 55k purchase?
We have a transmitter so we can use our mobile's, so that's something at least, or I'd be well and truly cut off from civilisation!!

This forum seems to tough to navigate on my mobile, but a forum is only as good as it's members, and this one seems to have a wealth of Informed Mercedes and more importantly for me, (W211 E55k) owners!!

Well I am pretty much ready to go ahead with the purchase when the price is right, but I am an exceptionally festidious indiviual, so it may take me some time to locate the correct car, in the correct spec, and for the correct price. It's a tricky one no doubt. I don't think I want to buy anything older than a 2004 model if I'm honest, and I do very much like Obsidian Black. I could buy the silver, but I don't get any REAL satisfaction from cleaning silver cars, so I guess black or Tealite Blue or something.

Are any other members on here from the UK? It seem's most members here are from the US? Is that right? Or am I way off.

Thanks guys, really appreciate any input you can put a newbie's way!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM

BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by jpohl402

The car is actually 493 CRANK horsepower, just was rated differently because the S-classes and SLs are more expensive (didn't want you to think you could get the same power from a lesser-expensive car).
When you say they were rated differently? Do you mean that Mercedes simply stated that E55K's were less power than S's and CL's, even though they were the same power?

So essentially would a 2004 E55K be the same Crank Horsepower as a 2004 S55k and 2004 CL55K?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W211 E55K QUESTIONS