(Almost) new owner saying hi!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
(Almost) new owner saying hi!

Thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself. I have been lurking on this forum for a while now trying to decide what direction to go next.

While the E39 M5, or the mod potential of the newer 535i, have both tempted me - I finally decided the E55 is the ride for me! My dad is on his third E-class, his father owned four or five Mercs in his lifetime, so I guess its destiny. Can’t wait to see the old man’s faceJ.
I think the final straw was the release of the new E63, what a machine. Or maybe it was last weeks test drive in a very clean 05 CPO E55…lol.
Regardless my quest has officially begun! Now I have to decide if I want to buy an 03-05 private party or find a nice 06 CPO. Shocking the difference in costs between these cars, but Mercedes does have the absolute best used car warranty available.

But first I’ve got to let my current passion go:

She might be a Mazda (2006 Mazdaspeed6 to be exact) but I have put my fair share of blood sweat and tears into her. Done just about every mod possible to this car, and a few some said weren’t possible…lol. Started with 235/265 to the wheels and am currently in the 290/330 range (that’s to all four wheels)
It’s a shame but I will probably end up stripping it and trading it in. We all know the issues with selling heavily modded cars. Maybe I will learn my lesson and will leave the AMG stock (from my lips to the wife’s ears).

I plan on heading to MIR for the 12/5 event with some of my buddies so hopefully I will meet some of you there. Hell if the stars are aligned maybe I will even be running an E55 by then.

Thanks to all the members who have contributed to this place, it really is a top-notch site.

Wish me luck on my quest.

BTW The wife and I own a restaurant in Arlington, VA called Willow http://willowva.com .
If any of you guys make it there, be sure to say “Hi”

Cheers,

Brian

Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takes the bus.
Hi, I've had my E55 for just over 2 months.
You'll love it! Try to get a 1 owner with low miles, and stay away from a leased one.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Crescendo
You'll love it! Try to get a 1 owner with low miles, and stay away from a leased one.
Thanks for the advice. I drove an 06 with only 35K on the clock. Looked like it had 135K based on the abuse...sure enough lease return the Mercedes dealer sent to auction.

Just need to bite the bullet and get a CPO, but their getting hard to come by....and not cheap...lol.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, CLK550
Good luck and welcome!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by Crescendo
I would say 90% of these were leased so good luck with that! Not sure why that makes a difference anyways. I have seen people who purchased cars as opposed to lease them trash them all the same and I have seen both taken care of very well.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
I always took care of my leases as if I were going to own them forever, so don't let that deter you. Always had to pay for extra miles, but never wear and tear.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E63 Performance Package
Do you live in Tyson's Corner?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I understand there are a ton of lease buybacks out there....not many can afford the payments on a $90k note I just want to be careful and inspect the car closely, as I am sure no one can argue that SOME lease cars do not get the love they deserve. So I am not eliminating a lease, just have to find the right one.

I live in Falls Church, near the beltway and route 50.

BTW just discovered the Chrysler warranty, thanks to this forum! That option makes me feel a lot better about not buying CPO.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
fwiw, a lot of the lease returns are run thru contract companies like Data Scan. A few years ago I went to DS's website and was able to punch in the VIN and DS number on the car's sticker and get pics and descriptions of the cars being checked out after coming off lease.

It was an eye opener. Some were pretty well trashed, some were okay. But you could tell who took car of a car and which owner didn't. Dunno if Data Scan is regional or if they just do certain dealers or finance companies(?) But it might be worth checking out who did the return process and see if you can track down the report.

LOL, I found one of the trashed ones (had varnish and thick sludge on the oil filler cap) later on the dealer's lot, Armor-All'd up and shiny looking.

edit: here's their website: http://www.datascanfieldservices.ca/

Last edited by 220S; 11-12-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Welcome!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by 220S
fwiw, a lot of the lease returns are run thru contract companies like Data Scan. A few years ago I went to DS's website and was able to punch in the VIN and DS number on the car's sticker and get pics and descriptions of the cars being checked out after coming off lease.

It was an eye opener. Some were pretty well trashed, some were okay. But you could tell who took car of a car and which owner didn't. Dunno if Data Scan is regional or if they just do certain dealers or finance companies(?) But it might be worth checking out who did the return process and see if you can track down the report.

LOL, I found one of the trashed ones (had varnish and thick sludge on the oil filler cap) later on the dealer's lot, Armor-All'd up and shiny looking.

edit: here's their website: http://www.datascanfieldservices.ca/

Interesting....
Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Welcome!
Thanks!
Sweet ride - Watching your car run helped me decide on this car.

Drove a disappointing 2005 this afternoon. Again, fairly low miles but not very well taken care of....also had a slight tick at idle. Is this normal?

This might take awhile...lol.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Thanks!
Sweet ride - Watching your car run helped me decide on this car.

Drove a disappointing 2005 this afternoon. Again, fairly low miles but not very well taken care of....also had a slight tick at idle. Is this normal?

This might take awhile...lol.
Seems like yer on the east coast. If you don't mind me askin...Where have you seen my car run?