Sponsored by:

Coolant additives... Do they work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
Coolant additives... Do they work?

Just wondering if anyone uses water wetter or purple ice or any other coolant additive or special antifreeze and their impressions. Which one actually does anything (if any of them do) and which one do you prefer to use and why? Finally, any possible negative effects? Thnx in advance.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
not sure about our cars -- but i have heard good things about water wetter in the past.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I used water wetter in my 91 stang when I was road racing her. IT DID HELP, period. I had a custom 3 core rad, 8 quart pan, and a 2 quart oil cooler, and the car would still heat up in a 20 minute session. With water wetter, I could finish the race, but the oil would still heat up. I was running a Whipple at 8 pounds, when at the track, and did NOT have an inter cooler.

Please keep in mind that it works BEST with NO anti freeze. Every time you add antifreeze, you are cutting down on its efficiency my friend, just FYI.

Good luck, but for me it was a GREAT $8.00 investment

Oh yeah, if your car is NOT overheating, which it should NEVER do on the street, it will make ZERO difference.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
In the summer run straight water and water wetter. As stated anti freeze diminishes your rad's cooling ability.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Distill water and water wetter will cool your car big time. Just gotta remember to switch it back in the winter for the snow belt folks.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by jicl55
Just wondering if anyone uses water wetter or purple ice or any other coolant additive or special antifreeze and their impressions. Which one actually does anything (if any of them do) and which one do you prefer to use and why? Finally, any possible negative effects? Thnx in advance.

I have run distilled water and WW , the MB stock coolant set up and now run distilled, some MB coolant and two WW`s.. With our cars, I can not measure any change from stock coolant to race coolant set up.. Does not mean it does not hep but I can not measure it data logging.. That being said, it is a toss up..

Actually with the PTE T stat, I run perfect temps all summer long,,, on engine temp.. So no WW needed..IMO..

In the winter, I have to warm up longer and drive slow for a while to keep engine warm.. Yes, to cold engine temp can increase wear and hurt MPG.. My engine also takes longer to warm, as I have really dropped the IAT`s with cooling mods, so no extra heat there to help.

For what you have told me about your plans for your car , daily driving habbits and your area climate,, I would save the money and run a higher ratio of distilled water to coolant .. Then call it a Rap! Make sure you have the PTE t stat though!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd