Need Help, Stork is about to get here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
Need Help, Stork is about to get here

Hello Gang,

I shall be a Dad early January - this is our first (thank you, thank you) - and I want to make sure the first introduction between my son and the '55 goes well, especially since I intend to get him to appreciate the Supercharger whine ASAP.

I am looking for pointers on what tyes of carseats, strollers, other gadgets you parents/guardians out there have found most suitable for these cars. I have a charcoal grey interior and will be looking to blend in as much as possible. Any other advise that you can give in the area of safety, interior care/protection will be appreciated.

This is a brand new territory for me, and I hope not to learn the hard way.

Muchas Gracias!

Last edited by gambari; 11-22-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: My car has a supercharger, my car has a supercharger, my car...
Old 11-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
turbo charger whine ASAP.

Supercharger whine
Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by gambari
Hello Gang,

I shall be a Dad early January - this is our first (thank you, thank you) - and I want to make sure the first introduction between my son and the '55 goes well, especially since I intend to get him to appreciate the turbo charger whine ASAP.

I am looking for pointers on what tyes of carseats, strollers, other gadgets you parents/guardians out there have found most suitable for these cars. I have a charcoal grey interior and will be looking to blend in as much as possible. Any other advise that you can give in the area of safety, interior care/protection will be appreciated.

This is a brand new territory for me, and I hope not to learn the hard way.

Muchas Gracias!
Target & Baby's R US are us have a pretty good selection of car seats & carriers. You will have to use a carrier type car seat until they get atleast a year old. The bottom will lock in using the seat belt and the carrier snaps & locks itself in. (for the house get a swing! it's the best thing ever invented, it will rock them away for a couple hours so you can go out and take your beast for a ride) dont worry about sex as she may not be in the mood for awhile I'm just sayin.....
Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
Since you're going to be buying a car seat, go get yourself a Recaro Young Sport child seat. They fit perfectly in the back of the car & look good too. I have 2 other kid seats that leave wicked marks in the leather. This one doesn't.

You'll need a carrier style one for the first year, but after that, get the Recaro.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I use a Chicco KeyFit system. Works great.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Did he say "turbo charger whine" ?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM
acb

2005 e55 amg
having 3 kids under 5 here's my tip, dont let the little monsters anywhere near your car. That is of course unless you like mashed banana, spew, drool and 'nappy smell' to become your new interior
Old 11-21-2009, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by acb
having 3 kids under 5 here's my tip, dont let the little monsters anywhere near your car. That is of course unless you like mashed banana, spew, drool and 'nappy smell' to become your new interior
LMAO!

Congrats to you and the Misses. Honestly they keep coming out with new models, so I would Google for the latest reviews.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 PM

W203-4M W163
1. Safety Seat
I put a folded towel down under the safety seat, and there are no creases or marks in the leather.

2. Food and Beverages
I have to go with ACB on this on...hold the line from the beginning, no food or drink in the car. Period. The kid will get used to it quickly. Unless you're traveling cross country, the kid will not expire if they don't have a snack or a drink available every 15 minutes.
By age 3-4, my daughter was telling people "no food or drinks in daddy's car." Amen.
By 5-6, you can hand them a french fry, one at a time, from the front if the first 5 years have been exemplary. This will not stink up the car.
If you do not heed these warnings, I can send you pictures of my wife's car as part of a "Scared Straight" counseling program that I run for free.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by FraKctured
1. Safety Seat
I put a folded towel down under the safety seat, and there are no creases or marks in the leather.

2. Food and Beverages
I have to go with ACB on this on...hold the line from the beginning, no food or drink in the car. Period. The kid will get used to it quickly. Unless you're traveling cross country, the kid will not expire if they don't have a snack or a drink available every 15 minutes.
By age 3-4, my daughter was telling people "no food or drinks in daddy's car." Amen.
By 5-6, you can hand them a french fry, one at a time, from the front if the first 5 years have been exemplary. This will not stink up the car.
If you do not heed these warnings, I can send you pictures of my wife's car as part of a "Scared Straight" counseling program that I run for free.
Safety

1. If installed correctly, meaning tight enough to rock the car when pulled back and forth, a simple towel will not prevent marks in the leather. You will need about a half-inch thick layer of rubber or similar non-slip and dense substance.

1a. If the car seat wiggles at all then it's not in tight enough. The fire stations around here will install them for free, ask them to review your install job.

1b. Don't drive it like an AMG. That's an infant back there.

Food

2. You are right, but () good luck. If you are in the car for more than 20 minutes, a hungry 2 year old will drive you nuts, and straight to the closest fast food joint.
2b. They make seat covers for dogs that look like crap but appear to be completely food-proof. Did I mention that they look like crap.

And you forgot about the vomit...
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
Safety

1. If installed correctly, meaning tight enough to rock the car when pulled back and forth, a simple towel will not prevent marks in the leather. You will need about a half-inch thick layer of rubber or similar non-slip and dense substance.

1a. If the car seat wiggles at all then it's not in tight enough. The fire stations around here will install them for free, ask them to review your install job.

Food

2. You are right, but () good luck. If you are in the car for more than 20 minutes, a hungry 2 year old will drive you nuts, and straight to the closest fast food joint.
2b. They make seat covers for dogs that look like crap but appear to be completely food-proof. Did I mention that they look like crap.

This man speaks the truth!! I have 3 kids under the age of 7, and the most important thing when they are infants is to make sure that car seat is 100% installed correctly. I had the local sheriff's dept install ours, and then double checked them. Like I_am_amused said, you rock the car seat, you rock the car.

Car seat cover, you should be able to buy an aftermarket carseat cover that will definitely help protect your leather seats. I had one in my e39 m5 and although it looked horrible, it saved my seats. Definitely recommend it.

Best of luck and congratulations on the new addition to your family!!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
First of all, congrats!! I just got my boy eight month ago. The little guy already help start up daddy's car every morning since he was six months old. We have the Eddie Bauer travel system and it fit perfectly in the E55. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2009, 12:40 PM

2005 E55
I have our first little one coming December 9th and purchased the E55 as the just in case second baby carrier since my other car, a Dodge Viper, is not the most practical. I initially was a bit skeptical about how much I would like the E55 but once I drove it I was hooked. Now I am worried about marking and stretching the leather with the baby seat. Anymore advice?

This is what I am talking about... Look at last column first pic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWNX:IT#v4-15
Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Congrats Gambari, enjoy your new family!

I've also heard excellent things about the Eddie Bauer travel system from my friends. Although that Recaro seat is my pick!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:00 PM

2005 E55
My girlfriend just reminded me that my mother purchased this for me for my car. I am sure this will help protect the seats. You cant tell from the pics but it is made well and my guess will protect the seats from stretching or permanent dents.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

Originally Posted by Mamba003
I have our first little one coming December 9th and purchased the E55 as the just in case second baby carrier since my other car, a Dodge Viper, is not the most practical. I initially was a bit skeptical about how much I would like the E55 but once I drove it I was hooked. Now I am worried about marking and stretching the leather with the baby seat. Anymore advice?

This is what I am talking about... Look at last column first pic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWNX:IT#v4-15
Old 11-22-2009, 04:54 PM

05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
Originally Posted by shardul
turbo charger whine ASAP.

Supercharger whine
Yeah, I did write Turbo Charger...I can't think stright these days (slap). Thanks alot to all for the suggestions...I have been to Iraq and back, yet this makes me nervous.

Last edited by gambari; 11-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 PM

05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
Originally Posted by FraKctured
1. Safety Seat

2. Food and Beverages

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will use a towel..thats a really good one. I guess I have a few months from birth where I don't have to worry about spilling food. In my culture, the baby does not get to go out too much for about 5 months anyway.

Obrigado
Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM

05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
Safety

Food

You guys are all so funny I might check out a pet store for ideas. Some of my passengers have asked me to stock barf bags in the past
Old 11-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Hey dude. Congrats! You’ll love it; they’re pretty fun. I just had my first kit 11/8. Actually, there are a lot of similarities between your situation and mine: we both are on our first, they’re boys, charcoal interior. I’m excited to have a little guy to share my car enthusiasm with.
So to your question. I suggest you use the anchors instead of the belts. They’re stronger. You’ll find them on the rear seats under the flap of leather where the seat meets the back. They’re held down with Velcro.
We have the Chicco KeyFit travel system. I highly recommend it. They use great materials and they’re very sell designed. I put the stroller together and never thought I’d be impressed by the engineering required for a baby roller, heh. But I am!
Or you could just go this route and train him to be your driver from day 8:

Now he’s ready for the track!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 AM

05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
Cute Picture...

Thanks Kurtwz. I did not know it was either you use the anchors or the belt, I would have tried to use them both! I will consider the Chicco Key fit along with some previously suggested.

Congratulations Sir...
Old 11-23-2009, 12:38 PM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by Mamba003
My girlfriend just reminded me that my mother purchased this for me for my car. I am sure this will help protect the seats. You cant tell from the pics but it is made well and my guess will protect the seats from stretching or permanent dents.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
I use this in my car too. My daughter puked in her seat one day, & this kept it off the leather.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
^ We have the same seat protectors. They are the best I found, not too stiff and strong enough to prevent creasing in the seats.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Hmmm.... My baby (1 year old now) never liked in my E.
Not in the E500 and E55. Everytime she is in the car she started to cry.
Maybe the suspension is stiffer. The only car can keep her quiet is my Odyssey with DVD playing Baby Einstein. I highly recommend Baby Einstein DVD collection.

Good Luck ! and Congra with your coming baby !
Old 11-25-2009, 12:37 AM

05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
Thanks for the sugestion; I do not have DVD capabilities in my E55 either. Maybe when he is older I might consider using a portable one in the back. Thats so strange that she does not like your car...Kids, you never know what she was sensing.

Thanks CharlyE500 and all
Old 11-25-2009, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Hmmm.... My baby (1 year old now) never liked in my E.
Not in the E500 and E55. Everytime she is in the car she started to cry.
Maybe the suspension is stiffer. The only car can keep her quiet is my Odyssey with DVD playing Baby Einstein. I highly recommend Baby Einstein DVD collection.

Good Luck ! and Congra with your coming baby !
i would bet a few bucks that it is your driving she does not like, not the actual automobile. You probably drive the minivan in a much less fun manner. Drive it like you stole it and see how she reacts. And please post it on yootoob, it would be amusing to see a minivan all wound up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help, Stork is about to get here