Put an order on W212 E63 now – or hold off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
010 E500 AMG pkt.
Put an order on W212 E63 now – or hold off

Hi there,

Ok, here it goes. Been living with my W212 E500 for about five months now and recently took a road trip down to northern Spain with the family (a blast on the autobahn), which basically meant that I spend many hours in the car and I really realized why I bought it in the first place.

The W212 E63 hit the European markets some month ago, I was invited to the official launch of the car and was given the opportunity to take one of these on a short test drive. I have been to one a local MB dealer several times since to have a look at a Palladium Silver W212 E63 that they got in stock. The MB dealers I have spoken to say that I may have to wait for over over 6 months if I were to place an order now in December. I have been looking at the new Audi RS6 as a second choice, had the opportunity to take one of these out on a test-drive last summer and instantly fell in love with this car, but it does remain a second choice at the moment.

One of my major concerns with putting a order on either of the above mentioned is the fact that aim living in the middle of Stockholm at the moment. As of today it takes over an hour get to work (single way), most of that is spent being stuck due to road maintenance work, stuck at traffic lights and being stuck in traffic jams (would take 20min without all of this).

Add to that most of it being through narrow and busy city streets which basically mean (very) restricted speed limits. Been there, done that (-02 Porsche GT2). All of the above aspects would speak against getting (another) high end car to fool around with on roads rarely exceeding walking pace.

The thing is, aim moving out on the countryside (within 5 months, or so). After relocation I will have roughly an hour to work, the majority of it on highways with non-existence traffic jams and traffic lights. Add to that a racing track only an hour away, which is available for renting.

My wife think that I should put all this about getting a new car on hold in the meantime (until we relocate that is), I remain unconvinced.

The concern of mine is that if I put all this of getting a new car on hold (to April-May) is that the waiting list for the new E63 will only continue to increase, with the result that I may not get a car until the end of next year (probably even longer) which is far from optimal in several aspects

So at the moment aim torn apart about whatever I should put an order on a E63/RS6 now or if I should wait a couple of months, stick with my E500 for the time being, then put my order on a new car next year.

Final note, how would you deal with such a complex issue

Regards,
Sebbe

Last edited by sebbe67; 11-21-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
Order one for me & one for you...& do it now.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
DO IT! I saw one in front of my gym today. You only live once and why wait? If you've got the cash BUY IT and drive the sh-t out of it in good health and happiness. You never know what tomorrow may bring.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Whore
The lead time on orders will not continue to increase, they will just decrease. It could be that in 5 months, there will only be a 8 week lead time (typical time for a normal ordered car).
If I were you, I would wait it out until you have finished moving. In the time before you move you might even find one at a dealer that is built how you want it, and you wouldn't even have to wait.

Definitely don't get it now though just because of the concept that wait times will increase. Its only high right now because of limited production, which will increase later on and demand will go down.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Why rush the decision? I know it's hard when you see a car in the flesh and feel that you want it.

But step back and wait, imho. There will be more available soon and you said you don't really need it right now anyway. Plus you might reconsider once you move(?) No rush. Patience is always a virtue, imho.

And they might have better deals later, in addition to finding out if there are any new model bugs that might need to be addressed, etc..
Old 11-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, GT500
Originally Posted by Fantasm
The lead time on orders will not continue to increase, they will just decrease. It could be that in 5 months, there will only be a 8 week lead time (typical time for a normal ordered car).
If I were you, I would wait it out until you have finished moving. In the time before you move you might even find one at a dealer that is built how you want it, and you wouldn't even have to wait.

Definitely don't get it now though just because of the concept that wait times will increase. Its only high right now because of limited production, which will increase later on and demand will go down.
I agree with Fantasm...I ordered one a while back and got it in October. This was the first time I have ever put my name on a list and gotten one of the first cars available. There is no doubt in my mind that I got mine because no one else wanted it. I think you will have no trouble getting one when ever you want it. If fact when I went to pick mine up there was one already on the floor. Off topic...but I was just wondering what you thought of the GT2? I love that car.

JD