MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Need new battery (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/326718-need-new-battery.html)

coolcamden 11-22-2009 01:04 PM

Need new battery

My car's battery is dead. Does Sears or anywhere else carry this monstrosity? Or do I have to go to the stealer to get a new one?

socali.luv 11-22-2009 01:06 PM

Always better to get the MB battery- I have seen many end up in the dealer for a battery after going aftermarket. The BCM will not like anything other than approved MB product for the charging system without programming and coding changes.

Mikesamg 11-22-2009 01:53 PM

I just replaced both of my batteries and when I talked with MB they told me the batteries in the car were Interstate batteries just wrapped up by MB with their own symbols. When I called Interstate they told me that the AGM batteries they make for MB is controlled by MB and only sold at the stealer. (not surprised to learn of that) Interstate does have a lead acid battery you can buy but it's only $25 cheaper then what MB sells the AGM battery for. For the aux one they have no option even though it's a motorcycle battery, they will only sell them to MB stealers (again not surprised). Sears and places like that do have AGM batteries for cheap but how reliable I couldn't tell you. I went with the stealer since they hooked me up on wholesale prices and I wouldn't trust my cars electrical components on some cheap aftermarket battery.

Yacht Master 11-22-2009 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mikesamg (Post 3820725)
I just replaced both of my batteries and when I talked with MB they told me the batteries in the car were Interstate batteries just wrapped up by MB with their own symbols. When I called Interstate they told me that the AGM batteries they make for MB is controlled by MB and only sold at the stealer. (not surprised to learn of that) Interstate does have a lead acid battery you can buy but it's only $25 cheaper then what MB sells the AGM battery for. For the aux one they have no option even though it's a motorcycle battery, they will only sell them to MB stealers (again not surprised). Sears and places like that do have AGM batteries for cheap but how reliable I couldn't tell you. I went with the stealer since they hooked me up on wholesale prices and I wouldn't trust my cars electrical components on some cheap aftermarket battery.

Good move, the OEM batterys are made by Johnson Controls / Varta, and are a better choice thany any other aftermarket battery.

This is from their website,

The Johnson Controls Grid Advantage
The positive grid is typically the life-limiting component of a lead-acid battery, making alloy selection and design critical to the endurance of the battery. There are several different grid designs in use today, including Expanded Technology, Bookmold/Cast and Johnson Controls’ patented PowerFrame™ technology.
PowerFrame Technology
Johnson Controls’ PowerFrame is the ultimate progression in positive grid technology. PowerFrame alloy utilizes increased amounts of tin as the key to corrosion resistance and reduced calcium and silver, which can weaken the material. Bookmold grids use high levels of silver to create a molten alloy that produces large grains, increasing corrosion. PowerFrame takes advantage of a wrought lead strip without disturbing the structure, resulting in dimensional control that exceeds both cast and expanded processes.

PowerFrame is a cleaner, safer and more environmentally sound process that decreases human exposure to unpleasant conditions and lowers lead-in-air/blood lead levels. The continuous process reduces variability, which is in line with our Six Sigma Initiative, and reduces the number of defective batteries under warranty. Johnson Controls is the only advanced storage applications provider to use this technology in battery production.

Our batteries also meet and exceed CCA and RC ratings in part due to our Solidium™ Strap Alloy, a low porosity alloy that provides better plate-to-strap fusion and increased inter-cell weld integrity.

Johnson Controls’ Battery Compliance Testing, Monitoring and Quality
Johnson Controls enforces continuous testing of its batteries to ensure performance and quality of its products. We use internal tests and competitive tests used in the battery industry to evaluate our processes and products. We test approximately 20 batteries at each plant per week and 6,000 batteries per year to ensure consistency among plants.

BTW some will say the OPTIMA batteries are the best, close they are Johnson Controls / Varta product too, they just dont make one that is big enough to meet MB's requirements.

Mikesamg 11-22-2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master (Post 3820771)
Good move, the OEM batterys are made by Johnson Controls / Varta, and are a better choice thany any other aftermarket battery.

This is from their website,

The Johnson Controls Grid Advantage
The positive grid is typically the life-limiting component of a lead-acid battery, making alloy selection and design critical to the endurance of the battery. There are several different grid designs in use today, including Expanded Technology, Bookmold/Cast and Johnson Controls’ patented PowerFrame™ technology.
PowerFrame Technology
Johnson Controls’ PowerFrame is the ultimate progression in positive grid technology. PowerFrame alloy utilizes increased amounts of tin as the key to corrosion resistance and reduced calcium and silver, which can weaken the material. Bookmold grids use high levels of silver to create a molten alloy that produces large grains, increasing corrosion. PowerFrame takes advantage of a wrought lead strip without disturbing the structure, resulting in dimensional control that exceeds both cast and expanded processes.

PowerFrame is a cleaner, safer and more environmentally sound process that decreases human exposure to unpleasant conditions and lowers lead-in-air/blood lead levels. The continuous process reduces variability, which is in line with our Six Sigma Initiative, and reduces the number of defective batteries under warranty. Johnson Controls is the only advanced storage applications provider to use this technology in battery production.

Our batteries also meet and exceed CCA and RC ratings in part due to our Solidium™ Strap Alloy, a low porosity alloy that provides better plate-to-strap fusion and increased inter-cell weld integrity.

Johnson Controls’ Battery Compliance Testing, Monitoring and Quality
Johnson Controls enforces continuous testing of its batteries to ensure performance and quality of its products. We use internal tests and competitive tests used in the battery industry to evaluate our processes and products. We test approximately 20 batteries at each plant per week and 6,000 batteries per year to ensure consistency among plants.

BTW some will say the OPTIMA batteries are the best, close they are Johnson Controls / Varta product too, they just dont make one that is big enough to meet MB's requirements.

Nice thanks for the info! I can see being cheap on little things but I just didn't want to risk it on batteries just to save $100.

Yacht Master 11-22-2009 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mikesamg (Post 3820786)
Nice thanks for the info! I can see being cheap on little things but I just didn't want to risk it on batteries just to save $100.

A quality battery is so important in these cars. The electrical system is so complex and expensive to repair. You are 100% right not worth the risk.

speedybenz 11-22-2009 03:06 PM

I have run the Odessey Batteries for years and have had no issues at all and save about 15 lbs in the process.

Jeff

grizbo 11-24-2009 07:31 AM

What's the cost to have the dealer replace these batteries? Wonder if it's a good idea to replace these things before they actually go out? Mine's an 06 and I don't wanna get stuck somewhere...

regor60 11-24-2009 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by grizbo (Post 3823435)
What's the cost to have the dealer replace these batteries? Wonder if it's a good idea to replace these things before they actually go out? Mine's an 06 and I don't wanna get stuck somewhere...

I'd change it after 3 years no matter what