Sponsored by:

Need new battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Need new battery

My car's battery is dead. Does Sears or anywhere else carry this monstrosity? Or do I have to go to the stealer to get a new one?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Always better to get the MB battery- I have seen many end up in the dealer for a battery after going aftermarket. The BCM will not like anything other than approved MB product for the charging system without programming and coding changes.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:53 PM

A Prius because I'm green
I just replaced both of my batteries and when I talked with MB they told me the batteries in the car were Interstate batteries just wrapped up by MB with their own symbols. When I called Interstate they told me that the AGM batteries they make for MB is controlled by MB and only sold at the stealer. (not surprised to learn of that) Interstate does have a lead acid battery you can buy but it's only $25 cheaper then what MB sells the AGM battery for. For the aux one they have no option even though it's a motorcycle battery, they will only sell them to MB stealers (again not surprised). Sears and places like that do have AGM batteries for cheap but how reliable I couldn't tell you. I went with the stealer since they hooked me up on wholesale prices and I wouldn't trust my cars electrical components on some cheap aftermarket battery.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
I just replaced both of my batteries and when I talked with MB they told me the batteries in the car were Interstate batteries just wrapped up by MB with their own symbols. When I called Interstate they told me that the AGM batteries they make for MB is controlled by MB and only sold at the stealer. (not surprised to learn of that) Interstate does have a lead acid battery you can buy but it's only $25 cheaper then what MB sells the AGM battery for. For the aux one they have no option even though it's a motorcycle battery, they will only sell them to MB stealers (again not surprised). Sears and places like that do have AGM batteries for cheap but how reliable I couldn't tell you. I went with the stealer since they hooked me up on wholesale prices and I wouldn't trust my cars electrical components on some cheap aftermarket battery.
Good move, the OEM batterys are made by Johnson Controls / Varta, and are a better choice thany any other aftermarket battery.

This is from their website,

The Johnson Controls Grid Advantage
The positive grid is typically the life-limiting component of a lead-acid battery, making alloy selection and design critical to the endurance of the battery. There are several different grid designs in use today, including Expanded Technology, Bookmold/Cast and Johnson Controls’ patented PowerFrame™ technology.
PowerFrame Technology
Johnson Controls’ PowerFrame is the ultimate progression in positive grid technology. PowerFrame alloy utilizes increased amounts of tin as the key to corrosion resistance and reduced calcium and silver, which can weaken the material. Bookmold grids use high levels of silver to create a molten alloy that produces large grains, increasing corrosion. PowerFrame takes advantage of a wrought lead strip without disturbing the structure, resulting in dimensional control that exceeds both cast and expanded processes.

PowerFrame is a cleaner, safer and more environmentally sound process that decreases human exposure to unpleasant conditions and lowers lead-in-air/blood lead levels. The continuous process reduces variability, which is in line with our Six Sigma Initiative, and reduces the number of defective batteries under warranty. Johnson Controls is the only advanced storage applications provider to use this technology in battery production.

Our batteries also meet and exceed CCA and RC ratings in part due to our Solidium™ Strap Alloy, a low porosity alloy that provides better plate-to-strap fusion and increased inter-cell weld integrity.

Johnson Controls’ Battery Compliance Testing, Monitoring and Quality
Johnson Controls enforces continuous testing of its batteries to ensure performance and quality of its products. We use internal tests and competitive tests used in the battery industry to evaluate our processes and products. We test approximately 20 batteries at each plant per week and 6,000 batteries per year to ensure consistency among plants.

BTW some will say the OPTIMA batteries are the best, close they are Johnson Controls / Varta product too, they just dont make one that is big enough to meet MB's requirements.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 11-22-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:57 PM

A Prius because I'm green
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Good move, the OEM batterys are made by Johnson Controls / Varta, and are a better choice thany any other aftermarket battery.

This is from their website,

The Johnson Controls Grid Advantage
The positive grid is typically the life-limiting component of a lead-acid battery, making alloy selection and design critical to the endurance of the battery. There are several different grid designs in use today, including Expanded Technology, Bookmold/Cast and Johnson Controls’ patented PowerFrame™ technology.
PowerFrame Technology
Johnson Controls’ PowerFrame is the ultimate progression in positive grid technology. PowerFrame alloy utilizes increased amounts of tin as the key to corrosion resistance and reduced calcium and silver, which can weaken the material. Bookmold grids use high levels of silver to create a molten alloy that produces large grains, increasing corrosion. PowerFrame takes advantage of a wrought lead strip without disturbing the structure, resulting in dimensional control that exceeds both cast and expanded processes.

PowerFrame is a cleaner, safer and more environmentally sound process that decreases human exposure to unpleasant conditions and lowers lead-in-air/blood lead levels. The continuous process reduces variability, which is in line with our Six Sigma Initiative, and reduces the number of defective batteries under warranty. Johnson Controls is the only advanced storage applications provider to use this technology in battery production.

Our batteries also meet and exceed CCA and RC ratings in part due to our Solidium™ Strap Alloy, a low porosity alloy that provides better plate-to-strap fusion and increased inter-cell weld integrity.

Johnson Controls’ Battery Compliance Testing, Monitoring and Quality
Johnson Controls enforces continuous testing of its batteries to ensure performance and quality of its products. We use internal tests and competitive tests used in the battery industry to evaluate our processes and products. We test approximately 20 batteries at each plant per week and 6,000 batteries per year to ensure consistency among plants.

BTW some will say the OPTIMA batteries are the best, close they are Johnson Controls / Varta product too, they just dont make one that is big enough to meet MB's requirements.

Nice thanks for the info! I can see being cheap on little things but I just didn't want to risk it on batteries just to save $100.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
Nice thanks for the info! I can see being cheap on little things but I just didn't want to risk it on batteries just to save $100.
A quality battery is so important in these cars. The electrical system is so complex and expensive to repair. You are 100% right not worth the risk.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM

AMG C43, 1999
I have run the Odessey Batteries for years and have had no issues at all and save about 15 lbs in the process.

Jeff
Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 AM

06 E55,03 M3 (gone),05 Yukon, 03 Diesel PU,05 RK Custom, 03 SERK
What's the cost to have the dealer replace these batteries? Wonder if it's a good idea to replace these things before they actually go out? Mine's an 06 and I don't wanna get stuck somewhere...
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by grizbo
What's the cost to have the dealer replace these batteries? Wonder if it's a good idea to replace these things before they actually go out? Mine's an 06 and I don't wanna get stuck somewhere...
I'd change it after 3 years no matter what