Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 Real World Reliability and Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
07 E63 69k------ Bought it middle of Feb and car drove great. Got an extended warranty just because I got it at cost. Bumper to bumper mechanically (trim is not included) and figured if it wasn't used then I would be happy.

71k--- limp modes and CEL p2767 speed sponsor (the known Conductor plate), I kept putting it in park and restarting as usual and it was fine. Planned on getting it done mid april under warranty. Just didn't want to put a claim three weeks after getting the car. BAD mistake.

Left me on the side of I-95 last night at 7pm. Limp mode 1st gear this time. Nothing worked even the battery trick. Had I known this was normal for a HARD limp mode at some point, I would have not taken a trip with it at all and gotten it fixed before. I never read that on any post. They all say the 7th gear limp mode just starts happening more often. Wrong, bad position. Nearest MB was 130mi away.

MB roadside took care of me. Actually sold me from now on. Couldn't imaging a parent or wife dealing with it. They had a rollback there within 30 mins, which took me and the car 135mi north to Richmond. Dropped it at the dealer, and took me to a hotel which MB is reimbursing me on. Wow, didn't expect that from a 7 year old car. Obviously the car would be repaired at MB so the tow and hotel was covered, but imagine if not. 6$ per mile for the rollback. Dam nice deal in my opinion.

Warranty covers it no problem, just a few dollar discrepancy on labor pay rates. Not a big deal for what they covered anyway.

I had a meeting in Charlottesville at 9am and the dealer opened at 0730. I was there, and the old guy who was a service writer locked my keys in the car, which I needed to get my moving items out of. Then blamed me for why it locked. Never apologized, tech had to pry door with an airbag and work something to get the handle to open. I knew my day started then.

I told the SW that it had a CEL of p2767, speed sponsor, and the Conductor plate needed replacing and that would solve the issue. He said weeeeeelllll, a diag would need to be done for several hours to figure it out and they would call when they knew what was wrong. I said I am telling you so start from there and it will take less time.

Then for a loaner I go from 500+hp to this........
E63 Real World Reliability and Maintenance-img_5201_zps1e906a73.jpg

Then three hours later he calls and says they just finished up with the diag and the electrical conductor plate needs replacing, its a security part, so it won't be in till tomorrow, and the car would be finished tomorrow afternoon. I said-- That is exactly what I told you it was, so you won't be charging for the three hour diag that you took to say the same thing I did. He was speechless, I had to say are you there??? He mumbled something, and said he would call in the morning.

Overall, I am happy, car will be fixed, done right, and I was taken care of totally. Cost me maybe 150 ish including taxes, and I am safe, and have a car to get me from point a to b. The loaner was questionable. Not sure too many people would not have complained and said no way, not sure where that would have gotten me, he said I was lucky to even get one, they were out till next week. So no complaints. Hey SMART cars will do 90, had a trucker laughing at me when I passed him. Shook my head at a C230 guy who I passed when he was fixing his hair trying to look cool.

Just hope this never happens again, not a pretty sightE63 Real World Reliability and Maintenance-img_5200_zps90609f47.jpg
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Wow, what a hassle! I've built go-karts bigger than that... faster too. Hope it all works out in the end.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:55 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Got the Beast back!!!!!

I left early, (was 1.5hrs away from dealer), to show up around 4 pm this afternoon. The SW called me when I was 30min away from him to tell me the Tech was programming the Conductor Plate, then test driving, and then they will see if there were any issues. I might want to wait till tomorrow.

Meanwhile I put the SMART car into Limp mode also. Locked into 4th going 85mph and wouldn't switch. So just kept going and said NO, I will wait on it or they could put me in another car.

As I was waiting at a light to turn, I saw a Black 63 and said, wow that looks cool, then realized it was the Tech test driving my car. So I figured minimal wait. I arrived and turned in the SMART, and the Tech came back and said all was perfect. Also my motor mounts looked really good and Tranny mount was good. So all was perfect.

I went to get my bill, and was told the Warranty comp was only paying 900 total and I was to cover any extra. I had been told this was a 1400 job by another dealer and whats been on the forum. I was not happy. Come to find out, all I paid was 94.53. They only charged 378 in labor. 3 hrs for the conductor plate job and diag. That I thought was a deal.

Car drove nice and smooth for 100 miles and all is good so far. I keep thinking it will break on me, but I am sure that will go away soon. Love it again, and MB sold me on this one for sure.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
where are you located, and how did you buy a warranty on a 7 yr old car?
any chance your guy would sell me a warranty also - i just bot an 07 E63 with 67k miles.
thx.
PL
Old 04-03-2014, 11:20 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
pm me with your email and i will email you and give you all the information, and see what my guy can do. You might be able to do it on your own without him but we will see. I will help as much as I can. East coast NC area, the company is out of NC also, but I don't think that makes a diff.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Great read, sorry to hear about your troubles, glad its sorted but Haha at the smart car. How did you break it?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
pm me with your email and i will email you and give you all the information, and see what my guy can do. You might be able to do it on your own without him but we will see. I will help as much as I can. East coast NC area, the company is out of NC also, but I don't think that makes a diff.
PM sent. Ty.
PL
Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by tw2
Great read, sorry to hear about your troubles, glad its sorted but Haha at the smart car. How did you break it?
Really not sure, I noticed the first day the "D" was blinking at me a little and it seemed to be stuck in a higher gear, but made a bunch of stops.

Next day, didn't drive it except for to the dealer, 100mi away. I saw the "D" flashing but every light I got stopped at, was downhill, and I was at speed for the rest. Highway, I wasn't sure if there was a 5th gear, it appeared to be revving close to the top, but no Tach. Until I stopped to get gas, then found out it did have a 5th gear. Nor wrenches flashing at me this time for the last 25mi. Be wow 4th at 90 in a SMARt. That has to be some kind of record. I hated it so much, especially when a smoking hot girl in a honda went by me laughing. Geez, all worth it for what MB covered. Its all over now and I have the Beast back.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Bought a 2008 E63 around 53k and now it's around 63k. Bought easycare totalcare warranty for $5000. They rose the rates like crazy.

Since ownership I have changed...

1) Valve Covers
2) Intake Manifold Leak (Bolts)
3) Alternator
4) Front strut.

Repair total was around 5k. I paid only $300.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63, 2005 Jaguar S-Type R
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
where are you located, and how did you buy a warranty on a 7 yr old car?
any chance your guy would sell me a warranty also - i just bot an 07 E63 with 67k miles.
thx.
PL
Good Evening,

I bought a 2008 E63 one owner with 50k on it in December of 2015. I got an extended warranty from CarChex. Cost me 7,111.xx for 50K miles and/or 60 months. Covers everything except wear and tear items and has a 100 dollar deductible.