Sponsored by:

E63 Ordering Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequoia
E63 Ordering Options

I am a new member, and this is my first post. I've been unable to get a quick answer from searching the web, though I'm sure a dealer could help -(I hate dealing with them). (It would be nice if you could build the car on the AMG site) What gives?

I'll be ordering an E63 summer 2010. What I want is pretty simple, just a Palladium Silver with Black leather interior. My question is this: Can I get the 19" wheel/tire combo without getting the entire performance package? In other words, is this a stand alone option?

While I'm at it, I'll ask one more quick question, the answer of which will probably be different next summer... How much will they deal? Like any new intro/car, I'd assume that they are not dealing at all now, but expect them to be more willing as the "new-ness" of the line wears off. Thanks to all, and sorry if any of this has been asked/answered; I just have not found it.

I accidentally posted this originally on the "C63" Forum... My apologies.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 AM

I am sure you can get the 19" wheels as a stand alone option. My dealer has a 2010 E63 with them shown as an ala carte $2250 option (#793 19" AMG Twin 5-Spoke Forged Light-Alloy).

You can also see all the info on packages by looking at the last attachment in this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...tion-info.html

Its too early to tell how much they will deal on the price of a Summer 2010 purchase.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Sequoia
One more quick question... I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, and the whole reason I joined this board this morning is that I'd been waiting for formal confirmation of what the new M5 would have for an engine. I only want normally aspirated... I drive my cars for a long time, and want no part of turbos. (I'd like not to get in a debate about the power or folks' opinions of durability.) The fact is, I want a normally aspirated, larger displacement engined vehicle. My order may not happen next summer, but could be next Fall/Winter (2011) car. As I read posts, I see people talking about the future change of Mercedes to a turbo car like the M5. Please say that this is not going to happen in the 2011 year? Does anyone know for sure?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Question: Why get the 2010 when the 2009 can be had for nearly $30K off? Same car, basically just a chance to keep some cash in your pocket. Oh, the palladium silver is quite dark, when seen in person.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by sack5000
Question: Why get the 2010 when the 2009 can be had for nearly $30K off? Same car, basically just a chance to keep some cash in your pocket. Oh, the palladium silver is quite dark, when seen in person.
+1 on getting a good deal on the 2009. There's not a helluva lot of difference other than the MCT. Steering is tightened up slightly and it feels a bit stiffer in handling, but not by much. If you want the MCT, then do it. Otherwise consider the W211.

The M5 will be a TT. Whether it's going to be a V8 or V10 isn't for certain yet. Check the F10 boards (like E90 Post)

AMG will be going TT, too. All mfgs are dealing with costs, regs, mpg, and engine bay space, etc.. N/As will be gone.

btw, FI technology and cooling has dramatically improved over the old days.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Because of excess dealer inventory, there are great deals to be had on the 2009 E63s. I agree that the difference in price between a full sticker 2010 E63 and a discounted 2009 E63 may be hard to justify based on their similar features.

For me, I am ready for a change. I have had my E63 for 3 years, and look forward to the new and improved version. After test driving 2 different 2010's, I think the handling is greatly improved. I may end up getting a 2010 E63 in the next week, and will give my honest feedback once I have more experience.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E63AMG
Because of excess dealer inventory, there are great deals to be had on the 2009 E63s. I agree that the difference in price between a full sticker 2010 E63 and a discounted 2009 E63 may be hard to justify based on their similar features.

For me, I am ready for a change. I have had my E63 for 3 years, and look forward to the new and improved version. After test driving 2 different 2010's, I think the handling is greatly improved. I may end up getting a 2010 E63 in the next week, and will give my honest feedback once I have more experience.
Yeah, please be sure to post your feedback on it. I went to a special AMG invite using a makeshift track on an airfield, and while I liked the MCT, I didn't think the suspension was that dramatically different. Maybe I was expecting BMW handling. The steering still felt kind of numb.

Anyway, these cars are more comfort cars than real handling cars, that we all know.

We'll have to wait and see how the W212 will end up comparing with the new F10 in sales, etc..
Old 11-29-2009, 06:46 PM

Sequoia
So, let me try this again - - Does anyone know with certainty if MB will change the E63 to a turbo in 2011? In the surfing I've done on the board, I've seen a bunch of folks talking about a turbo in the future, but don't know if anyone knows exactly how far off this is. I'd find a 2011 engine change rather crazy, given that they just made a redesign jump with the same engine. I'd think that they'd have held back the e63, or whatever it will be called if they had planned to make the jump within a year of the new design...at least that is the way BMW does it. As for the M5, we know EXACTLY what it will be - a twin turbo 4.4L. We just don't know the power yet (probably north of 550HP). Regardless of new technology, when a person-(me)-(probably a-typical for an E63 driver)- keeps/drives a car for 150-175K miles, one way or another, turbo work will be done, period. I really want the new design, but won't buy the car before I need to, with a good possibility that it will be a 2011. I have a son who will be driving within 3/4 year, so our car rotation will necessitate a new car for me at that time.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GarbageMan
I'd find a 2011 engine change rather crazy, given that they just made a redesign jump with the same engine. I'd think that they'd have held back the e63, or whatever it will be called if they had planned to make the jump within a year of the new design...at least that is the way BMW does it.
First off you won't get an answer because no one knows. And MB won't be telling anybody anytime soon, either. Remember they have 2010 W212 E63s built and ready to sell. Why would they announce a TT now? It'll kill sales.

But it will be coming. And there's no reason to have held back the current W212 E63. It's the same motor they already have and are using in other models, and the body redesign includes all E Class models. The E63 chassis is pretty much already there in the E550. Just tuned a bit and add some pieces and it becomes an E63. Why hold off? The turbo version is in development, but they still want to sell cars.

I wouldn't worry. By the time it's announced you can then buy the n/a E63, right? Plus there will be left overs and price discounts after the TT is announced and becomes available. If you want to special order, you'll know the cut-off date. And that will be the time to buy the car. As you say, that's "when you will need to."
Old 11-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Sequoia
Originally Posted by 220S
First off you won't get an answer because no one knows. And MB won't be telling anybody anytime soon, either. Remember they have 2010 W212 E63s built and ready to sell. Why would they announce a TT now? It'll kill sales.

But it will be coming. And there's no reason to have held back the current W212 E63. It's the same motor they already have and are using in other models, and the body redesign includes all E Class models. The E63 chassis is pretty much already there in the E550. Just tuned a bit and add some pieces and it becomes an E63. Why hold off? The turbo version is in development, but they still want to sell cars.

I wouldn't worry. By the time it's announced you can then buy the n/a E63, right? Plus there will be left overs and price discounts after the TT is announced and becomes available. If you want to special order, you'll know the cut-off date. And that will be the time to buy the car. As you say, that's "when you will need to."
I appreciate the response. I'll keep watching this board for news as well. The reason I thought it might be known information is because many times company execs spill the beans both purposely or inadvertently. An example of this would be BMW's M3. It is already known that the next gen M3 will be a 6 cyl turbo; BMW already announced it earlier this year. We are here in 2009, and the car won't be on the showroom floor until 2013. So, much like the E63, today's car is the last normally aspirated M3, which I think is a crime. Also, if they were going to put a turbo in 2011 for the E63, most of the time the test mules would be seen (and heard) by now. Long before it was confirmed that the F10 M5 would be a turbo, testers were seen (and heard with dual turbos). For months there have been videos of it on the BMW boards. That M5 won't be out until late (fall) 2011, and they are testing now. Folks on these boards are usually ahead of the curve, and since I'm new to the Mercedes board, I'm just trying to catch up to what is "known". Thanks again for the response.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
To answer your original question, yes, you can order the 19 inch performance wheels without the performance package.
Go to Edmunds.com. It has the entire list of options you can order, including the pricing.
I find it ridiculous that the LSD is not included in the car as standard. You have to pay a 9000 dollar premium to have it included in the P30 package.
As far as similarity to the 2009 E63, I believe the driving dynamics are totally different. The new model replaced the front air springs with fixed coils, and the MCT offers a superior tranny with more horsepower.
Is it worth 25k premium? Maybe...