secondary air injection pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Has anyone removed the secondary air pump system and have the ECU reprogrammed to disregard the fault code.
Was hoping to cap them off and remove it entirely.
+1

This stupid pump is getting in the way of my new CL65 wheel well H/E with the fan.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
+1

This stupid pump is getting in the way of my new CL65 wheel well H/E with the fan.
I'll be doing this soon.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scion IQ(five axis), smart fortwo crossblade, austin rover mini
cold starts..

maybe thats why these AMG engines start so well in the cold and coldest of the winter, right before when the key is turned. or is this a negligent notice. But i was told a check engine light will occur when these air pumps are removed.

Originally Posted by turbo97se
This is purely for emissions on cold start. Cold start requires richer mixture which is gives rise to incomplete combustion. SAIP adds additional air to the exhaust to aid combustion. Symptoms are a Check Engine Light. Not sure on the Mercedes, but bad air pump is really noisy on cold start kind of like a mild air compressor noise from the vicinity of the lower front of the car (where the pump normally is) for several seconds after cold start. On the VW, a good one sounded like a quiet vacuum cleaner turning on for a while and would turn off, not sure if we can hear this on our cars. After the first 30 seconds or so after cold start they just sit there .. dead weight!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 AM

scion IQ(five axis), smart fortwo crossblade, austin rover mini
HERE IS SOME VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR YOUR POCKETBOOK!

2nd-dary air pump belongs with the inital recall?
this is good news. where is the orginal tech spec on this notice from EPA.

okay Merc got the campaign notice out but only wanted to replace the cheap parts and not the secondary air injection pump because it was more labor and more expensive.

the fact of the matter is that; the pump may have been already prematurely wearing excessively(or on the verge of failure) and was caused by the failure of the NON-timely or original factory desprency replacements!

(does anyone disagree with my premise or arguement)--this is a very legitmat standing for warranty and more so on mandator emission repair remedies.

POST THE ORIGINAL QUOTE SOURCE BY EPA: always post original or link technical, professional, legal sources as references.

================================================== ====================

from thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...tion-pump.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSLK32AMG
Does anybody know if upgrading the program is the same as reflashing the ECU?
My car is just not running the same after the work was done...by the way I found this on a EPA website regarding the recall...

"A air injection pump, designed to operate during engine warm up periods, may fail to turn off at specified time. This will cause the pump to overheat and burn out. When the pump fails a MIL light will illuminate. Remedy: Mercedes and ECU-supplier have identified a software modification which will prevent random electromagnetic impulses from affecting the air injection pump. MBUSA plans to issue a field fix to all its dealers in early 2006. The ECU software will be updated and the pump relay replaced."

Last edited by ttus; 06-23-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM

2004 E55 AMG
2ndary Air Pump - DIY

I am posting this here to give some owners some hope - especially after the recall and warranty periods are long gone.

I have had the same issues with the 2ndary Air Pump seizing.

On another post I saw that someone had theirs rebuilt -
check out ebay user rostykf. Ross rebuilt mine and is shipping back for 109.00.

It took him a day or two on the turnaround. It is way cheaper than buying a new one.

He was even kind enough to warn me: "BEFORE installing your air pump, please, check your SAP relay, fuse and ground connection to the pump. Your motor brush holders were completely melted, which indicates that you are having this common Mercedes issue with SAP relay, when it gets stuck letting pump to run non-stop until it fries. So, if the problem is still existing your pump will burn out the same day.
Also, you can always check the pump operation by applying 12V battery power accordingly ("+"(1)and "-"(2)marks on the pump contacts)
Please, don't forget to leave me a feedback according to your satisfaction.
Thanks again for your business and good luck with your Mercedes!
Ross"

I am going to put this part back in when i get back, and update.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65
Originally Posted by dsatch
I am posting this here to give some owners some hope - especially after the recall and warranty periods are long gone.

I have had the same issues with the 2ndary Air Pump seizing.

On another post I saw that someone had theirs rebuilt -
check out ebay user rostykf. Ross rebuilt mine and is shipping back for 109.00.

It took him a day or two on the turnaround. It is way cheaper than buying a new one.

He was even kind enough to warn me: "BEFORE installing your air pump, please, check your SAP relay, fuse and ground connection to the pump. Your motor brush holders were completely melted, which indicates that you are having this common Mercedes issue with SAP relay, when it gets stuck letting pump to run non-stop until it fries. So, if the problem is still existing your pump will burn out the same day.
Also, you can always check the pump operation by applying 12V battery power accordingly ("+"(1)and "-"(2)marks on the pump contacts)
Please, don't forget to leave me a feedback according to your satisfaction.
Thanks again for your business and good luck with your Mercedes!
Ross"

I am going to put this part back in when i get back, and update.
any part number on the relay needed ?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
The cheapest permanent fix for this issue is if you can find someone with DAS developer, is to disable the Secondary Air Injection pump completely. I have been running for 4-5 years without it in different kinds of weather and there are really no side effects to startup that I have observed. When enabled it only comes on at cold start anyway. You can remove it completely and cap the hole to save a bit of weight also.

Settings are in ECU -> Development Data -> variant coding -> Implizite Kodierung ME281 AMG ... Stand
I think it was setting 178 change to aus
The following users liked this post:
hvacdude (08-08-2020)
Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65
Originally Posted by turbo97se
The cheapest permanent fix for this issue is if you can find someone with DAS developer, is to disable the Secondary Air Injection pump completely. I have been running for 4-5 years without it in different kinds of weather and there are really no side effects to startup that I have observed. When enabled it only comes on at cold start anyway. You can remove it completely and cap the hole to save a bit of weight also.

Settings are in ECU -> Development Data -> variant coding -> Implizite Kodierung ME281 AMG ... Stand
I think it was setting 178 change to aus
if its faulty will it still switch off?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
I haven't tried it on a faulty unit. .. if your relay is stuck on, it may still stay on all the time. If it happens to give errors, just disconnect the electrical connection to the pump with the pump set to disabled.

Originally Posted by SL65MONSTA
if its faulty will it still switch off?
The following users liked this post:
SL65MONSTA (04-25-2016)