Sponsored by:

EBC and brake modulation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
EBC and brake modulation

After a week and a few hundred miles in the seat, I fail to see what the big deal is about the brakes in the E55. I find the braking to be no more difficult to modulate than any of my other high performance cars, there is not a lot of pedal feedback, but it is not like an on/off switch. I actually love how this car scrubs off speed on demand and would rate the brakes as a 9/10 with the 1 point being lost for not being a mechanical system.

Almost everything I read about the brakes has turned out to be just magazine tester *****ing.

Your thoughts?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cornfed gtr and m3
This is just my experience, but coming from a long background of BMW owenership, the brakes in the Benz suck. There is so much more initial bite with the BMW brakes. I do some high speed runs on a road that probably isn't best suited for that type of driving....best kind right?...and I never had any worries about scrubbing off that speed in the M cars. In the Benz it is a different story. I am definitely getting used to them, but that is one thing I would love to change. Again, just my 2 cents.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
I like them and I have owned a lot of cars.
Our cars are heavy with an A$$ load of TQ. With good downshifting I find the E55 brakes good.
Do not expect to have high performance brake and handling technique combined while canyon running and expect them to work like a Porsche.
Our cars go fast and are heavy..they need to stop..therefore..the brakes are good imo.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Originally Posted by Vader13
I like them and I have owned a lot of cars.
Our cars are heavy with an A$$ load of TQ. With good downshifting I find the E55 brakes good.
Do not expect to have high performance brake and handling technique combined while canyon running and expect them to work like a Porsche.
Our cars go fast and are heavy..they need to stop..therefore..the brakes are good imo.
You can have high performance brakes and handling in a heavy and fast car....M5. I know the M5 and e55 are two different cars. One is fast in a straight line, and one is fast through the twisties. I just wish the brake modulation of the e55 was as good as the M cars. You just can not beat the initial bite that M brakes provide. You can late brake the crap out of them. That being said, I enjoy my e55 much more then my M5. Torque is king, and this car has a ton of it.