"Code: P0410" I have it, help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
"Code: P0410" I have it, help

After getting it scanned and googling it, I have the dreaded P0410 Secondary Air Pump code showing.

Now, it happened two days ago. I just purchased the car, and it is now in a climate colder than it is use to.

Do I erase it and hope it never comes back with a simple scan tool? Does it have any impact on performance, or gas mileage, etc.?

I am in the midst of transferring the Chrysler warranty - can/should they fix it? Would it be covered? Do I want them to fix it?

I searched these forums and couldnt find an in-depth analysis of the subject, only cars that were throwing this code among other codes.

Help a new guy out
Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
Threw that code on my '06 cls55 a couple months back. To my knowledge, no, it won't just magically go away and it won't help to erase it as it will definitely come back. It won't necessarily make the car run badly, but with the CEL, you won't pass a smog test. There is something wrong with either the pump itself or more likely the relay switch. This is a VERY common failure on these 55K cars. It took my local MB dealer two trips to finally get it sorted. Luckily it was all done under warranty. As it is a emissions-related failure, it is actually covered by MB up until 70K miles I believe. I don't think it will harm the car to drive it for a while that way, but yes, at any rate you should have it fixed as it won't cost you a dime.

HTH.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Alright, are they going to need to check my car prior to be able to transfer it, or can it just be transferred over without a visual inspection.

Basically, is the warranty going to go through with this light being on?

A little OT, but thanks for the answer. Takes a little off my mind
Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
no problem. If you have time, you should have MB fix it first so that you won't get any hassle. Like i was saying, it is a common failure. Your local MB dealership should have the parts in stock (or nearby) and it shouldn't take more than a day or two at the most to have fixed.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Originally Posted by AWOL
After getting it scanned and googling it, I have the dreaded P0410 Secondary Air Pump code showing.

Now, it happened two days ago. I just purchased the car, and it is now in a climate colder than it is use to.

Do I erase it and hope it never comes back with a simple scan tool? Does it have any impact on performance, or gas mileage, etc.?

I am in the midst of transferring the Chrysler warranty - can/should they fix it? Would it be covered? Do I want them to fix it?

I searched these forums and couldnt find an in-depth analysis of the subject, only cars that were throwing this code among other codes.

Help a new guy out
Hey, dude, can't answer those specific questions, but thought this info may be useful. If you spotted in your search, disregard. Best of luck.

According to this site, you may have an out:
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0410

The P0410 code refers to the emissions system. The AIR pump puts air to the exhaust to lower emissions. It takes in outside air and pumps it through two one-way check valves into each bank of the exhaust.
About 90% of the time that this code is set, the one-way check valves have worn out or failed and allow water (which occurs naturally in the exhaust) back into the pump. In any cold climate, especially in climates with higher humidity, this water may be more excessive. The water partially fills the AIR pump, it can then freeze. When the PCM commands the pump on, if the pump is frozen it cannot turn, thus overloading the circuit and "popping" the fuse.

Here's another enthusiast thread about it:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...d.php?t=156571

Mercedes thread:
http://www.mercedesforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3609