Weakest link in the power train?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Weakest link in the power train?

Many of us are running engine mods that are producing HP and Torque values way above the stock numbers. I don’t see much about tranny mods other than TCU tunes and I know some people are running quaifes, but it seems most power trains are stock except for the engine. So what is the weakest link in the power train and what power level becomes unsafe for the tranny, drive shaft or diff?

I was once at a track that runs 99% American iron (Muncie, IN). According to a friend of mine watching, when I lined up with my SL55, the announcer says “gee I wonder if MB roadside service will come out when this Benz is broke on our track.” Apparently this got a laugh from the large crowd watching. I ripped off a high 11 and at least got some respect, but have been paranoid about breaking something ever since. Hence my question above.

The W211 AMG guys seem to be the most ardent modders so I decided to post here. I have learned a ton about my 55 from you guys.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Nothing major to report, but bout the only problem you face is twisting half shafts in the rear or even a tiny bit more common.....shearing suspension bolts out causing entire rear to collapse. Most of the time, people have twisted a shaft out from not running LSD.

Just satanic kinda torque and pressure being applied to that rear and the Benz ECU really fights wheel spin with brakes being applied etc.

I consider the E55 one of the greatest drag racing 4 doors of all time, but those half shafts would just shock you in the rear at how tiny they are, yet still handle the mountain of torque it takes to launch a 2 ton boat off the line.

ALL that being said, twisting half shafts is really rare but we have had just a couple of suspension bolts shearing over the years.

Over time tranny will eventually wear out faster. Just put in my replacement after years of hard service. They just over engineered the crap out of this car. The tranny is just a monster, the engine is simple and stout and the rear does the best it can to handle it all.

As far as the "benz will break on the track" comment. He's on crack, E55
s have probably run thousands of runs with very few problems.

Like this was gonna happen when you launched ya know?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Nothing major to report, but bout the only problem you face is twisting half shafts in the rear or even a tiny bit more common.....shearing suspension bolts out causing entire rear to collapse. Most of the time, people have twisted a shaft out from not running LSD.

Just satanic kinda torque and pressure being applied to that rear and the Benz ECU really fights wheel spin with brakes being applied etc.

I consider the E55 one of the greatest drag racing 4 doors of all time, but those half shafts would just shock you in the rear at how tiny they are, yet still handle the mountain of torque it takes to launch a 2 ton boat off the line.

ALL that being said, twisting half shafts is really rare but we have had just a couple of suspension bolts shearing over the years.

Over time tranny will eventually wear out faster. Just put in my replacement after years of hard service. They just over engineered the crap out of this car. The tranny is just a monster, the engine is simple and stout and the rear does the best it can to handle it all.

As far as the "benz will break on the track" comment. He's on crack, E55
s have probably run thousands of runs with very few problems.

Like this was gonna happen when you launched ya know?
Thanks a bunch for the great information. That link is amazing.

The track at Muncie just doesn't see much other than American cars, maybe the occasional ricer. That's why I need to get some Indy boys to run out there with me and represent.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:17 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Just tires! The break loose all the time

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-12-2009, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
one of kleemann guys told me that E55 drive-train can handle up to 1100NM ( which still considered safe), above that will be risky.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
one of kleemann guys told me that E55 drive-train can handle up to 1100NM ( which still considered safe), above that will be risky.
Thanks, so that equates to about 803 foot pounds. I wonder if that is at the crank or RWTQ.