Looking to buy an 06 ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTB: 06 E55 AMG
Looking to buy an 06 ...

Hi All,
I currently own an E39 M5 (I've had the car for a little over 4 1/2 years). I absolutely love the car and still do; however, my cousin, who's a used car dealer, bought an 04 E55 and I had the distinct pleasure of driving the car. I fell in love almost immediately. Therefore, after about a month of thinking it over, I've decided to leave the BMW world after owning 3 of them and try something different.

I want an 06 as it seems like this year, all the minor flaws and gremlins were worked out mostly.

The other stipulation I have is that it's black - I've always been a fan of black cars and all the cars I've owned have been black.

Just had several questions for some of you gurus out there on this car, its motor, its driver feedback, pros/cons etc. I am well aware of the maintenance costs on this vehicle as the M5 was also once an $80K car.

Again: 06, must be black, I want somewhere in the 30-35K miles range.

Questions:
1) Do all the 06 cars come with a panorama roof? Is it standard or an option?

2) Since I definitely want an 06 and it has to be black, does the interior trim come only in wood? I've heard the aluminum fades after a while and actually doesn't come on the 06s? Is this true? If not, what trim combos are there with a black 06 E55?

3) I have read so much on the airmatic suspension problems on this car? Do the 06s still suffer this problem or was it resolved in previous E55 years?

4) Is swapping of the heat exchanger a must on this motor? I hear that heatsoak is a major problem with this motor, especially after a hard run or two? How true is this and do the 06s suffer much from this? How difficult/expensive it is to swap the heat exchanger for a larger/better one? Does it solve the heatsoak problem?

5) The final problem I've heard is about the transmission bearing? It makes a large clunking sound even during normal driving- however, I was told by a MBZ mechanic that it was an issue on the earlier E55s (03/04) and was upgraded during the 05/06 years. Has anyone heard of this? Any help or tips?

My father is planning on buying my M5, so I'm not in a rush to sell and buy an 06, but figured I'd register and start reading and researching as much as I can before starting the hunt for a beautiful black 06.

Thank you in advance for any help, I look forward to hearing your responses and learning more on this board!

Last edited by LYE55; 12-19-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CL55
Seems most of the concerns you have are unfounded. I had an 05 E55, and it was rock solid reliable. Here's a low mile 06 that is pricey, but nice. Do yourself a favor, GO CPO!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item4a9d2c6602
Old 12-19-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by LYE55
Hi All,
I currently own an E39 M5 (I've had the car for a little over 4 1/2 years). I absolutely love the car and still do; however, my cousin, who's a used car dealer, buy an 04 E55 and I had the distinct pleasure of driving the car. I fell in love almost immediately. Therefore, after about a month of thinking it over, I've decided to leave the BMW world after owning 3 of them and try something different.

I want an 06 as it seems like this year, all the minor flaws and gremlins were worked out mostly.

The other stipulation I have is that it's black - I've always been a fan of black cars and all the cars I've owned have been black.

Just had several questions from some of you gurus out there on this car, its motor, its driver feedback, pros/cons etc. I am well aware of the maintenance costs on this vehicle as the M5 was also once an $80K car.

Again: 06, must be black, I want somewhere in the 30-35K miles range.

Questions:
1) Do all the 06 cars come with a panorama roof? Is it standard or an option?

2) Since I definitely want an 06 and it has to be black, does the interior trim come only in wood? I've heard the aluminum fades after a while and actually doesn't come on the 06s? Is this true? If not, what trim combos are there with a black 06 E55?

3) I have read so much on the airmatic suspension problems on this car? Do the 06s still suffer this problem or was it resolved in previous E55 years?

4) Is swapping of the heat exchanger a must on this motor? I hear that heatsoak is a major problem with this motor, especially after a hard run or two? How true is this and do the 06s suffer much from this? How difficult/expensive it is to swap the heat exchanger for a larger/better one? Does it solve the heatsoak problem?

5) The final problem I've heard is about the transmission bearing? It makes a large clunking sound even during normal driving- however, I was told by a MBZ mechanic that it was an issue on the earlier E55s (03/04) and was upgraded during the 05/06 years. Has anyone heard of this? Any help or tips?

My father is planning on buying my M5, so I'm not in a rush to sell and buy an 06, but figured I'd register and start reading and researching as much as I can before starting the hunt for a beautiful black 06.

Thank you in advance for any help, I look forward to hearing your responses and learning more on this board!
1. No, it is an option since 2003
2. Wood is your only option light or dark
3. Airmatic is the same in 06 as it was in 03, so if there is a problem, 03
or 06 it does not matter. I have had 3 E55s and never had an issue.
4. heat soak is more if you mod, if you install a bigger pully, you will want
to ad a heat exchanger ($400)
5. Never heard of this problem and never encountered it

Finally, I owned a 01 and 03 E39 M5. You will never look back brother. Even the supercharged E39s I have been in do not compare to a mildly modded E55. Raz on the M5 forum has an ESS supercharger and he rode in my buddies E55 with a 180 pully and could not belive it. Also, use the search function. Lots of good info here.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTB: 06 E55 AMG
Thanks for the info, guys.

It seems the airmatic and heat exchanger problems are the key items to be careful of when looking into these cars.

Thanks again.