Sponsored by:

ESP defective & Engine check light ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
ESP defective & Engine check light ?

Any ideas why this has been happening or has it happened to anyone? no warranty for my 2003, I drive the car every 2-4 days.

Did the front brakes 2 weeks ago and only changed one pad wear sensor and I am going to change the other tomorrow, but this must be unrelated and just a coincidence.

within the first 5-15 mins of driving from cold I get ESP defective warning and it goes into limp mode, then a few seconds later I get engine check light and then the engine runs rough and idle revs are high. Can happen randomly even when stationary and pulling off. But I have no choice but to pull over as limp mode really means you need a wheel chair to get anywhere quicker.

Disconnect the battery and drive for the first time, it all happens again within the next 5 mins.
Disconnect the battery for a second time and I can basically drive around the whole day (went to the shopping center, visited a few family/friends and did about 8 hours and 75 miles of varied driving fast/cruising ESP off/on (wheel spinning from the lights which is always great fun driving) stop/start/on/off and I get nothing.................what the hell is up with the electronics, I just want to pull everything out and would if I could!

steering sensor/tyres/wheel sensors...............why is it fine once its warmed up and driven?

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 12-27-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
it happened to me,

and the Brake Master Unit was defactive. ( under the white small resovior for the OIL brake)

replaced it and the car is back ^_^. part cost about $800.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E63
Had the same exact issue on my brand new 2009-started happening with 1K on the odometer....dealer replaced the valve body, the throttle body and then a completely new transmission....none of these things resolved the problem and they put me in a new 2009....hopefully my new 09 wont have the same issue....good luck getting your's resolved...
Old 12-28-2009, 05:33 PM

E55K AMG
Originally Posted by mzangari
Had the same exact issue on my brand new 2009-started happening with 1K on the odometer....dealer replaced the valve body, the throttle body and then a completely new transmission....none of these things resolved the problem and they put me in a new 2009....hopefully my new 09 wont have the same issue....good luck getting your's resolved...
Thanks mzangari. Had fault read by a very helpful tech today.

Fault says throttle body, tech was 99.9% sure that is the problem..........they are fairly expensive, but would be nice if it was a throttle position pedal sensor which sounds a lot cheaper. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...=throttle+body

He cleared the faults and I took apart the TB/motor and fully cleaned with contact cleaner etc and oiled the butterfly. went out and seemed ok until I gave it full throttle at around 80mph, DIED back into limp mode>warning message>CEL>20 Fxxxing MPH again!

Did this three times on a test drive, but all I had to do was switch of the ignition and wiggle the electrical plug in out on the throttle body to clear the problem?

I think I have the answer to my problems.........GET A WARRANTY!

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 12-28-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Bump for this....

I seem to have had the same symptoms tonight. Car started with a check engine light and then all of sudden ESP Malfunction and car stuttered to a stop.

Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM

E55K AMG
Originally Posted by tgoss
Bump for this....

I seem to have had the same symptoms tonight. Car started with a check engine light and then all of sudden ESP Malfunction and car stuttered to a stop.

Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Fortunately it was a simple fix.......... bad plug conection on the throttle body.

As I wiggled the TB plug I realised the revs changed slightly, also when on WOT it vibrated the plug and caused the error.

Removed the plug cleaned the pins up and ever so slightly bent them to make better contact.........

hope that helps. ... at least try moving the plug around.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
Fortunately it was a simple fix.......... bad plug conection on the throttle body.

As I wiggled the TB plug I realised the revs changed slightly, also when on WOT it vibrated the plug and caused the error.

Removed the plug cleaned the pins up and ever so slightly bent them to make better contact.........

hope that helps. ... at least try moving the plug around.
Thanks for the reply! Hopefully it's just something stupid and simple. I'll give it a try.