Replacing motor mounts. Best way???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Replacing motor mounts. Best way???

Hello all....

I did a few searches and couldn't find what I was looking for. I will be replacing the motor mounts very very soon, new ones should arrive at my dooestep today. Those of you who have done it, what is the best way? What do I really need to remove to get at the top mount bolt and gain enough clearance to slide them out?

I have all of the tools, full shop, a lift, etc... Shouldn't be too hard, but I want to know if there's any tricks or timesavers to changing them. How much time should I budget for this? As much as I love working on cars, this is not something I really want to do (shouldn't have to replace motor mounts to begin with, thanks MB), so I want to get it done quickly and not screw around with unnecessary part removal and aggravation.

I'll do my best to produce and share a comprehensive writeup with pictures when I do it.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
From what I've read, they're pretty straight forward. Hopefully someone will offer up some good advice.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
It's a very simple job(unlike SL65 engine mounts). I just can't remember if I took them out from the front between the subframe and the steering rack or if I took them out from the back after removing the exhaust. You should be able to see if they will fit out the front once you get the under shields off. Given the torque these engines have, it's becoming a common thing as these cars get older.

Nick
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 AM

2004 E55 AMG
So which components have to be removed? I'm guessing the undertrays, exhaust on both sides, and then the motor mounts themselves? No alternator, heat shield, or steering shaft removal or anything like that? Is it easy enought to just get a box-end wrench on the top mount bolts?

I really do hate asking these questions, but like I said, I just want to get it in and out of the shop as quickly as possible.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I want to say that you probably don't have to remove the exhaust, that you may be able to fit them out from the front underneath the car. You will need to remove the center and rear engine undershields, and you just about have to have a short(stubby) 16mm(I am %) to take the top bolt loose. You can use a prybar against the frame to get enough leverage on the wrench.

Or, I see you are in the Chicago burbs, you could just bring it to me at Motorwerks. I take very good care of MBworld people.

Nick
Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Cool Here's the step-by-step

Job is finished! Took about 2 hours, and much of that was trying to figure out how to weasel the old mounts out and the new ones in. No camera today, but its a simple enough job.

Raise the vehicle and remove all 3 undershields. The front one doesn't really need to come out, but I didn't want it flopping around above me.

Remove the lower mount bolts with a 13mm socket and a ratchet/extension.

remove the upper bolts with a 16mm stubby wrench. If you can't break them loose, use a regular-length 16mm to crack them. There will be just enough room.

Now raise the engine as high as you can. I used an adjustable screw-type exhaust stand and placed it on the harmonic balancer pulley.

Remove the upper 2 mount bolts the rest of the way and free the mounts.

Now the fun begins. If you don't want to remove the exhaust, and who really does, you can sneak the mounts out the front. To do so, remove the two nuts that secure the bottom of the sway bar links to the lower control arm. Now slide the links off of the studs so both sides of the bar are free. Have the heaviest person you can find grab one end of the sway bar and hang off of it while you yank the mount out through the opening. It will not come easily.

Since I was by myself, I used a strap, hooked it to one end of the sway bar, formed a loop with the other end and then stood on it with both feet. I am 285 pounds and it was just enough to move the bar all the way. You may have to experiment, but this is what worked for me.

Installation is the reverse of removal, nothing special.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
No pics for future replacers like me!!

Just busing chops.....but I have been loving the DIY's some of the guys have been doing.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
No pics for future replacers like me!!

Just busing chops.....but I have been loving the DIY's some of the guys have been doing.

I felt bad, but I was under a time crunch and just wanted to get it done. Next time I'm under there I'll take a few pictures, draw a few arrows using paint, and post them up. Honestly though it is extremely straightforward. When I have to do it again I should be able to get it done in about one and a quarter hours.

The hardest part was pulling the old mounts out and shoving the new ones past the swaybar and steering rack. If you remove the exhaust it'll be super-easy, but after I put a socket on the bolts I decided I didn't want to break out the torch and/or possibly break a manifold stud. As long as you have a way to put about 250-300 pounds of force on the ends of the swaybar to swivel it out of the way and you're not afraid to get a little rough, it is an easy job. Don't try it this way laying on the ground though, take off the exhaust if you're going to try it that way.