Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 as a daily Driver.......need help please before pulling trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I would not recommend this car if you expect long carefree miles. To me cost is second to inconvenience of shop time. PITA. My 04 E55 I bought at 31k, its now at 45k and $8k in warranty. AMG has astronomical repair costs.

Despite this it's what I like to drive every day but I have two other cars to use when this has problems. It's a high performance rig that will probably go 150k, but not without expensive hiccups.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
I bought mine 6 months ago with 35,000 miles as a "weekend car", specifically for the drive to my parent's and brother's homes (I live in DC, parents in Philly, brother's in CT). My wife and I both have cars provided by our companies that pay for everything including gas. Long story short, with two free cars that we don't have to pay for gas, we have put 12,000 miles on the car and average about 350.00 in monthly gas bills (she went from being dead set against getting it to actively asking to drive it). The only time it's been in the shop is for routine maintenance, visual mods and to get new rotors and front pads. I do have a Chrysler warranty (I don't like crossing my fingers).

It has, by far, been the best 12,000 miles I have ever had in a car. Like someone posted earlier, you will find reasons to drive it. My wife now sends me on errands I would never do before because she knows I don't care what it is, I get to drive. I once had the urge to see my nephew. My brother and his family were leaving on vacation the next day. I drove up to CT, spent two hours playing with nephew, drove home. I had the best time with my nephew and I didn't think once about the drive there and back (except to giggle at how much fun I was having).

What you must be prepared for is this:
1) They make unGodly noises, making you constantly think something is wrong.
2) You will become paranoid that your airmatic suspension has sprung a leak or has failed (I periodically turn on my car just to see if the I get the "red screen of death" when I think it's sitting too low)
3) You will learn the hard way that the "raise car" button really is your friend.
4) When they break, they are expensive to fix.
5) The nav flat out sucks

Since every engine is made by one individual, some may be more reliable than others. I don't know what other cars you are looking at (for me it was M5, E63, SRT8, XJR) but I couldn't be happier. If I could use it as a daily driver, I would (then I'd probably get the laser interceptor finally installed that's sitting in my office).
Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
fwiw, I have a 2009 E63 with 12k on it now. It's my daily and I use it everyday, with lots of long drives. Has the new COMAND with latest VC and Nav which is pretty good, imho.

So far, the car is solid. I think by 2009 they had it all down.

The rear tires will need replacement probably pretty soon. But I think I can even squeak by another 5k-10k from them if I behave.

btw, the MB dealers will top off oil free of charge, too (like BMW.) I've done it twice during the 12k I've had it (1/2 quart both times) and at two different dealers, and neither was the dealer I bought the car from. I'm also happy with 1 quart in 12k (at least I assume that's not too bad; motor feels good and tight so far. Plus I have no valve train ticking either.)
Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
"They make unGodly noises, making you constantly think something is wrong. "

Isn't that the truth. It just got really cold here in Florida (25deg) and after I started it up I thought something was going to fall off.

Be prepared to buy really good tires unless you like amusement park ride out of control feel all the time. Also be prepared to buy them frequently.

I'm at the fun stage of my tires...probably only 2k left so I want to lay patches everywhere just to get to the new tires. Woohoo.