W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-17-2015, 03:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Air Filter Change? How To?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Air Filter Change? How To?

I have owned my 06 E55 for a little over a year now. It is due for it's second service very shortly and I want to start doing some of the things myself (oil change, air filters, cabin air filters, etc.). I have looked in the DIY section of the site for instructions on how to change the air filters, but I didn't find anything. Doing a search for air filters brings up a lot of threads and I read through a few of them, but didn't find any specific instructions. I think I know where they are located (I know there are two of them) but I am not 100% sure. I think they are in the silver "boxes" on either side of the engine just proximal to the black tubes but when I began to remove one of the torx screws, it seemed to be much longer than I thought it would be and didn't want to go any further... Can someone tell me where they are located?

Also, for the year of my E55, I believe I have only one cabin air filter, which is located inside of the engine compartment, and not the one under the glove box. Is this correct? Also, if it is the one located inside of the engine compartment (I believe it is on the left side of the care near the firewall), how does that black cover come off?

I just want to make sure I do things correctly and not damage my vehicle...

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Air filters, yes your correct undo the torx screws and you will see the air filters, same on most of the twin filter set-ups.

Cabin filter is on the passenger side engine bay under the big black cover (should have air conditioning sticker on it) held on by a plastic nut I think a 10mm might be 13mm, lift cover upwards from the nut end as it is hinged on clips at the other end, you will also see the small secondary batt in there.

don't want to high jack but after doing my last oil change, notice my oil pan gasket is leaking..................anyone got DIY advice on changing, seems simple but I did not have a good look to see if mounts need to be loosened i.e. lift engine?

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 01-14-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
Air filters, yes your correct undo the torx screws and you will see the air filters, same on most of the twin filter set-ups.

Cabin filter is on the passenger side engine bay under the big black cover (should have air conditioning sticker on it) held on by a plastic nut I think a 10mm might be 13mm, lift cover upwards from the nut end as it is hinged on clips at the other end, you will also see the small secondary batt in there.
Thanks for replying. Right after posting my thread I decided to give it another shot and confirmed my suspicion that was indeed where the air filters were located. I also figured out how to remove the cover over the cover that houses the cabin air filter (although I did not remove the cover itself).

I did have a little bit of a problem getting the tube that goes from just behind the radiator to the air box where the air filter is located on the right side. The round part kept getting bent up when I was trying to put it back on but finally got it on correctly... May be worth replacing (although it isn't an item that really gets much use except when changing the filters...

As far as oil changes go, I have heard that the extraction method is the best way to do it... (of course, there is debate on this...) And, if you do drain the oil, I have heard it is best to replace the gasket with a new gasket each time.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by 06E55
Thanks for replying. Right after posting my thread I decided to give it another shot and confirmed my suspicion that was indeed where the air filters were located. I also figured out how to remove the cover over the cover that houses the cabin air filter (although I did not remove the cover itself).

I did have a little bit of a problem getting the tube that goes from just behind the radiator to the air box where the air filter is located on the right side. The round part kept getting bent up when I was trying to put it back on but finally got it on correctly... May be worth replacing (although it isn't an item that really gets much use except when changing the filters...

As far as oil changes go, I have heard that the extraction method is the best way to do it... (of course, there is debate on this...) And, if you do drain the oil, I have heard it is best to replace the gasket with a new gasket each time.
Always glad to hear when work is done by the owner ..........its very satisfying and give you piece of mind.

Yes I used new sump plugs and washers, its the gasket between the pan and the block that I need to replace, unless the oil is coming from somewhere else
Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current: 2004 E55 Sold:350zTT
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
Always glad to hear when work is done by the owner ..........its very satisfying and give you piece of mind.

Yes I used new sump plugs and washers, its the gasket between the pan and the block that I need to replace, unless the oil is coming from somewhere else
Not sure on your mileage, but check valve cover gaskets and motor mounts. Sorry for thread jack, glad to hear you figured out your concerns OP.