Engine swap from 55 (or other) to a 63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
azn,
The concern about ECU and factory amenities is all a question of $$$... will you go full standalone (ala MoTeC) with factory ECU controlling auxiliary systems, do you want to tune a factory ECU which is junk anyways and poorly understood, blah blah blah
-m
Appreciate the feedback. I've looked into the motec units and even the person that I spoke with at Motec thinks that if going their route that the most likely method to retain other systems would be by piggybacking. But admittedly aren't sure if the stock systems would go haywire by trying to piggyback that way.

The most simple way that I can think of is just swapping in all the 63 electronics are necessary. I guess a simpler question would be "what necessary electronics ARE compatible between the older platform and the ECU necessary for the 63?" I thought that there might be a couple of mbenz mechanic types or performance shops who have seen older equipment along with 63 equipment and know what has actually changed along the way....

It seems that I may need to go more grassroots and hunt em down the old-school way of phones.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I was just browsing some UK SLK forums and there were threads about the SLK with the 6.2 motor. A lot of speculation about the chassis with this motor and whether MB will soon produce one with the 6.2, etc.. (speculation that went back as far as 2006.) Lots of people saying the bonnet and bay has to be enlarged; the weight of the motor up front means redesigning the suspension; the chassis dynamics won't ever work with it; etc., etc.. blah, blah.

Anyway, despite whether or not it's a good idea or not to drop a 63 motor in an existing SLK chassis, most people here aren't that curious about nor understand it (as Marcus implies.) Nobody here will (or can) answer the question other than in some rhetorical fashion. OP needs to either do it or don't do it. Whether it's worth it or not in time and money is up to him.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by azncarjunkie
Apparently everyone else just ignores you since they actually comment on what the post was originally about. Saying that it can't be done because "it needs 2 fuel pumps" is just plain pathetic.

The question from the original post is what would be needed to get it done. I didn't say anything about it being economically efficient. Nor did I want to pose the question in a manner that would open it up to answers by internet trolls like yourself with tidbits of relevant information that make you think that you know anything when it comes to real engineering.

Sorry to burst your 'internet knowledge bubble' to get your panties in a fritz. But if you want to actually try and add any real value to a thread, try talking about something specific like how the 63 electronics system is different and therefore only the cluster may work and that I'd need to get other 63 eis/tcu, etc modules. I was told the 63 ecu is based on a different bosch system, but unsure of what old components may still work with it.

I don't claim to know which is why I'm asking. I'm just laughing at you since you're jumping in as if you know it all and I shudder to think that people even listen to you.
Hey, relax your self, you dont like his answer fine, dont get offended.
Dont be rude !
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Apparently everyone else just ignores you since they actually comment on what the post was originally about. Saying that it can't be done because "it needs 2 fuel pumps" is just plain pathetic.

The question from the original post is what would be needed to get it done. I didn't say anything about it being economically efficient. Nor did I want to pose the question in a manner that would open it up to answers by internet trolls like yourself with tidbits of relevant information that make you think that you know anything when it comes to real engineering.

Sorry to burst your 'internet knowledge bubble' to get your panties in a fritz. But if you want to actually try and add any real value to a thread, try talking about something specific like how the 63 electronics system is different and therefore only the cluster may work and that I'd need to get other 63 eis/tcu, etc modules. I was told the 63 ecu is based on a different bosch system, but unsure of what old components may still work with it.

I don't claim to know which is why I'm asking. I'm just laughing at you since you're jumping in as if you know it all and I shudder to think that people even listen to you.
Just to settle this once and for all......and if you don't know Rob Allan then you're really showing your ignorance...this is the question posted on the Private Lounge Sept 20th , 2006 -

here is the link : http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...p?t=515&page=2

[12] Posted by MBUSA_Rob_Allan 09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
MBUSA_Rob_Allan
Report | Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie
"We are not able to comment on Future Product Strategy." Oh, puh-le-e-e-se. What do you think we're interested in? (See, for example, the FIRST question.)

Here's mine: Will the SLK get the 6.3 liter engine? If so, when?

Seriously, I can get into some trouble over this, but I will try to give you guys some good information.

The SLK 55 AMG is planned to continue with the 5.5 naturally-aspirated engine. A lot of the reason behind this is fuel delivery system since the new 63 AMG uses tandem fuel pumps and filters and there is just not enough space under the R171 SLK for this setup.

Things could change, but this is unlikely.

....now run along little boy and go get your shine box....

Last edited by C43AMG; 01-26-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 PM

CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Just to settle this once and for all......and if you don't know Rob Allan then you're really showing your ignorance...this is the question posted on the Private Lounge Sept 20th , 2006 -

MBUSA_Rob_Allan
Report | Quote:
"We are not able to comment on Future Product Strategy." Oh, puh-le-e-e-se. What do you think we're interested in? (See, for example, the FIRST question.)

Seriously, I can get into some trouble over this, but I will try to give you guys some good information.

The SLK 55 AMG is planned to continue with the 5.5 naturally-aspirated engine. A lot of the reason behind this is fuel delivery system since the new 63 AMG uses tandem fuel pumps and filters and there is just not enough space under the R171 SLK for this setup.

You're proving yourself to be blind to how cars or modification work over the marketing of a large manufacturer. I never asked if a 63 was going to be OEM nor do I care since I doubt they ever would for any significant production run. This is the same situation as to why people are wondering why the Porsche Caymen doesn't get the turbo motor--IT'S MARKETING AND PRODUCT POSITIONING.

The SLR/SLK motorswap is a prime example of where fuel pumps had to be upgraded. So are the numerous slk55 motors where people bolted on superchargers with and without fuel upgrades.

I'm quite certain that you know a good amount about OEM mercedes everything, so I'm not even going to comment about that. But do the world a favor and learn a little something about modifying cars before you start talking as if you know what it takes.

P.S., The world is round despite what you may have read somewhere.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Check out srtforum. There's a guy on there that popped a merc 5.0 in his Crossfire. He could probably tell you a lot about the electronics side. http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ion-diary.html
Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Esh

E55
You're proving yourself to be blind to how cars or modification work over the marketing of a large manufacturer. I never asked if a 63 was going to be OEM nor do I care since I doubt they ever would for any significant production run. This is the same situation as to why people are wondering why the Porsche Caymen doesn't get the turbo motor--IT'S MARKETING AND PRODUCT POSITIONING.

The SLR/SLK motorswap is a prime example of where fuel pumps had to be upgraded. So are the numerous slk55 motors where people bolted on superchargers with and without fuel upgrades.

I'm quite certain that you know a good amount about OEM mercedes everything, so I'm not even going to comment about that. But do the world a favor and learn a little something about modifying cars before you start talking as if you know what it takes.

P.S., The world is round despite what you may have read somewhere.
Obviously you haven't been getting the answer you want here. Time to just close it down and either get to work on the project and let us know how it.

People here just don't know about the SLK because this isn't the SLK part of the forum. Most owners here that own E's have gone to SL's when they go 2-seater MB. Even then, they don't know the differences in the platforms. Most people that have put big $$$ into their AMG's haven't done something like what you want to do.

You asked for help and the people here are trying to help you. If you don't want it or like it, that's ok, but you should probably be thanking them for their input. Take your attitude somewhere else. Good luck, continue to ask questions and the people here will do the best they can to answer them. Please don't ridicule their answer or you're likely to receive nothing from them in the future.

Last edited by Esh; 01-27-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Appreciate the feedback. I've looked into the motec units and even the person that I spoke with at Motec thinks that if going their route that the most likely method to retain other systems would be by piggybacking. But admittedly aren't sure if the stock systems would go haywire by trying to piggyback that way.
Well again, the answer is how much money you want to spend. There is going to be some trial and error and I doubt that anyone is going to be able to give you a straight answer as to whether the factory Bosch ME ECU is going to be 100% compatible riding piggy back on a MoTeC system. You're going to have to invest the resources to find out. I think you are wasting your money, when the factory 55 motor could be easily modified to take sufficient HP for a street application while retaining all the factory electronics.

The most simple way that I can think of is just swapping in all the 63 electronics are necessary. I guess a simpler question would be "what necessary electronics ARE compatible between the older platform and the ECU necessary for the 63?" I thought that there might be a couple of mbenz mechanic types or performance shops who have seen older equipment along with 63 equipment and know what has actually changed along the way....
The ECUs are not the same... 55s use the Bosch ME2.8 and the 63s use Bosch ME9.7. Fundamentally different and likely not compatible. You may be new to the MB world and unfortunately we do not enjoy the same kind of "transparency" from Mercedes that one wishes for. We really have little to no idea even of what the differences are between the various 55 platforms and their engines, so questions like the compatibility of various Bosch ECU platforms and engines is more in depth than MB or most tuners are willing to share with the community. I'll tell you something though, I'm sure we can point you to a number of shops that could pull this mod off very easily... but it'll cost you.

It seems that I may need to go more grassroots and hunt em down the old-school way of phones.
That's another option... sorry we couldn't be of more help.

-m
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Esh

E55
Originally Posted by citylightva
Check out srtforum. There's a guy on there that popped a merc 5.0 in his Crossfire. He could probably tell you a lot about the electronics side. http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ion-diary.html
That could be very helpful. Would have been nice to see the SRT (shares a lot with the SLK32) converted, but I'm sure there are some things the OP can use.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:28 AM

CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by Esh
Obviously you haven't been getting the answer you want here. Time to just close it down and either get to work on the project and let us know how it.

People here just don't know about the SLK because this isn't the SLK part of the forum. Most owners here that own E's have gone to SL's when they go 2-seater MB. Even then, they don't know the differences in the platforms. Most people that have put big $$$ into their AMG's haven't done something like what you want to do.

You asked for help and the people here are trying to help you. If you don't want it or like it, that's ok, but you should probably be thanking them for their input. Take your attitude somewhere else. Good luck, continue to ask questions and the people here will do the best they can to answer them. Please don't ridicule their answer or you're likely to receive nothing from them in the future.
Esh, i have no issues with other people chiming in about how it's not economical nor easy, which I'd imagine it wouldn't be. C43 chiming in that it's a fact that it's "impossible because he says so" is just plain bad for the progression of any internet community that does want to learn more about their vehicles.

Marcus, thanks for the insight as I'm sure that whoever reads that will have actually learned something useful.

Most projects are for the fun of doing so and learning rather than just the end result.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:30 AM

CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by Esh
That could be very helpful. Would have been nice to see the SRT (shares a lot with the SLK32) converted, but I'm sure there are some things the OP can use.
I saw the guy with that crossfire post somewhere. My understanding is that the crossfire is the exact same chassis as the old SLk (r170). Chrysler saw a good platform and just used it on that. I believe the 300M is an E-class chassis also. Probably why both of those cars actually got good reviews from auto critics.

Also why it's easier to swap in the 55 motor since electronics like eachother already.

thanks for that thread link. didn't see the actual thread build before.

Last edited by azncarjunkie; 01-27-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43AMG, don't forget that part of the deal with the AMG PL is to never link or copy/paste anything that comes from there. That's part of the user's agreement, fwiw. They claim that they'll close down the Q+A sessions if it happens. No biggie, just a reminder.

p.s, I realize it was a while ago and Rob Allan is now with Maserati, but just the same...

Last edited by 220S; 01-27-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Esh

E55
chiming in that it's a fact that it's "impossible because he says so" is just plain bad for the progression of any internet community that does want to learn more about their vehicles.
Understandable, looking forward to updates.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG

MBUSA_Rob_Allan
Report | Quote:

I have a Bosch inline pump sitting in front of me on my desk that will flow enough fuel to supply just about anything. Certainly it's not a practical solution for mass-production, but for an engine swap it would work just fine. Maybe you're forgetting that this is a DIY project, and not a production-ready car that has to pass numerous tests(EPA, NVH, etc..), easy to manufacture, be OEM in every way, hit a certain price point, etc.. According to you, if AMG/Affalterbach didn't do it, then it can't be done. By anyone. Ever. All because some guy said there's two fuel pumps. The fuel pump issue is not really even an issue compared to other elements of a swap like this. I'm not sure why you're hanging onto it so tightly???
Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by izzyz28
I have a Bosch inline pump sitting in front of me on my desk that will flow enough fuel to supply just about anything. Certainly it's not a practical solution for mass-production, but for an engine swap it would work just fine. Maybe you're forgetting that this is a DIY project, and not a production-ready car that has to pass numerous tests(EPA, NVH, etc..), easy to manufacture, be OEM in every way, hit a certain price point, etc.. According to you, if AMG/Affalterbach didn't do it, then it can't be done. By anyone. Ever. All because some guy said there's two fuel pumps. The fuel pump issue is not really even an issue compared to other elements of a swap like this. I'm not sure why you're hanging onto it so tightly???
It all started with his first post where he thought it was a simple "plug n' play" dropping the 6.3 into the SLK55 chasis.He said "I'm assuming it should physically fit easily since a 55 motor will fit and it's likely the same mounting points." My response of "It doesn't , it won't and if it did, Afalterbach would have." was answers to - "It should phsically fit" , "easily" and if boths of his points were correct ,then Affalterbach would have dropped it in and we would have the SLK63.The sarcastic comments start on posts # 8,10,17.The discussion started with "fitment" and then proceeded to a DIY.I then posted the proof that it wouldn't work - as a "plug n' play" and this is where we are.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
I'm a little confused here- what is the difficulty in adding another inline fuel pump? We do it in DSM's all the time- it's actually a very simple thing to do w/a proper fpr. Which engine swap is plug and play?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM

CLS55 black opal
It all started with his first post where he thought it was a simple "plug n' play" dropping the 6.3 into the SLK55 chasis.He said "I'm assuming it should physically fit easily since a 55 motor will fit and it's likely the same mounting points." My response of "It doesn't , it won't and if it did, Afalterbach would have." was answers to - "It should phsically fit" , "easily" and if boths of his points were correct ,then Affalterbach would have dropped it in and we would have the SLK63.The sarcastic comments start on posts # 8,10,17.The discussion started with "fitment" and then proceeded to a DIY.I then posted the proof that it wouldn't work - as a "plug n' play" and this is where we are.
Plug n' play is where YOU are, I don't think anyone else is there.

Re-read the first post. Nowhere did I say that it was a simple plug and play, nor would I make that assumption. My primary area of concern was the electronics since I know that the systems all work together and the 63 electronics were different than the older systems (as Marcus more clearly enlightened us).

Additionally, "fitting" the motor does seem like a very likely candidate that would "drop-in" with very little or possibly even no modification to mounting points. It's still possible that engine dimensions/angles/etc will make it not fit in the slk, but I haven't heard anyone say exactly why yet.

If Brabus thought the way that you did, Brabus wouldn't be shoving V12's into the CLS, Gwagon, Eclass, and others. Afterall, if Affalterbach didn't make a V12 CLS, then it "can't" be done.

The challenge isn't the limitation of "it can't", but "how"....regardless of effort and $. That's what I'd imagine most true car modification enthusiasts want to know and then make up their minds if it's worth doing.

We'll see how this goes. Future projects are probably going to be an American muscle followed by cramming v12's into other chassis. I'll keep people posted...will be slow progress as I get the motor built to my likings.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Here you are almost done,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...item35a6a2178e
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM

'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
azncarjunkie

I say good luck with your build!

In the UK there isn't much call for transplants and when I did mine I had a hell of a time getting information to do a relatively simple swap of my 430 engine to a N/A 55 AMG. Even Mercedes UK were telling me it couldn't be done! .

If you've got the funding as Marcus says anything can be done. You may not have got your answers here but keep looking.

Here's something for motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5MA0svuuE4 .

Last edited by Pauljay; 01-27-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The challenge isn't the limitation of "it can't", but "how"....regardless of effort and $. That's what I'd imagine most true car modification enthusiasts want to know and then make up their minds if it's worth doing.
Yeah, I guess if that weren't the case then AMG would have never existed in the first place. Aufrecht and Melcher would have given up from the very beginning.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
One of my first hotrods was a 1975 Chevy Luv. (that was a little japanese built pickup from Isuzu with a bowtie on the grill) Someone had shoe horned a small block Chevy into it and I added a blower. I also had a 1978 Trans Am with a 6.6 with NOS and a Doug Nash 5 speed along with others. I understand the lure of doing something out of the ordinary but over the years have learned that buying the latest and greatest technology is an easier and less costly way to make you grin.
I'm curious what your projected budget is for this endeavor. Add that to the cost or better yet, current value of the car and engine to get a total projected investment. If you took those same dollars and bought a (insert what that money would buy) it may be more fun to drive, pleasant experience with fewer breakdowns, issues and more importantly a better re-sale and investment. Just my .02
If you decide to take on the project I wish you the very best.
Warren
Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM

CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
One of my first hotrods was a 1975 Chevy Luv. (that was a little japanese built pickup from Isuzu with a bowtie on the grill) Someone had shoe horned a small block Chevy into it and I added a blower. I also had a 1978 Trans Am with a 6.6 with NOS and a Doug Nash 5 speed along with others. I understand the lure of doing something out of the ordinary but over the years have learned that buying the latest and greatest technology is an easier and less costly way to make you grin.
I'm curious what your projected budget is for this endeavor. Add that to the cost or better yet, current value of the car and engine to get a total projected investment. If you took those same dollars and bought a (insert what that money would buy) it may be more fun to drive, pleasant experience with fewer breakdowns, issues and more importantly a better re-sale and investment. Just my .02
If you decide to take on the project I wish you the very best.
Warren

Definitely appreciate the insight as in my head, i certainly 'know' the same thing, but I'd probably imagine that despite the headaches, trials, and tribulations, that you wouldn't trade in the experience and fun of tweaking and what you've learned along the way.

The budget is for fun. I'm already assuming that there will virtually little to no resale value (including if the car catches fire and burns...otherwise the motor should still be something).

I've got other vehicles for reliability. Something like this is much more for 'fun'. It's like a grown up's soap-box car
Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Definitely appreciate the insight as in my head, i certainly 'know' the same thing, but I'd probably imagine that despite the headaches, trials, and tribulations, that you wouldn't trade in the experience and fun of tweaking and what you've learned along the way.

The budget is for fun. I'm already assuming that there will virtually little to no resale value (including if the car catches fire and burns...otherwise the motor should still be something).

I've got other vehicles for reliability. Something like this is much more for 'fun'. It's like a grown up's soap-box car
I don't know how much you read thru that Crossfire thread, but I think the guy in France was transplanting the 5.5 into an SLK...I know that's totally different, but some of the ECU reporgramming tips those guys have are probably pretty useful to anything you are trying to do. Like they said though, you really want to find a Star Tech and pick their brain....
Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM

a toy
Originally Posted by kjlindgr
Yes, it's a truck motor (stout) with over drive. Prove your 25% drivetrain loss comment now.
Prove? If you like it, go for it
I've seen it enough times with dismal results. Everyone would swap out the 4L60 for the 4L80 and get less rwhp.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E CLASS
Hey Azn,

Sorry, no insight to lend but good luck with the build . Keep us posted...also, there is no feeling quite like building something that no one else has. If you build it...they will come