W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone please explain what a "Split Loop" is?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 / 13 C63
Can someone please explain what a "Split Loop" is?

As the title states, can someone clarify for me what this means ? I am assuming it relates to the intercooler?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
our engine cooling system and i/c cooling system have a shared connection that can bleed warm engine coolant into the i/c circuit. this mod is simply removing that connection as a bandaid to help i/c temps stay a bit cooler. if you do this, you must also add a method to fill the i/c circuit independently.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 / 13 C63
Originally Posted by chiromikey
our engine cooling system and i/c cooling system have a shared connection that can bleed warm engine coolant into the i/c circuit. this mod is simply removing that connection as a bandaid to help i/c temps stay a bit cooler. if you do this, you must also add a method to fill the i/c circuit independently.
Do you think it is necessary if you live in a 4 season state? For instance, we only have ~4 months that are considered hot/very humid throughout the year (usually out of those, two of the months have extreme conditions of hot/humidity).

I'm assuming there are more efficient ways to keep temps cooler? Such as a bigger H/E (from Code 3, for instance) and an upgraded I/C pump (like the Meziere one).

Thank you for your help
Old 02-15-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I think it depends on how hard you run your car.

If she is a daily driver with occasional highway spurts for fun, then I say leave it as is. Just know that the car WILL struggle on hotter days and won't be giving you her full hp potential. (splitting doesn't increase hp. Just helps the system stay cooler and recover faster) That being said, splitting doesn't really solve the problem as my car is just a dog machine on 90+ degree days. I have split system, additional exchanger, trunk res and Johnson gorilla pump and still have problems on hot days.

If you are a bit harder on her or in a warmer weather state like Mikey, I think it is vital to separate.

The intercooler setup was a horrible mistake from AMG but like many of us torque-aholics, you put up with it for the diesel truck type of torque.

Gonna be interesting to see what they are working on to cool the new TT V8 coming out in a year or so.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Jakpro1,

You should make a thread to update us on your car. You are one of the OG modders on here and I'm sure a lot of the newbies on here would appreciate seeing your car and everything you have done to it.

I am not a big fan of the split loop/circuit route for three main reasons:

1.) If your car is unable to cool coolant properly, it is unable to cool coolant properly. Splitting the system to bandaid it (as chiromikey stated) is not solving the problem, it's masking it.
2.) The only way to give the intercooler circuit enough capacity to make it worthwhile, you have to add a trunk reservoir. I don't like having a big seperate reservoir with coolant lines running under the floorpanels of the car and overall taking this very non-factory approach. I like simple and clean.
3.) I want my heat exchanger to help remove heat from my coolant, all of it. There are benefits to running a cooler engine, and not just trying to cool for low IATs.

I live in a 4-season climate, and my system is not split. I was having problems with IATs recently that was likely due to a faulty CM30 pump. As I write this it is being replaced with a Meziere WP136S pump. I will post up what benefits I see from it in my dataloggers thread.

-m