Sponsored by:

Transform the air matic to the air suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Duckyamg,

Is that a direct bolt on kit w/ no modification needed? Fully adjustable? Did you use you factory air management system? (ie, Oem compressor, tank, valves, line)
Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Moped
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Ducky,

So what is your point?
Most of us here don't have Camaros, Mustangs, old trucks, ect.
Do you have a system that is better than the AirMatic for the E55?
My "point" is that air ride is more then 24's and hand guns... It is a rapidly progressing market, and the utility and performance has greatly improved. You wouldn't tell that from the sheep.

I don't currently have an E55, but I'm looking at acquiring one in the next 6 months and piecing together my own air setup. Will it be on 24's? Most certainly not, will it be more functional then The Godfather's car? Most definitely. Will it have the same if not better performance? From my experience, most probably yes. Air ride allows you to ride low in the straights and for "show," but raise the suspension for increased handling and functionality.

Don't get me wrong, I loved his car and love the lowered look, but it's not functional for daily driving, potholes, speed bumps and steep inclines.

With a proper setup it will also be "better" in the sense that it will be more reliable and easier (read: cheaper) to fix in the event of a failure.

I know I am in the minority here, but "to each his own."
Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Moped
Originally Posted by 27300man
Duckyamg,

Is that a direct bolt on kit w/ no modification needed? Fully adjustable? Did you use you factory air management system? (ie, Oem compressor, tank, valves, line)
No aftermarket setup is going to be a direct "bolt on."

There are several managment options, but I know of a few people that have supplanted the Audi Allroad system with their own custom air ride ride and maintained the factory ride controls.

I prefer an aftermarket option that allows you to store several ride options, but allows you to independently control each corner.

Or an even more advanced option in accuair that uses levels per corner to insure a leveled height.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
acb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 e55 amg
You do realise we have adjustable suspension already including a raise button to get over things.

Oh and swanning in here when you dont even own a E55 and saying your car is going to be better in ever way to one of the hottest E55's that has been on here...well maybe you should stick to driving slow BMW's..
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM

Moped
Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I'm curious as to how an aftermarket like this will be necessarily more reliable than current OEM. Especially with what looks like a more complex system multiple pumps, relays, valves, remote adjustment, etc., and coming from various vendors.

The next question would be how performance oriented is this? i.e., if you want the handling of the optional P030 performance package. The AMG P030 air system is tuned for better rebound and compression for the track, etc.. The majority of AMG owners are after performance, I'm assuming.

fwiw, Arnott's rebuilt OEM AMG air struts are built with Goodyear bladders which they claim allow for their lifetime warranty. So there may be better component quality with those, as least with the rubber parts.

With MB it seems to be potential bladder and/or line leakage. The relay and pump can burn out only if there's a leak. No leak and no problem. Relatively reliable, but just expensive. That expense seems to be the bigger problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Moped
I'll stick to the German's then..

Keep in mind, many of these have shortened struts designed to ride low, unlike a car that is wearing a factory strut. The bags generally have 5-6" of travel.

My buddies passat

Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 PM

Moped
Originally Posted by 220S
I'm curious as to how an aftermarket like this will be necessarily more reliable than current OEM. Especially with what looks like a more complex system multiple pumps, relays, valves, remote adjustment, etc., and coming from various vendors.

With MB it seems to be potential bladder and/or line leakage. The relay and pump can burn out only if there's a leak. No leak and no problem. Relatively reliable, but just expensive. That expense seems to be the bigger problem.
The aftermarket pumps (compressors) are $200 and would require less then 3 minutes to swap out and can be done with basic tools. The Uvair or Firestone bags are even cheaper. If that's any indication of the cost differences.

What I am comparing with regard to performance is aftermarket air ride vs. the stock airmatic or aftermarket coilover system.

What I am curious here is as others had expressed. Warning lights etc with replacing the air-matic system. I sent a PM to the OP inquiring on the setup, management. I prefer a 5-7 gallon tank with 2x VIAIR 400C or 480C compressors.

Originally Posted by 220S
The next question would be how performance oriented is this? i.e., if you want the handling of the optional P030 performance package. The AMG P030 air system is tuned for better rebound and compression for the track, etc.. The majority of AMG owners are after performance, I'm assuming.

fwiw, Arnott's rebuilt OEM AMG air struts are built with Goodyear bladders which they claim allow for their lifetime warranty. So there may be better component quality with those, as least with the rubber parts.
My interest is simply to find an alternative to the more costly/ seemingly more limiting solutions...

I never get why people conform to higher post count masses and go along with what they approve of..(ie. Sheep-status) My guess is because most of them are pocket tuners that pay a shop to handle 100% of their upgrades... Or simply change their wheels and do a few bolt-ons and think they have clout to spread their disinformation across a forum full of "enthusiasts."

I'm just questioning, why not.

Last edited by DuckyAMG; 05-10-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by DuckyAMG
I never get why people conform to higher post count masses and go along with what they approve of..(ie. Sheep-status) My guess is because most of them are pocket tuners that pay a shop to handle 100% of their upgrades...
to me your ideas sound like a **** in the wind, as I mean doing something that is a complete waste of effort and time for which you can expect no results and may even backfire on you. BTW, I love that Green Mercedes that you just posted, but I don't know why it is hydraulic related, I am sure it would look the same with good coil-over suspension set-up.

Last edited by Karlson; 05-10-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 AM
acb

2005 e55 amg

Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Moped
Originally Posted by Karlson
to me your ideas sound like a **** in the wind, as I mean doing something that is a complete waste of effort and time for which you can expect no results and may even backfire on you. BTW, I love that Green Mercedes that you just posted, but I don't know why it is hydraulic related, I am sure it would look the same with good coil-over suspension set-up.
Waste of effort? Waste of time? no result? potential of a backfire? Isn't that what tuning/ modding is all about?

I'd love to hear how something that offers more functionality is a waste of effort/ time.

Hydraulic related? Please do not confuse "hydraulics" with "air suspension." Thanks.

Could you achieve that "look" with coil-overs? Maybe, will it ride as good or be functional? NO!

Here is another similar Benz from Canada.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 AM

Moped
Originally Posted by acb
Closed mind and wide open *******, my only question is... Does he give the reach around?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 AM

Moped
... or are you strictly a bottom?

I should be so quick to judge. Oh the irony.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
My daily driver is old Volvo with KW V2 coil-overs, not bad at all. just saying..
Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Moped
How old?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
That Amazon works for me. But not so much the current cars, esp the Audis. There's something about vintage and bagged that just kills anything modern, imho.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 AM

Moped
Looks like our buddy Godfather was hunting the same trail..

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-w211-55s.html

While I'm not considering the airlift systems (lamborghini/ audi) the idea of using a Pss9 or other viable adjustable coilover is extremely on point. You can lift the car to the proper height giving full articulation of the strut and matching the dynamic spring rate of a paired air spring.

Although the airlift system isn't a bad option either.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 AM
acb

2005 e55 amg
Originally Posted by DuckyAMG
Closed mind and wide open *******, my only question is... Does he give the reach around?

lmao, Im gay because I think your "buddy's" horrible Passat is an abomination and should be crushed? Wow man youve got some serious homophobia issues going on thar. Hey have you seen American Beauty -
that guy Col Frank Fitts, :

yeah thats you

(Hope your buddy dont look like Kevin Spacey )
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Not a fan, sorry.

This "air suspension" slammed look reminds me WAY TOO MUCH of the morons who tuck their ears into an oversized flat-bill baseball cap, as though that doesn't look completely, utterly retarded. It's embarrassing for the person.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Moped
Originally Posted by acb
lmao, Im gay because I think your "buddy's" horrible Passat is an abomination and should be crushed? Wow man youve got some serious homophobia issues going on thar.
Touchy aren't we?

Anyway, +1 for post count. That's why you're posting here right?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Moped
Originally Posted by mugatu22
Not a fan, sorry.

This "air suspension" slammed look reminds me WAY TOO MUCH of the morons who tuck their ears into an oversized flat-bill baseball cap, as though that doesn't look completely, utterly retarded. It's embarrassing for the person.
Fair enough, I think the issue here is the poor fitment of wheels. He could have the same stance as some of the other E55 legends, but he chose to air it down fully.

The wheels camber in as the car lowers, so they wont look as recessed at the normal "ride" height. The problem is, if you space them out or buy lower et wheels to sit more "flush." Then they'll poke or rub at ride height.

You CAN set the air suspension, especially with a bag over coilover option so that when it airs out, it will sit at any height you want.

The UVAIR Aero Sport bag collapses to 4" without being modified. So fully aired out, if there is still suspension travel it will act as if you are riding on bump stops.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 AM

E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Some of you all need to pull your head out of your asses and either contribute or STFU. Zero options for suspension and somebody offers something and we beat him down because we don't like the super slammed look or wheels on a passat? Get real.

Ducky,

Can you valve the air bladders such that you can adjust the performance aspects? Kinda like valving a tradtional shock. Perhaps it's all in the pressure inside the bladder? How much control would you have over that?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

benz
Welcome to Brands Shopping Mall |
brands-b2b.com -- Dropshipping Sports shoes, shirts, and other brands shoes for cheap price, a popular online retailer of sports shoes like Mbt shoes, air jordan 2010, air max 2010, so much top brands on the store. We provide the latest must-have and hottest styles of sports shoes at great discounted prices.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Moped
Originally Posted by Luke_M
Some of you all need to pull your head out of your asses and either contribute or STFU. Zero options for suspension and somebody offers something and we beat him down because we don't like the super slammed look or wheels on a passat? Get real.

Ducky,

Can you valve the air bladders such that you can adjust the performance aspects? Kinda like valving a tradtional shock. Perhaps it's all in the pressure inside the bladder? How much control would you have over that?
Yes you can, but I haven't seen much in terms of valve control, and I think it will have a different result then what you are intending. Generally, 1/4" air lines (as opposed to 1/2" or 3/8" lines) will fill slower and also prevent pressure shifting.

The "bag" acts just like a coiled spring. I am trying to find the PSI to spring rate chart, but you can calculate the spring rate and match the dampening accordingly.

As such, you would want to look at some electronically adjustable shocks, but I really think that's over kill. I think this is what you were thinking more of?? I've had both Koni adjustable and Bilstein and have had good luck with both. The bilstein sport shocks have internal bumpstops, but they tend to be softer then the stiffest Koni setting. The convenience here is they are relatively cheap.

I'm really hoping to make this happen. With any luck, I'll have the winter to have the car apart and look through some different options/ fitment. I am just trying to figure out if it's possible to override the stock system warnings. Unless it's a quick fix, then it really isn't worth the hassle. Maybe I'll talk to a mechanic with STAR.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Ducky

Here is some real basic AirMatic Information, It is a pretty good read and will give you an idea of the depth of engineering involved. By far the largest complaint is a blown strut that can be fixed for $399. The vast majority here have warranties that cover repairs.
BTW AirMatic controls the Headlights too, the electronic side is way more than a warning light.

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...2007-31-02.pdf

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transform the air matic to the air suspension