*** RARFINANCIAL'S THOUGHTS **

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
*** RARFINANCIAL'S THOUGHTS **

Hey Guys, I posted a few things in another thread and thought I should start a new thread. I feel I high jacked the OP. here are A couple post from that thread. I hope this is ok.

I had the chance to stop by Dyno-Comp shop and take a look around. Spoke to Mike ( Hooley ) also Rich (owner of Dyno Comp.) Let me just say that after seeing and hearing about Hooley's New designed Header system, I for one am 100% Going with this setup. The specs, the design and all the R&D done on these headers makes it easy for me to say
" PUT A SET OF THESE MONSTER ///AMG HEADERS ON MY CLS63"With that said I left my beast in Arizona and came on back to Cali. Guys I will let you all know the updates as I get them. These things are a work of ART.
Again I say the design is Simply the smartest I've seen to date. As you all know I have seen and tried just about every mod out there for the 63's..
Thanks Hooley for giving us 63 guys yet another choice for our cars..
One last thing that was REALLY a big surprise to me I offered to leave them a deposit but was told " not until the job is done" WOW

Last edited by rarfinancial; 02-27-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
posted by C32AMG-DTM
Good stuff, rarfinancial. So it sounds like you're replacing your custom Goodspeed LT headers with the MBH headers? Look forward to seeing your before/after dynos between the two header setups - how much are you expected to pick up with the new ones coming?

Best ET: 13.205
Best MPH: 108.91

Best 60': 1.970
Best RT: 0.040
Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Only time will tell. But I will surely let the forum know what my thoughts are with the project. No problems at all with the Goodspeed LT's they do great work. I'm just always looking top top myself. LOL.. MODAHOLIC.
Like I said the data and design really made me think about LT's and these are a different way of bringing power to the street. We have all seen lt's built the same way for years. It's time to bring something new to the table. Like I said we will see what we got here. I can tell you that the quality is 100%
Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Cool. Any revisions being made to your tune, or is it strictly the hardware swap?

Modaholic... LOL; trust me, it's fun to live vicariously through builds like yours, Alan's, Ahmad's, Keith's, etc. - thanks for taking the time to share with the forum... good info for every AMG enthusiast, IMHO.

Last edited by rarfinancial; 02-27-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Oh yes, The tuning fully custom by Renntech and the nitrous 100% reworked . Now that I have a greater knowladge of the 63's, it's time to bring the past 3 years of trial and error toghether. James at ACG has been there from the start and I just got word that he has something special for this round. You see guys many shops and sponsors can work together. It's all about us, the modaholics not what shop or venor thinks they have the best. At the end of the day it's all for fun.. At the end of this new round my CLS63 will have tuning,headers,air box,nitrous system, many carbon fiber parts, brakE setup etc. It will have great looks and great power. It may or may not be the fastest 63 or CLS63, it may or may not be the best looking CLS63 but one thing for sure when it's done it will be ONE BAD AZZ BEAST
A big thanks to all involved.. Lets get this forum back to where it was years ago when we all worked together for the better. LETS HAVE SOME FUN
Old 02-27-2010, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Good thread , It was nice meeting you and getting to finally see the nicest CLS to date. The sound that thing made on the dyno was just insane i could feel it through the ground.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
if the resulting sound and power are anything like the outcome with a 55 you will be very happy. I am a proud MBH header owner...

When my headers came in but before they were out of the box there was a guy at the shop saying things like "nobody makes good headers anymore" and poo pooing on all the headers he had seen for my car. When these came out of the box everybody was drooling- including him.

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2010, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by beauphus
if the resulting sound and power are anything like the outcome with a 55 you will be very happy. I am a proud MBH header owner...

When my headers came in but before they were out of the box there was a guy at the shop saying things like "nobody makes good headers anymore" and poo pooing on all the headers he had seen for my car. When these came out of the box everybody was drooling- including him.
I've been keeping an eye on your mods. Great job. and yes MBH has some high quality product. as well as very good business practices.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i'm a bit surprised that dynocomp is working with you. after what happened with my car they said their new shop policy would be that "...we will not tune any car that was assembled/built at another shop without renntech proven components...". i kind of thought it was more smoke but none the less, i hope your project continues to grow!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i'm a bit surprised that dynocomp is working with you. after what happened with my car they said their new shop policy would be that "...we will not tune any car that was assembled/built at another shop without renntech proven components...". i kind of thought it was more smoke but none the less, i hope your project continues to grow!
Not sure about that I can say that all the shops that have worked on my car have been all authorized Renntech dealers. Also Ken & Jeff from Renntech have always tuned my car since the very first tune 3 years ago. Ken was also involved with the custom header build tuning at Goodspeed. I"ll keep you all updated on the project. It's always exciting doing some thing new to our rides..

Last edited by rarfinancial; 02-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Rick, it's nice to finally here from you again..... I noticed you disappeared for a while after Juicee took the title of the highest trapping NA CLS63 in the world from you when he trapped 121 mph at Sacramento Now I know what you've been up to kidding... but seriously, we need to get you back at the top bro....

The MBH headers do look amazing and very promising.... I am very excited to see the results and gains you pick up over the Goodspeed headers. Also, I noticed you dynoed your car at DynoComp's heart-breaker dyno; what numbers did your car put down with your current setup?

Last edited by MB_Forever; 03-01-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
They are on the top of my list as well, Rick. Good choice.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Rick, it's nice to finally here from you again..... I noticed you disappeared for a while after Juicee took the title of the highest trapping NA CLS63 in the world from you when he trapped 121 mph at Sacramento Now I know what you've been up to kidding... but seriously, we need to get you back to the top.

The MBH headers do look amazing and very promising.... I am very excited to see the results and gains you pick up over the Goodspeed headers. Also, I noticed you dynoed your car at DynoComp's heart-breaker dyno, what numbers did your car put down with your current setup?
We put the car on the dyno but we stopped do to the car going very very rich and misfiring badly.. Up top my car has a problem. Thanks to the great techs there at DC they found the problem quick. My Y-intake tube had a ripped rubber seal and was sucking air badly. We replaced it and tried another dyno run and this time we found there is another problem upper rpm missig. We think it is a bad spark plug, So a true base dyno run was still not yet possible.. I can say this though, the dyno #'s we did get are higher than any of the dyno #'s posted in the C63 thread about the latest dyno day. I'm not starting a big war here just letting you know that the Renntech tune with the headers I have did in FACT dyno higher than the MHP ecu/MHP Header Dyno #'s.. With that said Mo you and I now know why my 1/4 mile times were down from what we thoght they should be. I should have new #'s Monday with the Renntech air box. I really think the NEW Header design will show to be one step above the standard LT design. Also ACG has another mod for me waiting.

Last edited by rarfinancial; 02-28-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
We put the car on the dyno but we stopped do to the car going very very rich and misfiring badly.. Up top my car has a problem. Thanks to the great techs there at DC they found the problem quick. My Y-intake tube had a ripped rubber seal and was sucking air badly. We replaced it and tried another dyno run and this time we found there is another problem upper rpm missig. We think it is a bad spark plug, So a true base dyno run was still not yet possible.. I can say this though, the dyno #'s we did get are higher than any of the dyno #'s posted in the C63 thread about the latest dyno day. I'm not starting a big war here just letting you know that the Renntech tune with the headers I have did in FACT dyno higher than the MHP ecu/MHP Header Dyno #'s.. With that said Mo you and I now know why my 1/4 mile times were down from what we thoght they should be. I should have new #'s Monday with the Renntech air box. I really think the NEW Header design will show to be one step above the standard LT's.
Yeah, I always felt your car should've trapped higher than it did throughout the few track events we've been to Your car was consistently making the power on the dyno, but was just not showing great success on the track at all.... hopefully after this, we get to see new records from the CLS monster

When will the car get done?

Last edited by MB_Forever; 03-01-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Monday we will beging checking the car to make sure everything is running correctly. Then get a base dyno with current setup. Once we get the base Dyno then the Renntech air box gets installed and another dyno to show the gains from the box. Then Hooley begins the
///AMG POWER HEADER side of the project Once the headers are installed then it's magic time again as Ken/Jeff begin the custom Renntech Tuning and we Dyno to show gains. At this point here I figure the dyno #'s will be at the highest 63 N/A dyno #'s to date without getting into the motor (cams/heads etc.) Once that is all said and done we then start from scratch on the new Nitrous setup (all new ideas) And once again dyno to show hp/tq gain with nitrous.. We will have all data graph and I chose this dyno because it IS the HEART BREAKER.
At that point I will consult with James (ACG) to talk about what's next on the list. I am really happy to see all these vendors, sponsors working so closely together as a team. It makes this forum a better forum when we all have the same thing in mind GET THE MOST POWER OUT OF OUR CARS AND HAVE SOME FUN

Last edited by rarfinancial; 03-01-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
Monday we will beging checking the car to make sure everything is running correctly. Then get a base dyno with current setup. Once we get the base Dyno then the Renntech air box gets installed and another dyno to show the gains from the box. Then Hooley begins the
///AMG POWER HEADER side of the project Once the headers are installed then it's magic time again as Ken/Jeff begin the custom Renntech Tuning and we Dyno to show gains. At this point here I figure the dyno #'s will be at the highest 63 N/A dyno #'s to date without getting into the motor (cams/heads etc.) Once that is all said and done we then start from scratch on the new Nitrous setup (all new ideas) And once again dyno to show hp/tq gain with nitrous.. We will have all data graph and I chose this dyno because it IS the HEART BREAKER.
At that point I will consult with James (ACG) to talk about what's next on the list. I am really happy to see all these vendors, sponsors working so closely together as a team. It makes this forum a better forum when we all have the same thing in mind GET THE MOST POWER OUT OF OUR CARS AND HAVE SOME FUN
Awesome keep us updated!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
rarfinancial - good thread; agree it's more pertinent here than "hijacking" a C63 forum thread. Look forward to seeing your project's results.

We put the car on the dyno but we stopped do to the car going very very rich and misfiring badly.. Up top my car has a problem. Thanks to the great techs there at DC they found the problem quick. My Y-intake tube had a ripped rubber seal and was sucking air badly. We replaced it and tried another dyno run and this time we found there is another problem upper rpm missig. We think it is a bad spark plug, So a true base dyno run was still not yet possible.. I can say this though, the dyno #'s we did get are higher than any of the dyno #'s posted in the C63 thread about the latest dyno day. I'm not starting a big war here just letting you know that the Renntech tune with the headers I have did in FACT dyno higher than the MHP ecu/MHP Header Dyno #'s.. With that said Mo you and I now know why my 1/4 mile times were down from what we thoght they should be.
While it's been said over and over "you can't compare different dynos, especially different brands, from different days, parts of the country/world, etc." - I do find one thing here interesting. The highest dyno'ing C63 at that Seattle dyno day had a tune, LT headers, high-flow filters, no cats anywhere, and 18" wheels. Allegedly, that car is running extremely well, and it's AFR was good (if anything, a little lean - which should be good for more power gains). That car dyno'd at 466/430 to the wheels, on a Dynojet. You are saying above that your 1/4 mi. times are down from where they should be, the car isn't running properly (very rich, hardware and/or tuning issues that need to be dealt with) - and yet you put down higher-overall results on Dyno-Comp's Dyno Dynamics than even the best C63 did on that Seattle Dynojet.

I can only think of two possible conclusions - one, your car is so far ahead of the C63's that even when it's not running right, it still puts down world-class numbers. Or two, Dyno-Comp's DD reads on the high side.

Your project, so obviously your call - but one observation in the order you've chosen above: you won't have any data that directly compares your two sets of LT's on equal footing. IMHO, you should get the car and the tuning sorted out - then get your baseline in its current configuration. Then swap headers and with that hardware-switch being the only change, dyno again to see the improvement from just changing LT's. Then airbox, again showing any change/improvement. If you change LT's and tuning in one shot, you'll be able to see if it's overall "better" or "worse" but won't know what did what - maybe the header change picked up all the power and the tuning did nothing (or even lost power), or maybe the tuning makes all the difference and the headers resulted in no change... there will be no way to know. Again, it's your call - JMHO. Either way, look forward to seeing your results!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
DynossSSSSsSsSsSssss, excuses, and most likely drama to ensue. Nothing new here... MBH makes some badass headers though

Edit: Didn't your car make like a bajillion hp not too long ago and you were bragging about having the highest MB dyno numbers (which wasn't true)? So now you are saying it was misfiring badly and running really rich up top and yet still putting down a bajillion whp? Hmmmm

Last edited by blackbenzz; 03-01-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
First things first, If you have never met Rick, He is a great guy.. Very charismatic, and can bring a smile to the faces he is around.

So we get the car on the dyno before Rick has to head back home. We noticed the AFR was spiking to 10 to 1 from 12.5 10 1. Looked like a classic case of unmetered air getting in. So we pulled the intake off and sure enough, there was a rip in the rubber seal. Problem was fixed in about 10min.

Once the problem was sorted out and AFR's were stable. RENNtech's tune was consistently about 20whp stronger up top than the other tune. Im fact both tunes looked like a carbon copy of each other on the graph. Until about 5000 RPM's, when the RENNtech tune was able to pull away... Making more power.

It did look like Rich's car had a very slight stumble, up top. From what I seen it was very slight.. Kind of like 1 plug might be bad. That could be a direct result of the air leak causing the motor to go rich. Then messing up a plug.

Also note : Rick's car does have a set of cats installed and testing was done with the stock airbox. Along with those Extremely nice Vellano wheels, just to make things look nice on the dyno.

This week we will be sorting out some very minor details, then hit the dyno some more. Rework Rick's secret wepon, Install some new MBH Long tube headers. Then just maybe develop a file for this car(63) that no one has

As if this car want a beast already, We are going to try and make it that much more of one. I'll keep you guys updated as the days go on. In the end we will have a set of CLS/E63 long tube headers for you guys at a reasonable price.

BTW: DC's DynoDynamics reads spot on.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Just when I thought the forum was getting back on track..Yawn, Yawn, Blackbenzzzzzzzzz, Please don't ruin this thread with name calling and kid like games AGAIN.. Yes the car did runs high dyno #'s, Many graphs and many different shops and many members here saw the facts, Yes now it seemed to have a problem Which is NO big deal , easy fix and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... Oh and thanks for all the cheer you bring to the forum GREAT JOB.

C32... Yes you're right , we will dyno after each and every step, We want data data and more data.. When it's all said and done I will post results as I always have. I have been looking into buying a C63 for a week now, Those damn C63's They are BAD AZZ
Like I said earlier not starting a war here just bringing info on another AMG project.. Yes every dyno will differ from shop to shop and day to day, We all agree on that. It great to see that we have so many MODAHOLICS out here.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
A Bajjjilion

Blackbenzzzz, Now that's funny.. Good one man

Last edited by rarfinancial; 03-01-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
A Bajjjilion

Now that's funny.. Good one man
Haha oh man thats funny! Good luck with the build!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Glad to see you still loving your car, brother. I also think its pretty cool to have the AZ crew see some of the SD (ACG) RennTech work.

One thing that I would add. If your ONLY concern is 1/4mile, then I have no concerns and see the path as sweet. BUT, if you are talking about any part of the top end, then why go with any of the OEM style boxes? Bro, you will run out of air. I swear it to you. I'm not trying to dig into RennTech's sales, since i know you will pay. So that isn't it. I would spend that $3k another way. That is a crap load of money when it comes to intake mods. The data and results are there, but nobody ever found an aesthetically pleasing setup. Who better than MBH?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Just when I thought the forum was getting back on track..Yawn, Yawn, Blackbenzzzzzzzzz, Please don't ruin this thread with name calling and kid like games AGAIN.. Yes the car did runs high dyno #'s, Many graphs and many different shops and many members here saw the facts, Yes now it seemed to have a problem Which is NO big deal , easy fix and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... Oh and thanks for all the cheer you bring to the forum GREAT JOB.

C32... Yes you're right , we will dyno after each and every step, We want data data and more data.. When it's all said and done I will post results as I always have. I have been looking into buying a C63 for a week now, Those damn C63's They are BAD AZZ
Like I said earlier not starting a war here just bringing info on another AMG project.. Yes every dyno will differ from shop to shop and day to day, We all agree on that. It great to see that we have so many MODAHOLICS out here.
Name calling? When did I do that? To be honest, you've just come on here making rediculous claims about horsepower/dynos and seem to fall way short when it comes to the track. 612.7whp and runing 11's with a not so impressive trap? You said something about having to end the dyno short because you and the operator were scared and still made 612.7whp on a claimed dyno dynamics. It just doesn't add up. So if I have to be the bad guy and put things in perspective so be it. I wish you luck and hope this time it translates to where it matters, the track.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Rick was adamant about track numbers. So I got some track time planed for Rick.. This will be a very fun little build/tweak we got going on here. Now I'm off to go put Rick's car on the lift and see just whats going on exhaust wise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** RARFINANCIAL'S THOUGHTS **