Help with lost key please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Unhappy Help with lost key please!

So my wife lost my key and I have given up all hope of ever finding it so it is time to get another. I have searched through various posts and some things are slightly unclear so here it goes....

The car is an '03 E55 WITHOUT keyless go.

1. I would assume that the only place to order the key is though the dealer as I have heard of past issues with OEMPARTSDIRECT and they appear to have changed their name.

2. My dealer claims that a new "black" key is $250 and will come pre coded and cut (the blade that pops out for manual unlocking) so all I have to do is pick it up with no coding of the car required other than inserting it into the ignition for handshaking. Is this correct?

3. What do I need to know if I want to get the new style chrome key (part number, programing issues, retail cost, etc)?

4. Do I have to worry about the "blade" that pops out of the back of the key for emergency unlocking or does that come with the new key and precut for the locks?

Thanks in advance for any clarification of the above!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
OK I will do my best....

1. Yes you have to go to dealer.

2. I did a fair amount of research before buying a new key for my old E55, and at that time - the black keys were unavailable. It is my understanding you have no choice - the factory in Ft. Worth that produces keys for U.S. only has chrome style available. Yes it comes coded (programmed for buttons/start) and key is cut, so you can insert into trunk lock/door locks/glove-box. Not sure what you mean "handshaking"....

3. See above. Cost seems high though. Should be less than $200. No programming issues.

4. Blade comes pre-cut for the locks (see above again.) Package deal my friend.

Hope I helped
Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Unfortunately it's the dealer for this. You can order the key from the parts department and it takes a couple of days to get in. As you don't have Keyless Go there is not programming required.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
Unfortunately it's the dealer for this. You can order the key from the parts department and it takes a couple of days to get in. As you don't have Keyless Go there is not programming required.
It has to be programmed to lock/unlock/panic/trunk release ??
Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
Okay...here is the whole story.

All new keys are the chrome ones.

There are 2 ways to order a new one: either as a REPLACEMENT KEY or an ADDITIONAL KEY. If you order a replacement key, you don't need programming, but your old one will no longer work (if you end up finding it).

If you order an additional key, it needs to be programmed. (Old one will work if you find it)

The blade is ordered separately from the remote (you can get one or the other, if you need).

The only place to buy a key is at the dealership. They will ask you for a copy of your driver's license and proof of ownership before you can have the key.

Last edited by Busta Riles; 03-04-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
I will throw in my 2 cents as well. You will need a new blade key since the old one wont fit. Usually the counter guy will order it unless you request them not to, but to be safe make sure he does. 250 is not too high for the key price usually vary between 200-275. If the dealer is following MBUSA policy the vehicle will need to be present at the dealer to order the key.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
Okay...here is the whole story.

All new keys are the chrome ones.

There are 2 ways to order a new one: either as a REPLACEMENT KEY or an ADDITIONAL KEY. If you order a replacement key, you don't need programming, but your old one will no longer work (if you end up finding it).

If you order an additional key, it needs to be programmed. (Old one will work if you find it)

The blade is ordered separately from the remote (you can get one or the other, if you need).

The only place to buy a key is at the dealership. They will ask you for a copy of your driver's license and proof of ownership before you can have the key.
Thanks Busta (and everyone else).

My understanding is that if you order one key as a "replacement", that ALL the other keys will not work so you have to order the new key as an "additional".

My understanding is also that you can code the "additional" key to the car yourself through some procedure. Or do you need STAR?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
I can only comment on my 05, but I doubt it has changed. Ordered the key at the dealership and they mailed it to me. Worked fine in the dash, but not as Keyless Go (mine does have it). Called them up and they realized they had ordered the wrong key. Correct key came a few days later. Both work (they didn't ask for the incorrect one back).

No programming at all. All three keys now work (original I hadn't lost plus two new ones).
Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
According to my local stealer, they won't mail you the key anymore. My key experience with a dealer was as follows:

Went to dealership; was told all replacements or additional keys are the "chrome" version; provided VIN number, registration, and ID;
filled out some papers; paid 195 for new transmitter with key insert (with coupon); waited 10 days for callback; picked up at dealer with proof of ownership and ID; was told I can have up to 6 (or 8) active keyless-go transmitters for the car.

Just a few weeks ago I decided to try my backup key and found that keyless go stopped working for that key. It wasn't an issue before, but having not used that one for 8 months may have caused the problem. I had to start the car manually, shut it off, use the key to lock/unlock the car, and then keyless go finally worked for the backup key.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Thanks Busta (and everyone else).

My understanding is that if you order one key as a "replacement", that ALL the other keys will not work so you have to order the new key as an "additional".

My understanding is that you can code the "additional" key to the car yourself through some procedure. Or do you need STAR?
What I understand is just like Busta's.

The dealer would know how many active keys are for your car. If you buy one as an additional key, they won't deactivate any active keys. If you buy one as a replacement, the dealer will deactive the lost key (you may need to bring the one you have so they know which one to deactivate) and issue a new key.

I also heard there were some limits of active keys.

As far as programming goes, no, I don't think you can do it yourself. Even on my old W210, you couldn't do it since the key is not only to open/close the doors. Only dealers can do it.