Sponsored by:

19" tires...Continental ExtremeContact DW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renntech E63S
19" tires...Continental ExtremeContact DW

i think i have been sold on these new Conti's. they are asymmetrics that are supposed to be quiet and grippy with a decent life span. under $1000 for a set. i was really considering the hankook V12, but was told they get pretty loud over time- a function of the directional treads.

i usually use the PS2, but in 19" they are silly expensive, and old technology. sounds like the PS2 is going away this year to make room for the PS3. further, $1500 for tires is getting ridiculous.

any fresh opinions on the subject- particularly the Conti's?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 06 Cayenne S, sold 05 911 S
well my hankooks v12 is pretty good for 780 installed. Can't complain. Not sure bout the conti's i was looking at those for a bit.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Was going through the same debate but just today I decided on the Conti's. I currently have the DWS's on for the winter set up and I absolutely love them. Sticker than any all-season has a right to be (Benz-o-Rama ran an 11.55 with his sl 600 on them) and down right freakish in the wet (didn't test them out in the snow but apparently the same trend continues). If I didn't have 19's coming in I was seriously considering running them year round (I know that a couple of the C63 guys down in Florida are doing just that because they are going through rears in under 8000 miles). The wear rate has been minimal - to the point that when I was at the shop recently, they made a comment to the effect that did I have new tires on (they have about 10-12 burn outs on them and a couple of thousand miles). The side wall is a little soft (but I now actually prefer that because I do mostly straight line cruising) but other than that phenomenal tires. I figured if the DWS are this good, the DW's have got to be worth a shot. That and I'm hoping that the softer side walls (it really is relative) with help a little bit with the sacrifice in compliance that I expect with going from 18's to 19's. I figure that if you want neck snapping, vomit inducing g-force turning ability - one would go out and buy an Atom.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
^^^ @ the Atom. That thing has got to be a ridiculoous amount of fun to drive. I've been looking at the DW's when I decide to get off my NT05's. I had S.Drives before and IMO the DW's look more aggressive (not that it means they are) and have really good ratings everywhere for about the same price and treadlife...
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 PM

Renntech E63S
thanks for the replies. i ordered a set and will give them a go. i just need them to stay quiet and handle well in the wet. i'm not asking much of the car in the dry these days. i don't really toss the machine around corners or do burn-outs. but i would, however, like to continue speeds near 100mph in the pouring rain. the handling characteristic i most enjoy is this cars ability to hunker down at high speed in the wet like it's no big deal. the tires are obviously critical. i'm just tired of paying for ps2's.

thanks for reminding me to remove the atom from the sig. i sold it earlier in the year. it was everything you think it might be, x10. super quick, super-sensitive. perfect track-day car. absolutely perfect. i had the super-charged honda and all the best add-ons (i.e. alcon brakes, double-adjustable koni's) i'm really sorry i sold it, for several reasons. the dude who bought it is from canada and had the car seized at the border for 3 months when he tried to trailer it home. no ****. i'm still not sure where the machine is at this point. this guy who bought it was a real piece of work.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Same reason I decided to go with the DW's. The wet performance of the DWS's are nothing short of astounding. I too like to cruise at high speeds in the rain. As you stated, the way they hunker down is amazing and with the right tires. . .sealed the deal for me.

That's a shame about the Atom. I still love to rip around in go-karts. Can't imagine what it was like to drive that at a track!!!!!!