Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moarr Pictarz: Custom built exhaust with LT Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55K, Duc 848
^^ To add to that so I don't sound like a knuckle head... You can't just use the OBD2 to get the ecu bin/file. You physically have to bench up something to dump the ECU from the ECU chipset to a computer than you can continually flash your "updated" ecu through obd2 once you have the file dumped onto your laptop.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Craigo-

From reading through this thread, you have a very limited amount of understanding the tables and sectors with the algorithms that you are referencing.

Do you have any actual real world experience or are you just referencing things that you were told or read somewhere?

This forum affords you the ability to offer your experiences and opinions but you should really understand what you are talking about. Very similar to the Kool Aid that so many members drank in reference to having their car "dyno tuned." You see how that is working out for some members!

Good luck with your car. AJ and Pat are great at what they do and it is a great thing that they realized your tune is a ticking time bomb. Too bad there are many people that drank the Kool Aid and, once their cars are put into an extended high load situation(4th and 5th gear runs), with the 28deg/29deg of timing on an aluminum block FI car, will eventually cause catastrophic damage!

Also when you ask for your dyno sheet make sure that the correction factor is set to SAE(not STD) and have smoothing set to 5. That will give you your true numbers. Also dyno in 4th. You think your a/f was disturbing in 3rd wait until you see it in 4th! What type of timing was your car experiencing when it was on the dyno?

Sorry to vent and no disrespect intended but there are too many young, inexperienced and clueless owners that are new to MBWorld(the demographics have changed in a very disturbing way(understanding and info related)) and they are "dumbing down" the actual information that is relevant. While sharing your experiences are what forums are about, there is a responsibility that you actually really understand what you are referencing and talking about.

Last edited by TTMotorsports; 04-10-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Craigo-

From reading through this thread, you have a very limited amount of understanding the tables and sectors with the algorithms that you are referencing.

Do you have any actual real world experience or are you just referencing things that you were told or read somewhere?

This forum affords you the ability to offer your experiences and opinions but you should really understand what you are talking about. Very similar to the Kool Aid that so many members drank in reference to having their car "dyno tuned." You see how that is working out for some members!

Good luck with your car. AJ and Pat are great at what they do and it is a great thing that they realized your tune is a ticking time bomb. Too bad there are many people that drank the Kool Aid and, once their cars are put into an extended high load situation(4th and 5th gear runs), with the 28deg/29deg of timing on an aluminum block FI car, will eventually cause catastrophic damage!

Also when you ask for your dyno sheet make sure that the correction factor is set to SAE(not STD) and have smoothing set to 5. That will give you your true numbers. Also dyno in 4th. You think your a/f was disturbing in 3rd wait until you see it in 4th! What type of timing was your car experiencing when it was on the dyno?

Sorry to vent and no disrespect intended but there are too many young, inexperienced and clueless owners that are new to MBWorld(the demographics have changed in a very disturbing way(understanding and info related)) and they are "dumbing down" the actual information that is relevant. While sharing your experiences are what forums are about, there is a responsibility that you actually really understand what you are referencing and talking about.

Don't mean to jump in with my own problem but now i curious about my car, Im having some long tube headers installed to my car and all ready had a custom powerchip tune & asp 180mm pulley installed i also have plm h.e and pump originally my car was tuned with just the pulley. My question is does the longtube headers mess with the a/f ratio to the point were it will need a retune or is it "safe" the way the set up is? Thanks in advance and sorry for crashing the thread all though it is a similar topic?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Craigo-

As you put it, no disrespect intended with this posts as you have generally been very helpful on this site, but your post above aside from the dyno info offers nothing to the thread. You bashed on Cragio and others yet offered nothing of real substance.

Craigo is the first person that I know of that is sharing specifics about the Eurocharged tune which to me and others is significant. Instead of bashing him, can you offer some further insight on this issue?

I even invited Eurocharged to share their opinion on this A/F mixture and blocked sensor concern, and still do not see a response from them.

With my ECU arriving shortly (fingers crossed) I would like to know if I will be running on borrowed time and this is the first 'crack' into a potential issue someone has presented.

As stated, many people have these tunes and if the A/F and sensor info is blocked that should raise significant concerns. I'm sure nobody here wants to blow a motor.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by pearlpower

I even invited Eurocharged to share their opinion on this A/F mixture and blocked sensor concern, and still do not see a response from them.
'Nuff said!

I prefer to substantiate my information through pm's, email and phone calls since I don't believe in getting into pissing contests with misinformed members.

All I was pointing out is that the misinformation that is spewed by MBWorld members has gotten to the point that it is effecting what you can use as useful/truthful/factual information.

I am sure if you speak to any of the hundreds of members that I have helped by educating them to make the best possible decisions fir themselves, they would make sure you know my views are unbiased and backed up by much more information and experiences than what one owner reports about his/her own car.

Take this from my post........

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Just looking out for fellow members and it is what it is!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'Nuff said!

I prefer to substantiate my information through pm's, email and phone calls since I don't believe in getting into pissing contests with misinformed members.

All I was pointing out is that the misinformation that is spewed by MBWorld members has gotten to the point that it is effecting what you can use as useful/truthful/factual information.

I am sure if you speak to any of the hundreds of members that I have helped by educating them to make the best possible decisions fir themselves, they would make sure you know my views are unbiased and backed up by much more information and experiences than what one owner reports about his/her own car.

Take this from my post........

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Just looking out for fellow members and it is what it is!

Fair enough, but can someone share, who else does tunes in the So Cal area?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Fair enough, but can someone share, who else does tunes in the So Cal area?
To the best of my knowledge, there are multiple, reputable shops in So Cal that are authorized distributors for Powerchip, Renntech, and Kleemann - and are vendors in good standing on MBWorld. And that's just off the top of my head, without being local... I'm sure you'd be able to find someone willing to help, depending on what you're looking for.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Craigo-

Bruce -from what I understand you also use someone else to tune and do not tune MBs yourself? I know Craig, and have known JR and Pat for a long time and they all know what they are talking about. JR worked on my car, it was put together well and it also proved itself on the dyno, drag strip and the street.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 AM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
You are right Bruce. I have not provided specifics as I doubt many would understand what something like this would look like. Where have I given out the purple drank here?

You seem pretty helpful. I'm just trying to help out also, I doubt anyone here is seriously consider tuning their OWN ecu, that could become a costly mistake.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Craigo,

You seem to have some knowledge regarding tuning; however, I have to agree with Bruce and address certain points you brought up.

First, It is possible to read out a file from a 2.8 ECU without removing the eprom chip. The ECU must be placed into boot mode and correctly communicated with to read out the complete eprom file where the maps are located.

Second, OBD2 flashing is completely possible without first reading out the file from the ECU if you have matching HW/SW #'s (and sometimes you dont even need those!). The ME2.8 can be written through the OBD2, but not read out.

Third, The screenshot you posted of a WinHex .bin file does not really help anyone understand anything about tuning. Tuning should really not be performed in a Hex editing software, but rather in a map editing software, with proper researched parameters.

Nothing against you, just trying to understand what you are trying to post.

Thanks
Aleks
Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 AM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Craigo,

You seem to have some knowledge regarding tuning; however, I have to agree with Bruce and address certain points you brought up.

First, It is possible to read out a file from a 2.8 ECU without removing the eprom chip. The ECU must be placed into boot mode and correctly communicated with to read out the complete eprom file where the maps are located.

Second, OBD2 flashing is completely possible without first reading out the file from the ECU if you have matching HW/SW #'s (and sometimes you dont even need those!). The ME2.8 can be written through the OBD2, but not read out.

Third, The screenshot you posted of a WinHex .bin file does not really help anyone understand anything about tuning. Tuning should really not be performed in a Hex editing software, but rather in a map editing software, with proper researched parameters.

Nothing against you, just trying to understand what you are trying to post.

Thanks
Aleks
I think I've just said everything you stated throughout this thread... So you are right. The screen shot posted has nothing to do with "tuning" the "fuel map". I guess if you knew what you were looking at you could realize that the immobilizer of an audi is about to be disabled (but again I didn't expect anyone to realize what the SS was referencing). It's funny because I agree tuning should be done with mapping software with proper research/data logging but when I watched LET tune a few cars at a dyno day they were using a hex editor.... to BLOCK channels so it seemed.

Again, I'm not trying to "misinform" anyone here. Just trying to help out.

Bruce, you made a comment that bothered me all night - time to get at you. "I am sure if you speak to any of the hundreds of members that I have helped by educating them to make the best possible decisions fir themselves, they would make sure you know my views are unbiased and backed up by much more information and experiences than what one owner reports about his/her own car."

Does your unbiased input in most cases involve them sending you money for some part you made a profit on?

Last edited by Craigo; 04-11-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:37 AM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
I'm making that video today for the exhaust today.... For anyone that is still patiently waiting and reading through all this other babble.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Craigo
I think I've just said everything you stated throughout this thread... So you are right. The screen shot posted has nothing to do with "tuning" the "fuel map". I guess if you knew what you were looking at you could realize that the immobilizer of an audi is about to be disabled (but again I didn't expect anyone to realize what the SS was referencing). It's funny because I agree tuning should be done with mapping software with proper research/data logging but when I watched LET tune a few cars at a dyno day they were using a hex editor.... to BLOCK channels so it seemed.

Again, I'm not trying to "misinform" anyone here. Just trying to help out.

Bruce, you made a comment that bothered me all night - time to get at you. "I am sure if you speak to any of the hundreds of members that I have helped by educating them to make the best possible decisions fir themselves, they would make sure you know my views are unbiased and backed up by much more information and experiences than what one owner reports about his/her own car."

Does your unbiased input in most cases involve them sending you money for some part you made a profit on?
Tuning should be performed with a comprehensive program that is made to modify maps. Do not be ignorant to other's knowledge, it is very demeaning. Nothing personal in any way, I really like the exhaust system you have on your car, in fact, did you buy those headers from someone in Chicago?

The company you mentioned is tuning incorrectly if they are altering immobilizers. When I say proper researched mapping program, I am referencing either a Winols D@mos file for that specific ECU, or a researched and developed program like Dimsport. Once the remmaping of the ECU is complete, a complete rechecksumm must be performed. I only mention this because it is the only was a car's immobilizer would be brought to question. The only real reason any tuner would use a hex editor is to leave a watermark in the file, and to make changes to HW/SW #'s. Any other changes should be made in a different software.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
[QUOTE=Craigo;4027329]
Does your unbiased input in most cases involve them sending you money for some part you made a profit on?[/QUOTE]

Bruce has been an unbelievable help to me, and I have never spent a dime with him. Not one cent!! In fact, I feel guilty about it. He has spent hours on the phone with me answering questions, or providing me with information just because he is a true enthusiast and wants to share his knowledge and experience to help members of this community.

Either way, best of luck with your new tune. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

Last edited by 930chas; 04-11-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Do not be ignorant to other's knowledge, it is very demeaning.
That can be tossed around a thousand times on this website from every angle.

Beyond the ***** swinging, we have a few blown motors and seemingly a tune that is possibly defective if sensors are locked out and the cars A/F mixture is allowed to run amok. I would think THAT should be the concern.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:45 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
Originally Posted by 930chas
Does your unbiased input in most cases involve them sending you money for some part you made a profit on?[/QUOTE]
Bruce has been an unbeliebevable help to me, and I have never spent a dime with him. Not one cent!! In fact, I feel guilty about it. He has spent hours on the phone with me answering questions, or providing me with information just because he is a true enthusiast and wants to share his knowledge and experience to help members of this community.

Either way, best of luck with your new tune. I am looking forward to seeing the results.
Well that's awesome of him. Thank you, I'll let you all know how it all goes.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
That can be tossed around a thousand times on this website from every angle.

Beyond the ***** swinging, we have a few blown motors and seemingly a tune that is possibly defective if sensors are locked out and the cars A/F mixture is allowed to run amok. I would think THAT should be the concern.
Exactly, I'm just trying to help out anyone before they need serious help.

I hope I'm not falling into any pissing contest. It seems like a few people came in this thread with pee-pee.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Exactly, I'm just trying to help out anyone before they need serious help.

I hope I'm not falling into any pissing contest. It seems like a few people came in this thread with pee-pee.
Burning bridges w/TTMotorsports & others here is no way to start as a newb, get your britches untwisted Bruce is an incredible asset here on MBW. Add this to your algorithms & you'll do well here
Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Thericker
Burning bridges w/TTMotorsports & others here is no way to start as a newb, get your britches untwisted Bruce is an incredible asset here on MBW. Add this to your algorithms & you'll do well here
Craigo is not the one that started to toss around none sense. If someone has something to offer to the rest of us, so be it, I care less what their tenure is. It is about what is right, not who is right.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
Craigo is not the one that started to toss around none sense. If someone has something to offer to the rest of us, so be it, I care less what their tenure is. It is about what is right, not who is right.
Thank you again.

To TheRicker:
I don't even think I've even disrespected Bruce or his company. I definitely didn't burn any bridges either. I guess it wouldn't matter anyway I have no reason to do business with him.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
I'm making that video today for the exhaust today.... For anyone that is still patiently waiting and reading through all this other babble.
[
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 AM

My LET tune runs great but I had the same concerns when I saw Jerry custom tune my car...I asked him to richen it midrange at max torque where it was also very lean. I threw it on the dyno the other day to see how the air/fuel was as I never saw the final result and it was fairly lean still.

BUT to be fair he did tell me that with the stock cats and exhaust on mine with 180mm pulley, he said the tail pipe wideband reads leaner in our cars then directly in the collector. Your doesn't appear to have cats so that wouldn't be a good excuse in your case and maybe the headers leaned it our drastically compared to a stock tune.

I'd have to look to see how lean it read across the board but it looks similar smooth curve but I think mines a little richer overall. Keep in mind I've researched a lot of fuel curves in our cars and many other tuners have the 55 kompressor running leaner then a Turbo variant. Not sure why but the supercharger seems to be more forgiving than a turbocharger running leaner mixtures..

I plan on running custom Long Tube Headers by the end of the month and will contact LET again to see if they can retune my car.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Someone, some place, int his thread asked the question about AFR's when going to long tubes.

From all my experience with Mercedes and headers. It kinda goes like this...

From the factory stock 55k's run rich. Without scrolling into my photo's for dyno runs. I pretty sure they get down into the 10's for AFR. So when adding long tubes on a stock filed 55k, In most cased you lean out the AFR by 1/2 a point. So if your are at 10.5 AFR adding some long tubes might get you to 11 AFR.

Now if you have a tune thats dialed in for your currant mods, then you add long tubes. You might want to get the car retuned. Really though its on a car to car basis. Its something you are going to want to watch on the dyno.

As for the other tuning aspect... I and shutting things off. I dont know any tuner that shuts off a knock sensor.. The only thing I've ever seen seen shut off is the second o2 sensor. That is only for emission use. No one shuts off the 1st o2 sensor. If they did, the car would have know idea what it was doing.... In my day I've seen cars pull timing, detect knock, and what not.. Thats a good thing, If your car didnt know how to do that it could be a short life for that engine.