Finally Took Delivery - Pictures Included - 05E55AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Finally Took Delivery - Pictures Included - 05E55AMG

Long time lurker, finally decided to register. Picked up my CPO 2005 E55 AMG on Tuesday, finally got some free time to do a small photoshoot at the local regional park. I hope you enjoy Car Has Heating, Cooling, Shades, Dynamic, Navigation, Logic-7. No Pano and no PDC. As far as Mods, I can't do anything engine wise since it will void the CPO. I want to spend $1500, so I was thinking some high class deep dish wheels + Spacers etc... I made an appointment for tint, but was told they have to open the door covers to get it done right and I didn't wanna do that. Thoughts on car, wheels etc.. welcome

Attached Thumbnails Finally Took Delivery - Pictures Included - 05E55AMG-e55-007-large-.jpg   Finally Took Delivery - Pictures Included - 05E55AMG-e55-008-large-.jpg   Finally Took Delivery - Pictures Included - 05E55AMG-e55-012-large-.jpg   Finally Took Delivery - Pictures Included - 05E55AMG-e55-019-large-.jpg   Finally Took Delivery - Pictures Included - 05E55AMG-e55-023-large-.jpg  

Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Congrats! Looks really nice. As far as the tint goes, you do not need to open/remove any panels to apply tint. The people who do the tint simply use a tool that pushes the film down inside the door, nothing fancy or difficult about it (the tool looks similar to a putty knife if you are familiar with them).

-Ben
Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenJ
Congrats! Looks really nice. As far as the tint goes, you do not need to open/remove any panels to apply tint. The people who do the tint simply use a tool that pushes the film down inside the door, nothing fancy or difficult about it (the tool looks similar to a putty knife if you are familiar with them).

-Ben
Thanks, their reasoning was that it's a very tight spot and after a few up and downs, there would be many scratches on the tint. They wanted to put something between the inner window and the wrap to cancel this effect.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Silver E55
Very sweet.!!!, I agree, a good tint shop does not need to remove any panels. I would look else where. definitely needs tint. rims would be great and maybe drop it slightly. Black is bad, that was my first choice until I got my Silver one. now Silver with black trim is the way to go.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

E55 AMG
I don't think the E55 AMG can be dropped otherwise that + Sway bars would be my very first mod. I'll make a few more calls tomorrow and see what others say. Black is very nice, until it starts raining and can't do car washes = Swirl marks will show unlike other colors that hide swirls.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM

2005 Silver E55
you can drop the car a number of ways but the easiest and safest is thru the star diagnostic at Mercedes. look up star lowering. the dealership can adjust your ride height 1/2 inch or so and larger rims will be killer. I know what the tint guys are saying but they will thrash you door panels. maybe other who have them can chime in but every car I have done even the E55 never had a problem and it was 4 years with tint.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Banned

E55 AMG
If you do the Star Lowering, will you lose the Sport I, and Sport II options. So what I'm asking is, will you car always stay lowered and you won't have a chance to go to stock height like you do now with No Sport, and Sport I and Sport II. How about when you put the front up to go over speed bumps, will it disengage that option as well?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Congrats and enjoy the ride in good health!

You won't need spacers with "high-class" wheels because you can customize the offset...

BUT...

they will end up being more then $1500 most likely...

Originally Posted by AMG-PWR
If you do the Star Lowering, will you lose the Sport I, and Sport II options. So what I'm asking is, will you car always stay lowered and you won't have a chance to go to stock height like you do now with No Sport, and Sport I and Sport II. How about when you put the front up to go over speed bumps, will it disengage that option as well?
What do you mean if you use Star to lower your car, you will lose Sport I and Sport II options? I am lowered with Star and when I go into Sport I or Sport II, it lowers or raises accordingly. I still have my raise button also on the side that will get me back to about stock height. That's plenty high enough to get over speed bumps or steep driveways...
Old 04-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Banned

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Congrats and enjoy the ride in good health!

You won't need spacers with "high-class" wheels because you can customize the offset...

BUT...

they will end up being more then $1500 most likely...

What do you mean if you use Star to lower your car, you will lose Sport I and Sport II options? I am lowered with Star and when I go into Sport I or Sport II, it lowers or raises accordingly. I still have my raise button also on the side that will get me back to about stock height. That's plenty high enough to get over speed bumps or steep driveways...
Oh, I didn't know you could program the Sport I and II to memorize a certain height. I thought it does a big drop and keeps the car at that height and you could never go back to anything. So let me get this straight. Can you program certain ride height to Sport I and certain height to Sport II and upon choosing whatever option, you'll be at that height?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Oh, I didn't know you could program the Sport I and II to memorize a certain height. I thought it does a big drop and keeps the car at that height and you could never go back to anything. So let me get this straight. Can you program certain ride height to Sport I and certain height to Sport II and upon choosing whatever option, you'll be at that height?
You can't program certain heights into Sport I or Sport II. The guy who dropped my car did it while the car was set in Comfort. Sport I and Sport II was based off of the Comfort setting. They were not programed to be a certain height on it's own. Sport I and Sport II should be relative to where Comfort is. BTW....This is just my 2 cents. I'm in no way a professional.

When it was dropped in Comfort, I clicked into Sport I and the car lowered a bit more from the Comfort setting. Now when I went into Sport II, it lowered a tad more from the Sport I setting. Besides Comfort, Sport I and Sport II, you have the raise button that you can use to raise to car if needed. I hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM

2005 Silver E55
+1 on what he said, that is it in a nutshell.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
m3-addict....
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
as far as wheels go Forgestar's are good looking and right around what your looking to spend.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

E55 AMG
Cool, I'll look into it.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Gorgeous car!!

The front sway bar is already 45mm thick. Stiffer bushings may help but the bar itself is a bit futile (been there).
Wheels it all depends if you want show or go or somehwere in between. I went with 18" HREs and loved them. Most get 19s and some show with 20s. There is a huge difference in ride, especially if you change rolling diameter.

p.s. I'll sell you my HREs for $2500.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned

E55 AMG
^^ I don't think I wanna touch that type of price. I like the Monarch wheels, seem very popular as I've seen them around and the price is insane as well.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 AM

A Prius because I'm green
Originally Posted by intence
m3-addict....
I was sorta thinking the same thing after what Blackbenz posted earlier.

Especially after owning the car for a minute yet he's telling forum members what they know is wrong. You can lower an E55 AMG other then way of sway bars, I have lowering links and you can star lower it as well or with an ELM. You don't lose sport 1 or 2 it just sets the standard running height lower.

As far as tint you don't need to have them take the panels off but they are not pulling your chain either. It's not rocket science to take them off and when mine was done I had them remove the door panels. My shop does it because they remove the entire glass to attach the film to the entire window. It prevents the film from peeling in the future and it allows for use of the windows right away instead of waiting two days until you can roll it down. Also that small notch in the small side window in the rear will not be covered if you have them apply it without removing the glass, and IMO it's cleaner then having them soak the inside of my car while putting it on.

Also they are right in suggesting the tint will be susceptible to scratching and they are suggesting they wrap the inner window liner with moleskin. Most newer cars come like this already and go look at an S class it comes that way. I can show you pics of my two benzs, one with it and one with out and the one with out does have scratching lines on the tint. It cost me $50 to do all four windows. So if ruining the tint is your concern but you want it tinted I'd suggest doing it so you don't get annoyed with a nice car with lines in the tint.

Now go enjoy getting her ready for the ball and congrats!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:49 AM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by intence
m3-addict....
That's what i was thinking.

AMG_PWR: You need to spend a few hours using the search function....everything you want to do has been discussed over & over on this forum.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:55 AM

What key fob came with the car? The original all black plastic one of the new one with chrome lining?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Banned

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
I was sorta thinking the same thing after what Blackbenz posted earlier.

Especially after owning the car for a minute yet he's telling forum members what they know is wrong. You can lower an E55 AMG other then way of sway bars, I have lowering links and you can star lower it as well or with an ELM. You don't lose sport 1 or 2 it just sets the standard running height lower.

As far as tint you don't need to have them take the panels off but they are not pulling your chain either. It's not rocket science to take them off and when mine was done I had them remove the door panels. My shop does it because they remove the entire glass to attach the film to the entire window. It prevents the film from peeling in the future and it allows for use of the windows right away instead of waiting two days until you can roll it down. Also that small notch in the small side window in the rear will not be covered if you have them apply it without removing the glass, and IMO it's cleaner then having them soak the inside of my car while putting it on.

Also they are right in suggesting the tint will be susceptible to scratching and they are suggesting they wrap the inner window liner with moleskin. Most newer cars come like this already and go look at an S class it comes that way. I can show you pics of my two benzs, one with it and one with out and the one with out does have scratching lines on the tint. It cost me $50 to do all four windows. So if ruining the tint is your concern but you want it tinted I'd suggest doing it so you don't get annoyed with a nice car with lines in the tint.

Now go enjoy getting her ready for the ball and congrats!
Very informative, as much as I love tint, I don't want to break the seal on the door panels. Hopefully the rear sunshade and rear window shades will keep the car cool enough.

Originally Posted by Mikesamg
What key fob came with the car? The original all black plastic one of the new one with chrome lining?
They gave me two old plastic keys. I keep it in my pocket 99% of the time since it has Push Start / Keyless Go. They never gave me a valet key or anything, I didn't know if E55s come with such key that can only operate certain part of the car.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:22 AM

Very informative, as much as I love tint, I don't want to break the seal on the door panels. Hopefully the rear sunshade and rear window shades will keep the car cool enough.

They gave me two old plastic keys. I keep it in my pocket 99% of the time since it has Push Start / Keyless Go. They never gave me a valet key or anything, I didn't know if E55s come with such key that can only operate certain part of the car.
There's no seal that will be broken when removing the panels. It's just the inner panels and you could do it yourself it's pretty quick and easy actually. You could remove it for them to ensure nothing is broken.

The valet key is inside of the key fob. On the top of the key is a little slider that you slide over and pull a key out. You use that key to lock up the glove box and the trunk. That way when you give them the key fob, you keep that key and they can't get inside of your trunk or glove box.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
m3-addict

we need ip check!!

Last edited by 930chas; 04-16-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 930chas
m3-addict

we need ip check!!
What does m3-adict mean? Sorry for being noob, I noticed a few others had posted it above too.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
m3-addict = you

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/m...53-mb-ppi.html
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
busted:-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally Took Delivery - Pictures Included - 05E55AMG