A Question For The Techies....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
A Question For The Techies....

1) What would cause the cam lobes to "wear-out"? This is for a 2007 E63 with 60,000 miles with average daily driving miles (a friend's car).

2) How much (approximately) would it cost to replace and fix?

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
1. Lack of lubrication.

2. Depends on where you take it, but I don't have a $$ amount to even guesstimate.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
What do you mean by wear out? If they are pitted at the point where they touch metal, then my guess is always dirt.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Spalling.
To repair requires a complete engine rebuild.
Drain oil, drop the oil pan and take a look at it in the sun.
The metal flake you see, is the cam and lifters.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The dealer claims that only the lobes on the driver side are badly worn and will need replacement. My friend took it in because of a ticking sound that kept getting louder and louder. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jWdT...=youtube_gdata
Old 04-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Yup, sounds like pitted cams. Don't bother trying to upgrade them.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
How can they wear out that fast? My friend has done regular maintenance on the car and does not race it, as it is his daily driver?

Could an aggressive tune has caused the problem? The car is tuned, but I will not say the name of the tuner yet....
Old 04-17-2010, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
that's not a tuning problem!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by jangy
What do you mean by wear out? If they are pitted at the point where they touch metal, then my guess is always dirt.
Routine oil analysis may very well have alerted you to the problem long before it became destructive. Analysis will ALWAYS alert you to the presence of dirt getting into the system. Additionally, repeated analysis will establish a base line as to what's normal for a particular engine
Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by AgSilver
Routine oil analysis may very well have alerted you to the problem long before it became destructive. Analysis will ALWAYS alert you to the presence of dirt getting into the system. Additionally, repeated analysis will establish a base line as to what's normal for a particular engine
My friend changed oil in the recommended periods. He also carried around 2 qtz of oil so that he can top it off when it needed it.

Assuming lack of lubrication is the problem, why would it damage only one side but not the other?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
The tempering of the metal on that cam shaft might not have been good. If we are ruling out oiling issues. It simply could have been less then perfect camshaft. The tune would not do that, so I would rule that out. If I was your friend I would contact the dealer. There is just no reason a cam should be junk so soon.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
The tempering of the metal on that cam shaft might not have been good. If we are ruling out oiling issues. It simply could have been less then perfect camshaft. The tune would not do that, so I would rule that out. If I was your friend I would contact the dealer. There is just no reason a cam should be junk so soon.
He already contacted the dealer and is awaiting final diagnosis and official price of how much it will cost to fix.

Hmmm... so you don't think an overly-aggressive tune coupled with CA pump gas 91 would do that? I think the car had knocking problems in the past, which happened to start (or at least became noticeable) soon after the tune.

I will update everyone once he hears back from the dealer.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Could it be the ****ty oil that is only available now without very Zinc content. Alot of valve train failure from this, hence the reason folks switching to Brad Penn oil. I always run a bottle of Red Line break in lube to bring the Zn levels back up to 1000ppm as a result.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
If the lobes are pitted, then somehow the oil was contaminated. With lack of lubrication, we would see major "blueing" from heat stress and the moving metal parts would sieze.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
If the cam wasn't within MB's hardness or porosity spec it could wear prematurely. I hope the issue is specific to the cam. Because if it wore due to lack of lubrication it's likely there is an issue somewhere else in the engine as well.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
He already contacted the dealer and is awaiting final diagnosis and official price of how much it will cost to fix.

Hmmm... so you don't think an overly-aggressive tune coupled with CA pump gas 91 would do that? I think the car had knocking problems in the past, which happened to start (or at least became noticeable) soon after the tune.

I will update everyone once he hears back from the dealer.

Thanks for your help
if its ok to assume. You would think MB would check the clearances of the cam at full retard and full advance. If the car was known to knock, and that didnt crack the pistons. some problems seem to work there way though the motor causing other areas to crap out.

I would also think MBZ would order some test on the oil and cam hardness. Its problems like this that become really hard to say what exactly was the issue that caused the failure.

I would bet, If an oil test was done. It would come back with a missing or low property in some needed area. Maybe thats just me not wanting to believe Mercedes would have an issue with the hardness of the cam metal.

In any event I hope this problem gets worked out . It will be interesting to see that Mercedes says and does.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Cam Issue ?

My Guess there is an cam shaft And Cylinder head Issue. All the noisy valve train issues I've seen. were on the left Cylinder head only. For some period of time you could not get a Left bank cylinder , When I looked at the Buckets , they had a very funny wear pattern , Like they were not spinning , or were ground wrong, Or the cam was not off set enough. There was several changes made to this engine, to deal with the gear noise and timing chain idler gear teeth , that would just wear out over a short period of time. Good luck !! Look deep. Except nothing less than a full Long Block assy. This type of Failure is not a cause of a ECU Tune. Believe it or not Andy @ MHP saw this early on. Regards _PTEngineering
Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by PTE
My Guess there is an cam shaft And Cylinder head Issue. All the noisy valve train issues I've seen. were on the left Cylinder head only. For some period of time you could not get a Left bank cylinder , When I looked at the Buckets , they had a very funny wear pattern , Like they were not spinning , or were ground wrong, Or the cam was not off set enough. There was several changes made to this engine, to deal with the gear noise and timing chain idler gear teeth , that would just wear out over a short period of time. Good luck !! Look deep. Except nothing less than a full Long Block assy. This type of Failure is not a cause of a ECU Tune. Believe it or not Andy @ MHP saw this early on. Regards _PTEngineering
Yes, this was his post from the AMGPerformance forum/website a couple of days ago:

Originally Posted by MHP
There are a few issues with OEM M156 H/Cs that we can and are addressing with our top ends.

The stock cams are chilled cast iron (soft) the buckets are hardened 9310 steel (diff gear steel, hard), so the cams will always wear more quickly than the buckets. Our cams are also 9310 steel, hardened, and rifle drilled.

The buckets on a M156 are also rather flat, on other (pretty much any other really) OHC motors they are more convex. Combined with cam lobe center spacing slighly offset to one side, this causes the lifter to spin which eliminates most component wear. With these flat buckets, from what we've seen and what the TSBs say, some buckets aren't spinning. Without seeing the car first hand I would put my $ on this as your issue.

One more (the largest) problem remains and likely contributes to both the buckets not spinning, and worn/scored cam lobes. The clue here is $300 Chinese scooter.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Techy stuff

We had talked about some time ago. I have not been to the AMG power sight in a month or so. . I'll check it out. Yacht Master ( Robert), Thats a damn ugly picture , where did you get it // Thanks _PTEngineering

Last edited by PTE; 04-19-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by PTE
We had talked about some time ago. I have not been to the AMG power sight in a month or so. . I'll check it out. Yacht Master ( Robert), Thats a damn ugly picture , where did you get it // Thanks _PTEngineering
Patrick, That pic was posted by a member here at MBWorld, back in 07, he was looking for others with lifter/cam problems (and found a few). As I recall the car had < 6K miles. MB replaced the entire engine.
I have never been a fan of buckets, and I'll leave it at that.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I agree with most posters that it is a contaminant in the oil or lack of lubrication. Both can be tested and verified.

An agressive tune, knocking, etc. can cause even explosions in the chamber but that won't pit your cams.

Another point to be made now that it seems many are buying into Andy's banter again. The cams in the motors are made of a softer metal for a reason. Swapping out the softer (lighter) cams for stronger (heavier) cams will make the head your next weak link. Also, now the cams will be more brittle, so tunes start to matter more.

I dunno why everyone here is acting like pitted cams on a german car is such a big deal, but when I grew up 50k miles was about right for a motor that had been riden hard.