Anybody have an extra 55k block?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Anybody have an extra 55k block?

Does anyone have a 55k block they want to sell? I am really looking for a shortblock but a cheap longblock will do the job as well. Price and location would be nice. I don't need the ECU or trans.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Jesus.....
Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Either something bad happened or you're doing something big or both? I'm subscribing to find out.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by 99DirtybirdWS6
Either something bad happened or you're doing something big or both? I'm subscribing to find out.
Here is a summary of what happened yesterday when I went to the track...

"The news just kept getting worse. First the fittings on the ice res were leaking and one of the hoses had a pinhole leak. I scrambled and threw some stuff together to make it hold for a track day. Then I pull into the track and my power steering starts making noise. I pop the hood in the staging lanes and see ps fluid coming out of cap so I drained the res and zip tied microfiber towel around the cap so I wouldn't get any fluid on the track. I think at that point I literally said "F it, I'm already here and I don't need power steering to go down the track. Might as well run anyway". Did a burnout and went to run. Car felt dog slow and studdered and I looked at wideband with afrs very rich. So I let out and drove around to staging area and popped the hood. Ok, looks like power steering pump is broken and belt popped off. No biggie I will have it fixed the next day when parts come in. Then I look closer and see the pulley on the ps pump is sitting at an angle. Hmmm, look at the mounting points and its sheered off. Not from the pump but what appeared to be the block/bracket/timing cover, wasn;t sure which. Call my buddy and he says it bolts to timing chain cover Ok well that can't be tooo bad right? Then I hear I need to take the heads off to get the cover off. WTFFF!!!! Now I just don't know what to do with the car. I'm so pissed how things went down. I would have reached my goals yesterday that I've worked so hard to get to. I would have felt better if it was a performance failure. But a ****in ps pump??? And it had to happen right when I got to the track??? Guess it's good that it happened before I was going down the track because I would have probably put it into a wall once the ps fluid hit the tires. Such a stupid problem to have and I've never ever heard of it happenning before. Was thinking about just running no power steering and a shorter belt for now, but the tensioner gets in the way. I've always believed in the go big or go home motto. Guess it's time for me to nut up or shut up. "

I'm just weighing all my options at this point. 55k bottom end and bigger crank pulley should be good for an extra 100whp or so. At that point I'd be shooting for 9s. All depends on how much each option is gonna cost me
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Man I am SO sorry to hear this! I know how you feel. It seems you have a good attitude about this and understand **** happens when you are chasing a record. That said, it still sucks!
Good luck, no matter which direction you go you will still be a winner!

BTW, sure it wasn't the LET tune?

Oh J/K....
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
I'm sorry to hear that. Even if you replace the shortblock, is it possible to repair the busted PS mounts? Even if it takes a year to get it all back together it's probably worth it for a 9sec benz. That's going to be hard to top.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Man I am SO sorry to hear this! I know how you feel. It seems you have a good attitude about this and understand **** happens when you are chasing a record. That said, it still sucks!
Good luck, no matter which direction you go you will still be a winner!

BTW, sure it wasn't the LET tune?

Oh J/K....
Bad luck. It's ok though. I have no idea what caused this and would like to figure out the root cause before I try to fix everything and then have it occur again. **** does break when racing, but this is definitely not something I expected. It actually happened before I started racing lol.

Lol, this has absolutely nothing to do with the tune

Originally Posted by 99DirtybirdWS6
I'm sorry to hear that. Even if you replace the shortblock, is it possible to repair the busted PS mounts? Even if it takes a year to get it all back together it's probably worth it for a 9sec benz. That's going to be hard to top.
Replacing the shortblock is not necessary but something I am considering so I can run more boost. Apparently the busted ps mounts are part of the timing chain cover. Once that is replaced the pump (I am gonna buy a new one to be safe) should bolt right back up. It's just a PITA to replace the timing chain cover. If this takes a year please shoot me. Depending on which route I decide to take this will take between 2 weeks and a couple months (working a few hours a week on it. If I had time to wrench right now I could pull the motor today and decide where to go from there. As my friends would say "Do work son"

Last edited by blackbenzz; 04-20-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Sorry to hear Ahmad!!! I hope you can get everything taken care of quickly so you could be back at takin down names!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Ahmad, you should contact Bruce, I'm sure he can help.....
Old 04-21-2010, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
I am soooooo glad it happened off the line!!!! Ugggg Get someone to steal the body of the 210 and you can have the engine. Win..win! jk After all the crap that has broken this last year I can't believe it was the PS line.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Sorry to hear Ahmad!!! I hope you can get everything taken care of quickly so you could be back at takin down names!
Miss you Sun! He will! This record is his for the taking!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Miss you Sun! He will! This record is his for the taking!
Why hello there! It's been a while! Hope all is well...

Ahmad is the man!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Thanks Sun. It will get taken care of. It is just a matter of what I will do and when
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Ahmad, you should contact Bruce, I'm sure he can help.....
Pm sent, thanks.
Originally Posted by BENZGal
I am soooooo glad it happened off the line!!!! Ugggg Get someone to steal the body of the 210 and you can have the engine. Win..win! jk After all the crap that has broken this last year I can't believe it was the PS line.
Yea could have been alot worse had it happened going down the track. It's just SUCH bad luck it happened when I was pulling into the track. Grrrr. Haha I don't want a 210 bottom end I want a 211. Yup, the htought would have never crossed my mind
Old 04-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Has anyone dealt with these people or heard anything about them?

http://www.euroautodismantler.com/
Old 04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by blackbenzz

I haven't heard of them before, but seems like a very good find
Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition

A buddy of mine bought an entire 55k motor from them about a year ago for a project car - motor showed up crated properly, in good shape and ran fine on the dyno. Although, there was an issue with the wiring harness which we had to deal with but other than that the transaction was smooth.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by LZH
A buddy of mine bought an entire 55k motor from them about a year ago for a project car - motor showed up crated properly, in good shape and ran fine on the dyno. Although, there was an issue with the wiring harness which we had to deal with but other than that the transaction was smooth.
Cool, thanks for your input!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Called them and longblock was sold
Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Cool, thanks for your input!
Have you tried either of these dismantlers ?

http://www.silverstardismantlers.com/

or,

http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Sorry to hear about your loss, and I feel your pain about having to remove heads to get at the front cover. Many lifetimes ago I had a leaking oil pump on a toyota pickup and had to remove the head and pan to get the front cover off. How stupid is that?

I have a 55K motor with only 30,000 miles on it, but it will be pricey since it's in my daily driver S55 and you'd have to buy the whole car.

Let me know how bad you want it

The good news: I'm LOCAL! (NoVa) You can try before you buy!

OT:
Love the picture of Alex the Great, haven't seen that before.
I'd sure vote for him, our government could use a leader willing to take a few penalty minutes in order to straighten things out.
Any party will do, I am way beyond caring about red and blue, I'm worried about MY GREEN!

Let's Go Caps!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Caps were awesome last night.. hope they continue to get closer to the finals.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Ahmad, sorry to hear you are having some issues...look at the bright side, everytime you break something you rebuild it a little stronger and a little better and a little faster. I'll put out my feelers on any wrecked or totaled 55's.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by LZH
Have you tried either of these dismantlers ?

http://www.silverstardismantlers.com/

or,

http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/
Thaks for some more leads! At this point I'm going to do a leakdown test and see what condition my motor is in right now. If it looks good I will probably pull the motor and replace the timing chain cover and call it a day. People want too much money for 55k engines
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
Sorry to hear about your loss, and I feel your pain about having to remove heads to get at the front cover. Many lifetimes ago I had a leaking oil pump on a toyota pickup and had to remove the head and pan to get the front cover off. How stupid is that?

I have a 55K motor with only 30,000 miles on it, but it will be pricey since it's in my daily driver S55 and you'd have to buy the whole car.

Let me know how bad you want it

The good news: I'm LOCAL! (NoVa) You can try before you buy!

OT:
Love the picture of Alex the Great, haven't seen that before.
I'd sure vote for him, our government could use a leader willing to take a few penalty minutes in order to straighten things out.
Any party will do, I am way beyond caring about red and blue, I'm worried about MY GREEN!

Let's Go Caps!
Haha so I buy the engine and get a free S55? What a deal!!! Haha

Caps are on a roll. Hopefully going to the game tomorrow night. I was at saturday nights game behind goal and it was amazing!!! Coming back from being down 4-1
Originally Posted by novae500
Caps were awesome last night.. hope they continue to get closer to the finals.
Yes they were. Lord Stanley awaits. First we are going to send the dirty Habs home tomorrow night
Originally Posted by jrcart
Ahmad, sorry to hear you are having some issues...look at the bright side, everytime you break something you rebuild it a little stronger and a little better and a little faster. I'll put out my feelers on any wrecked or totaled 55's.
Thanks Jim. We will see, I may just fix it and keep it the same way. Should be good for mid/low 10s before the stupid ps pump and timing chain cover broke! If I do the shortblock I could run more boost and shoot for 9s
Old 04-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Just did a leakdown test and my motor passed with flying colors. Not quite sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm weighing many options from as simple as just fix it like it was to fully built, standalone, turbo car
Old 04-24-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
fix it and get what you can out of her until she really beaks...then built standalone turbo!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody have an extra 55k block?