W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

CLK DTM. Hot.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010 | 04:45 PM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
My understanding is that car manufacturers are required to certify that their cars meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) in order to be driven on the streets. These standards cover many areas one of which is crash-testing requirements. Carmakers have to be certain that if the NHTSA goes to any dealer in the United States, buys any car and crashes it at 30 mph, the car will pass all of the FMVSS requirements. To ensure that all of the different combinations of engines, transmissions and accessories will pass, carmakers may need to crash 60 to 100 vehicles themselves. Since the DTM comes in one or two configurations only, Mercedes maybe able to get away with crashing only a couple, but it is still a very lengthy process.
Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation!
Old 05-06-2010 | 05:14 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
I've seen that guy at various car get together's. Very chill guy and easy to get along with. Always very friendly and tries to answer everything the best he can. Nice guy with a 2 VERY sick cars!
He is a nice guy. Met him a few times and is a true MB enthusiast. I only saw his Silver CLK DTM but haven't seen his Black Vert.

Originally Posted by LADY_AMG
Ahh...I see. Thanks!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I believe to legalize it, Mercedes would have to wreck 3 to 4 not just 1
I think another way to legalize it is to do an DOT/EPA conversion?
Old 06-09-2010 | 12:16 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
You would think you could buy another silver CLK park it and if you get pulled over hand the PO the registration to the other car. Chances they check your VIN... Highly unlikely????
Exactly, You can make it out to be a CLK 63 BS
Old 06-09-2010 | 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
The Daddy of the current black series.

DTM CLK BS
...or you could just buy a Black Series and mod it like mine and tear up DTMs on the track and still have an extra $100k plus in your bank account. I've got about $200k into my BS and it makes more power and even better, more usable power than the DTM. The DTM is a more rare car and is a highly sought after car for some collectors. Its a great car, but not worth the cash IMO from a performance point of view.

Fact: the Black Series is a couple pounds lighter than the DTM (stock vs. Stock)
Fact: the Black Seeries comes with better brakes than the DTM
Fact: the Black Series comes with better suspension than the DTM
Fact: the Black Series does not come with a ricer wing on it
Old 06-09-2010 | 08:41 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by jrcart
...or you could just buy a Black Series and mod it like mine and tear up DTMs on the track and still have an extra $100k plus in your bank account. I've got about $200k into my BS and it makes more power and even better, more usable power than the DTM. The DTM is a more rare car and is a highly sought after car for some collectors. Its a great car, but not worth the cash IMO from a performance point of view.

Fact: the Black Series is a couple pounds lighter than the DTM (stock vs. Stock)
but fact when modded the DTM will eat the blk
Fact how many actually do track them, to see the suspension difference really come into play

can the suspension be swapped over?

If i had the spare cash it would be SL blk with eyes closed though !!!
Old 06-09-2010 | 09:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
My friend Chad at the local Lotus dealer has one for sale. I chance to mess around with it (not drive) for some R&D ideas.. The CLK DTM comes with what seems to be a tri-y header from the factory.

Old 06-09-2010 | 12:06 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
That Body Kit
Old 06-09-2010 | 12:24 PM

I thought that this car would fall under the "show or display" law (or Bill Gates law) where you can drive it up to 2500 miles a year at your own discretion?
Old 06-09-2010 | 12:27 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
My friend Chad at the local Lotus dealer has one for sale. I chance to mess around with it (not drive) for some R&D ideas.. The CLK DTM comes with what seems to be a tri-y header from the factory.

yes over the normal 55k engine it has from what i have seen the following
  • Bigger tb / Y pipe
  • No by pass flap , it's shut off
  • Bigger surface area for cooling under the supercharge
  • More agressive gearing & shifting
  • AMG headers
  • higher reving engine
  • possbily an airbox mod
  • Different oil cooling
and a host of other goodies

Last edited by Zod; 06-09-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2010 | 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zod
but fact when modded the DTM will eat the blk
Fact how many actually do track them, to see the suspension difference really come into play

can the suspension be swapped over?

A DTM is already "modded", how do you think they are squeezing 580 crank hp out of it? Sure, a tuner can eek a few more ponies out of it, but it already has most of the go fast goodies on it. I love how you 55 guys that think the 5.5 is the greatest motor in the world...one quick question, how come there are only 2 or 3 "modded" FI 55's that can touch my N/A 6.3 (even without NOS)?

A CLK DTM makes 582 crank hp with equates to about 475 +/- RWHP, my car is making close to 650 crank hp (off the bottle), weighs less, has better brakes, and better suspension. The only edge I might give the DTM is it's manumatic transmision, but it being only a 5-speed takes points away from that feature. A CLK DTM listed new for about 250,000 euros (about $310,000). I paid $139,900 for my CLK Black Series and put another approx $70k into it (I spent $20k alone on CF wheels and CF DTM seats), by my math I saved myself $100k and have a better and faster car that is nearly as rare. Don't get me wrong, I love the DTM, I might even buy one someday, but you guys are worshipping this thing like it's a friggin F1 car and at the end of the day it still has a ricer wing on it and cost $100k more than a car built on the exact same frame and chassis that will smoke it.

I laid down this offer before, find someone that owns one and is willing to track it and we will put a pro driver in both cars and see which one turns quicker laps.

As for if the suspension components are interchangable, I don't know for sure, but I doubt it, the Black Series has wider control arms and wider rear axles so I assume the geometry would be different. I suppose you could convert the arms and axles from the BS, but then I'm not sure about the rear-end. Both have a limited slip, but the final drive ratios are different.
Old 06-09-2010 | 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Fact:

sorry
Old 06-09-2010 | 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
A DTM is already "modded", how do you think they are squeezing 580 crank hp out of it? Sure, a tuner can eek a few more ponies out of it, but it already has most of the go fast goodies on it. I love how you 55 guys that think the 5.5 is the greatest motor in the world...one quick question, how come there are only 2 or 3 "modded" FI 55's that can touch my N/A 6.3 (even without NOS)?

A CLK DTM makes 582 crank hp with equates to about 475 +/- RWHP, my car is making close to 650 crank hp (off the bottle), weighs less, has better brakes, and better suspension. The only edge I might give the DTM is it's manumatic transmision, but it being only a 5-speed takes points away from that feature. A CLK DTM listed new for about 250,000 euros (about $310,000). I paid $139,900 for my CLK Black Series and put another approx $70k into it (I spent $20k alone on CF wheels and CF DTM seats), by my math I saved myself $100k and have a better and faster car that is nearly as rare. Don't get me wrong, I love the DTM, I might even buy one someday, but you guys are worshipping this thing like it's a friggin F1 car and at the end of the day it still has a ricer wing on it and cost $100k more than a car built on the exact same frame and chassis that will smoke it.

I laid down this offer before, find someone that owns one and is willing to track it and we will put a pro driver in both cars and see which one turns quicker laps.

As for if the suspension components are interchangable, I don't know for sure, but I doubt it, the Black Series has wider control arms and wider rear axles so I assume the geometry would be different. I suppose you could convert the arms and axles from the BS, but then I'm not sure about the rear-end. Both have a limited slip, but the final drive ratios are different.
Hey J, Would you know if CLK BS axles fit an E55? Anyone has pictures of one? I might run into some trouble with the V12 torque in the E55's body.

Would a Quaife help solve the diff problem? I think these might be the weak parts. Thx
Old 06-09-2010 | 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
there was a DTM on cars.com for sale not even a month ago and i believed it said its road legal in the states and they were asking $450k
Old 06-09-2010 | 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
. I love how you 55 guys that think the 5.5 is the greatest motor in the world...one quick question, how come there are only 2 or 3 "modded" FI 55's that can touch my N/A 6.3 (even without NOS)?
and we love how are keep repeating that you put $$$ into your car.
Old 06-09-2010 | 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Karlson
I'm making the point that I actually saved money compared to a $300k DTM
Old 06-09-2010 | 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Karlson
...what, took down your Capitals avatar after they choked? , I don't blame you.
Old 06-09-2010 | 06:09 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015

what are you on about squeezing ! lol plently more left you can do to it
  • Bigger crank pulley
  • 82mm tb
  • carbon airbox
  • wheels/rotors

thats not counting cams and opening up the engine..leaving NOS out, as it will be over kill

Think of it like this.

What ever you are seeing from the E55 group and their mods this will do much better with, due to what it already comes with, which is only exclusive to it and no other 55k car.

Parts can not be ordered unles you have one , they are not even listed in the data base, due to it being custome Mercedes-AMG GmbH!
  • No by pass flap!!! (this is hugeeeeee +)
  • Revs higher!!!
  • Shorter gear ratios (if not the shortest out of all the 55ks)
  • Fastest shifting 5speed (M1/ M2) modes or somthing along those lines
  • Comes with better cooling everything from the get go, even the infamous (for being small) SC core on it,has a better cooling surface, when compared to other 55ks

crankcase, pistons, valve gear, cooling, intake manifold, supercharger and exhaust system, all upgraded

and that is basicly from what i have dug up...god know what else it has!!!

but alas if you had one, i do not think you would touch it, as it is really a collectors car & stock it is more then fast
Old 06-09-2010 | 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zod
what are you on about squeezing ! lol plently more left you can do to it
  • Bigger crank pulley
  • 82mm tb
  • carbon airbox
  • wheels/rotors

thats not counting cams and opening up the engine..leaving NOS out, as it will be over kill

Think of it like this.

What ever you are seeing from the E55 group and their mods this will do much better with, due to what it already comes with, which is only exclusive to it and no other 55k car.

Parts can not be ordered unles you have one , they are not even listed in the data base, due to it being custome Mercedes-AMG GmbH!
  • No by pass flap!!! (this is hugeeeeee +)
  • Revs higher!!!
  • Shorter gear ratios (if not the shortest out of all the 55ks)
  • Fastest shifting 5speed (M1/ M2) modes or somthing along those lines
  • Comes with better cooling everything from the get go, even the infamous (for being small) SC core on it,has a better cooling surface, when compared to other 55ks

crankcase, pistons, valve gear, cooling, intake manifold, supercharger and exhaust system, all upgraded

and that is basicly from what i have dug up...god know what else it has!!!

but alas if you had one, i do not think you would touch it, as it is really a collectors car & stock it is more then fast
Dude, you need to get your facts straight, the DTM already has a larger pulley, that is how they are making more boost, it also has different cams an IC than a standard 55, I'm not sure about the TB, but I'm sure its bigger than a standard 55. It already has headers and a single cat exhaust system. My point is that you can take an E55 and bolt on 150hp, you can not expect 150hp gains with similar mods to a DTM because it already has some of the go fast stuff factored in to its stock ratings. Lemme know when you can run as quick as a 63 then we can talk.
Old 06-09-2010 | 10:32 PM

Lol, I can buy a cheap Corvette, and modify it to beat almost anything out there, but that doesn't mean I want one.
Old 06-10-2010 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by indyjoe
Lol, I can buy a cheap Corvette, and modify it to beat almost anything out there, but that doesn't mean I want one.

How I feel exactly...I have owned several 6 figure vehicles that could get spanked by a Z06 with bolt ons but I would never buy one in a 100 years.

The CLK63 BS is an awesome automobile and one that I considered owning so I have nothing against it. If I had the disposable funds, I would take a nice slow CLK DTM over the 63 BS any day of the week based on exclusivity and rarity alone. Not to mention that if you don't like the 55K version, there is a 6.2 version that was offered later in the production run of the DTM.

The DTM also deserves credit for being the meanest grocery grabber that money could buy when it was first released.
Old 06-10-2010 | 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Did you forget what happened when the Caps played the Blackhawks? COngrats to the Hawks for winning the cup, job well done. Hockey season is over. I'm sure the avatar will be back next year. We have Ovi and Backstrom signed for the next 10 years. Caps are going to be good for a longgg time.
Dude, you need to get your facts straight, the DTM already has a larger pulley, that is how they are making more boost, it also has different cams an IC than a standard 55, I'm not sure about the TB, but I'm sure its bigger than a standard 55. It already has headers and a single cat exhaust system. My point is that you can take an E55 and bolt on 150hp, you can not expect 150hp gains with similar mods to a DTM because it already has some of the go fast stuff factored in to its stock ratings. Lemme know when you can run as quick as a 63 then we can talk.
You can go larger with the pulley. You can get longtube headers. You can get a bigger throttle body. Etc etc. I don't think there is a single 55 with the amount of money that's in your CLK BS. I bet I could get a E55 to run 10s with less than $15k (in other words less than the price of your wheels and seats). If you wanna argue dollar for dollar, you picked the wrong platform.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 06-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2010 | 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
I changed it right after the season was over, then it was avatar for my motherland national team at world championship, and now it is summer time to drink beer.
Old 06-10-2010 | 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
So good having you back on again Jim. Place was getting boring without ya.

Nah, I was just saying that the DTM was the daddy of the BS as it was the original concept of going ballz out with a handling car for AMG (GTR freak of nature excluded)

Gotta admit that 6-7 years ago, she was the shizzel when she came out eh?

Love the classic Ring vid of it against the Gallar

Last edited by Jakpro1; 06-10-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2010 | 04:20 PM

CLS55 black opal
As stated about the corvette, you could have saved $150k by turbocharging a civic. Or if you still wanted a mercedes, there's a whole slew of C63 guys that could say that you could have saved a ton of money and had a better performing car if you started with a C. The same argument is made with Ferraris and other super exotics.

All it seems is that you go into threads and try to rip on people for what it is that they like or what they want based on your perception of 'value' or if that perception is challenged then you switch to 'performance' and then 'performance by value'.

Since you're so keen on sharing with everyone about how much you spent on your car, why don't you detail what you spent $75k on so everyone else can just laugh about what kind of 'value' you got out of that.

It's cool that you're "pro-63" but you need to just shut up when it's clear that you're arguing a completely different point than everyone.
Old 06-10-2010 | 06:35 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Jim the CLK blk is a very nice car; do not get me wrong
But the engine in it is the same as all the other 63's out there & yes around the track it’s a monster I would not want to mess with!!!

The clk DTM is however the Daddy 55k car, in fact it's Darth Vader of the 55ks , if they had there way with it, it would have surpassed the SLR...but that did not bold well in the eyes of upper management!

Luke can have his SLR !
I have always been a fan of the dark side

The little boy in me just wet him self when he saw it going side ways (maybe not the best clip, but still fun X))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlE5g...eature=related

That’s enough of me being a fan boy

peace!

Last edited by Zod; 06-10-2010 at 06:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK DTM. Hot.