W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sliding roof malfunction - can I fix it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Sliding roof malfunction - can I fix it?

Hi guys,
New guy here, just got my e55 a few months ago. Hoping someone can help with the first issue I've had with the car. It's a 2005 with pano roof. The sliding roof part is broken - I am trying to figure out exactly what the issue is and whether this is something I can fix myself. Basically, I opened the roof with no problem, but when I started to close it, halfway there it started clicking, like it's trying, and got jittery and stopped. Pushing the button back, the roof opened a few inches started clicking and stopped. Spent 30 minutes back and forth, it would go a few inches and start clicking again. Finally pulled with my hands as my wife pushed the button forward to close the last inch or so. I tried using the "crank to close mechanically" method, but that didn't budge much, and it's still clicking. Afraid to try and open it now, so I don't get stuck with an open roof in case it rains. Looks like a mechanical problem, not an electric one, as the clicking continues and the roof moves a few inches at a time. Has anyone else had a similar issues? Can anyone provide a guess as to what's broken and if this is something I can fix myself with the right part (I am hoping there is a cheap cable I can replace, etc ? Anyone have a diagram of what's going on up there? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Sounds like a gear or belt is busted. I would not force it in fear of making things worse.