W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

How do I test the steering angle sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
21 E450 Wagon and 07 SL55
How do I test the steering angle sensor?

Well today I post my car for sale and and as soon as I am done washing it for photos I go to pick up my kids and on the way home it happens!! The steering goes stiff and the messages start popping up on the display ABS failure, ESP Failure, Adaptive headlights error message.

So my question is do I have to go to a dealer to get this code read or is there a simple test to be sure it is this $250 sensor?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Steering went stiff? like the engine wasn't running? check the drive belt first.
Let it dry overnight,,,, have you had any battery issues lately?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 PM

No just the level of boost was reduced. The steering was still assisted but nolonger at the correct level for the speed I was traveling. The belt is not sliping. Battery does not seem to be the issue charging voltage is over 14v and battery is putting out 12v while cranking.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I've blown out my PS pump before, however I cant recall if I got those faults. As for the SAS. I've toasted mine before. I quess its very sensitive to breaking.

When I first R&D'ed my C55 headers the steering shaft had to be removed to mock up and install. While doing that the free spinning steering wheel spun. That killed the SAS. Thats how sensitive it is.

I believe its located behind the steering wheel. IMO, the dealer should be able to pin point it and fix it in only a few hours. Thats if its just a SAS. The stiffness in the wheel is kind of a curve ball, that point to the PS pump.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 PM

My goal is to avoid being ripped off by my local dealer and I am just trying to determine how I may be able to test the SAS. Last time I used my dealer I gave them a list of steps and results from my trouble shooting of an issue and they wasted an hour of shop time pulling codes and billing me for it even after I had fixed all the problems that generated the code and documented that for them.

I see no reason to pay them for a job I can do myself quicker and with more consistent attention to detail.

I checked the belts, Alternator, A/C compressor and PS pump 1st thing when the error occurred.

Past experience tells me that a bad brake light switch error should clear upon restarting the car. Please let me know if there are any chances of me being wrong about the brake light switch as I would prefer swapping in an $11 part to fix this issue over a $250 part

Thanks